Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W3236 Form - used for conscription from 1916

Guest mayesj31

Guest mayesj31

Hi. Can anyone help me with finding out some information about the yellow form W3236, which was sent to those who were going to be conscripted? Do you know if it was known as "the yellow form"? Thanks!

Jane

See this extract from Hansard

Sir J. SIMON

"The second point is one to which, perhaps, the Under-Secretary of State for War would more properly attend. It has to do with this famous yellow form W3236. I said a week ago that this form, as I was told, was being sent out indiscriminately to people whether they were within the Military Service Act or not. That seems a very improper thing to do. It is no answer to say that the individual who receives this form and is outside the Act has only got to say so. We are dealing with people many of whom do not understand their rights, and many of whom are very much alarmed at anything which looks like military or official direction; indeed, they have some reason to be alarmed, because this yellow form, which requires the person to whom it is addressed to join the Colours in the course of the next few days, contains at the bottom an extract from Section 15 of the Reserve Forces Act, 1882, which reminds the gentleman who receives this particular form that if he does not obey he will be dealt with as deserters are dealt with in time of War. It is no use saying that this is a matter which does not matter much, because this form has gone to hundreds and thousands of people who have no conceivable obligations under the Military Service Act. I called attention to this matter a week ago, and I do not believe that it has since been adjusted in the least degree."

29 February 1916