Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1907 Bayonet marks, help please

gerd.deboeck

Last year I bought a 1907 bayonet and scabbart on line. I've been trying to decipher the marks on it but only got as far as "made by Wilkinson" (which is pretty obvious). Could somebody translate these for me? It seems there is no date on it. Is this common?

Thanks for the help,

gerd

post-61729-0-18304000-1337541240_thumb.j

Crown + GR = royal cypher

1907 is the pattern year

The numbers immediately below 3 and ? is MARCH (3) and year - this looks like it might be '17 for 1917 but it is difficult for me to discern (it could be '14 if I squint but I doubt it) These numbers - the date- are above the O and the N) and overstamped with an inspection stamp and what looks like a '20 (1920 reissue) stamp.

Wilkinson as you know is the maker

On the other side the X is a bend test, the crown over 1B over E is an inspection mark and it looks like there is another reissue date '25 on there too

The mark at the top is a mis-struck broad arrow I think

So I would suggest this is a pretty typical later war produced Wilkinson (pretty sloppy marking) which has been reissued at least twice in the 20s

Chris

So I would suggest this is a pretty typical later war produced Wilkinson (pretty sloppy marking) which has been reissued at least twice in the 20s

Chris

Thanks Chris for the swift and complete reply. You got more out of it than I dreamed would be possible. I don't mind the sloppy marking, I my mind I can see the man (or girl by 1917) getting sloppy because he has been producing tens of thousands of them the last 4 years at a rate of ??? per hour .....

Gerd

+1 = ("Zactly wot he said") :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

• 5 months later...

Just add to what has already been mentioned.

Fow WW1, the manufacturer 'Wilkinson' used two ricasso stampings during manufacture = 'Wilkinson' and 'Wilkinson Pall Mall'. These two stampings were used equally. The example illustrated is actually a very tidy stamping compared to most from this manufacturer, as Wilkinson is renowned for partial and miss stampings. Considering that Wilkinson manufacture was in the multi millions.. the consistantly bad stampings are not at all surprising.

Seph

• 2 months later...

Just add to what has already been mentioned.

Fow WW1, the manufacturer 'Wilkinson' used two ricasso stampings during manufacture = 'Wilkinson' and 'Wilkinson Pall Mall'. These two stampings were used equally. The example illustrated is actually a very tidy stamping compared to most from this manufacturer, as Wilkinson is renowned for partial and miss stampings. Considering that Wilkinson manufacture was in the multi millions.. the consistantly bad stampings are not at all surprising.

Seph

Seph, Only now found you extra information. Thanks! Were all of these millions made on the same location or did they have differend production sites?

Gerd