Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bike in tree

bushfighter

post-20901-0-76667200-1332215932.jpg

Just in case this has not been posted before

Harry

Please nobody tell me this story is not true - some stories are too good to be checked.

Roel

How often have they been changing the tyres? I will make an assumption that it isn't in the UK.

Well if he was American, what was he doing going off to war in 1914?

cheers Martin B

What war was he off to and why did he have a childs bike, isn't that a bit sinister?

Martin

He might have been English! However, this smacks of photoshop to me. The bike (and the tyres in particular) looks in too good a condition.

Roger

I suspect that Roger has it. The rear section of the bike is aligned very differently to the front. If a tree grew round the bike, I would not be confident that such distortion would be caused..

Keith

The location of the bike in the tree is Vashon Island, near Seattle, Washington State, USA.

The exact location of the bike tree is near 20312 Vashon Hwy. SW, Vashon Island, WA., USA

Directions:

The bike tree is off of Vashon Highway (which runs between the Seattle and Tacoma ferry ports on either end of the island) on the northeast corner of the Vashon Highway and SW 204 St. intersection, about 50-60 ft (very rough guesstimate) into the woods on the north side of Sound Food Cafe.

post-63666-0-63892900-1332262539.jpg

Whoops - humble pie time.

Daniel - You have settled the question about the existence of the bike, .is there any information anywhere about the lad who left the bike?

Edit - just seen Vista52's post.

Thanks for that link

Keith

1954 as in the link given in Vista52's post 12 seems more plausible than 1914. The bike looks more 1950s than 1910s.

Moonraker

The amazing thing is that every bit of the story is so demonstrably wrong and people went on believing it, presumably because they wanted to.

1. It's obviously a child's bike so its owner unlikely to have gone off to war in 1914 leaving it behind
  2. It's obviously of post WW2 design
  3. It's condition is too good to be that old
  4. It's in the wrong country

and so on.

Does illustrate how it's so difficult to dispel urban myths and conspiracy theories - people believe them because they want to believe them.

BTW Elvis wants to know if he can come back from the Moon now, Lord Lucan has invited him to stay on his ranch in Africa.

BTW Elvis wants to know if he can come back from the Moon now, Lord Lucan has invited him to stay on his ranch in Africa.

Seemingly Elvis wont be able to make it as he left his bike chained to a tree and. . . . . . .

... BTW Elvis wants to know if he can come back from the Moon now, Lord Lucan has invited him to stay on his ranch in Africa.

Will he be able to ride Shergar at the ranch? :rolleyes:

Moonraker

Shame the original poster was barking up the wrong tree. OK, I'll leaf it alone now: I've twigged what's going on.

Edit: sorry, I'd missed the earlier post about the Scottish tree, however a nice poem about it can be found in the second link.

I thought the story was familiar...

The Scottish sycamore version Click & Click

At least the bike - from what you can see of it - look more like a man's of c.1914 even if the story isn't actually true.

NigelS

Well as the old saying goes Ýou can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time but.... you know the rest.

Well as the old saying goes Ýou can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time but.... you know the rest.

Which is just long enough to get elected. [Mr Twain I believe]

As far as I know: a tree is growing from out of the top...

So, if someone left his bike at the bottom of the tree (the normal way I suppose), how could the bike be so high in the tree.

Robert