Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gilbert Myers - 2/8 West Yorks Regt

Gmanx

I'm producing a short animated film of my grandfather's experience of the Great War, and this forum is proving an invaluable resource, thankyou!

I'm trying to pin down where Gilbert was when he was injured, on 20th Nov, 1917.

I believe it to be Cambrai - purely because he's listed as having his wounds assessed at Rouen (on the 21st Nov) which I understand was a major field hospital close to Cambrai.

I'm hoping to be as accurate as I can with my film, so I'm happy to be proved wrong in any and all details. I have Gilbert's MIC and a few other docs, which list him as 306254 Pte. Myers G. 2/8 West Yorks Regt Leeds Rifles. I found a War Diary which covers the 2/8th up to Oct 1917, but can't find anything after that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can lock down as many details as possible now, it will make life a lot easier later on. :)

I'm producing a short animated film of my grandfather's experience of the Great War, and this forum is proving an invaluable resource, thankyou!

I'm trying to pin down where Gilbert was when he was injured, on 20th Nov, 1917.

I believe it to be Cambrai - purely because he's listed as having his wounds assessed at Rouen (on the 21st Nov) which I understand was a major field hospital close to Cambrai.

I'm hoping to be as accurate as I can with my film, so I'm happy to be proved wrong in any and all details. I have Gilbert's MIC and a few other docs, which list him as 306254 Pte. Myers G. 2/8 West Yorks Regt Leeds Rifles. I found a War Diary which covers the 2/8th up to Oct 1917, but can't find anything after that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can lock down as many details as possible now, it will make life a lot easier later on. :)

Hi Gmanx,

According to the regimental history by Wyrall, the 2/8th Bn were heavily involved on 20/11/17, along with the 2/5th, 2/6th and 2/7th Bns in the Battle of Cambrai. The part played by the 2/8th covers about 1.1/2 pages so it would take me too long to type out with two fingers, I could however photo these pages and send them to you via your email if you can let me have an address.

Your grandfather does not receive any mention but this is quite normal for such histories, some officers are named and usually only senior ranks at that!!

Hope this helps,

Robert

Hi Gmanx,

According to the regimental history by Wyrall, the 2/8th Bn were heavily involved on 20/11/17, along with the 2/5th, 2/6th and 2/7th Bns in the Battle of Cambrai. The part played by the 2/8th covers about 1.1/2 pages so it would take me too long to type out with two fingers, I could however photo these pages and send them to you via your email if you can let me have an address.

Your grandfather does not receive any mention but this is quite normal for such histories, some officers are named and usually only senior ranks at that!!

Hope this helps,

Robert

Hello Robert,

Many thanks for your reply. My email address in available by clicking on my avatar (Gilberts Leeds Rifles cap badge) and going down to 'contact info'. It's good to know that I'm on the right track

Gary.

It helps to put a face to the name, so here's Gilbert Myers, age 20 (or 21).

C4-99891_Myers_1-Morris-Row.jpg

By the way - can anyone enlighten me as to what 2/3WRFA could mean next to Gilberts wound record on his Casualty form? Could it be Wilderness and Remote First Aid (my first thought)?

2/3rd West Riding Field Ambulance.:thumbsup:

This would have been one of the Field Ambulances attached to his Brigade.

Nice photo by the way, showing him wearing his Imperial Service badge.:thumbsup:

GMax

So that you know,Rouen was an Ambulance Train ride away from the Front at Cambrai.Your subject would likely have gone down through the Casevac chain,viz.2/3 WRFA,then a Casualty Clearing Station,and then likely a night run on an AT to the General Hospitals area of Rouen,around 200kms to the SW as the railtrack runs,and well back from the ground action.The density of hospitals in that city reflect the fact that the River Seine runs through it and took large seagoing vessels right down to the sea at Le Havre,ideal for the crossing to Southampton,and doubtless a more comfortable transit for the wounded.

Sotonmate

Thank you both for adding so much to what little I know. If Gilbert is wearing an imperial service badge, does that tie the picture to a certain date? There's no date on the original, and I assumed it was taken at the start of his service. The original is completely torn vertically, and will need proper digital restoration - I've just quickly patched it up for now.

C4-99891_Myers_1-Morris-Row_Sml.jpg

Gary,

The Imperial Service badge was worn by Territorial soldiers who had agreed to serve overseas on active service during WW1. It was not compulsory for territorials to go overseas, although I believe that the majority did when asked.

It is probably quite difficult to date the photo exactly, unless of course you know when he enlisted or better still when he proceeded overseas. This type of portrait was usually taken near to the time that a man was due to proceed on active service.

Robert

Gary,

If you are able to access Ancestry there are 25 pages of service papers for your grandfather 3660/306254 Pte Gilbert Myers, 2/8th Bn West Yorks. He enlisted on 26/4/15 and gave his address as: 13, Oldfield Road, Oldfield Lane, Wortley, Leeds.

Perhaps you could confirm that this is him from the address?

Robert

That's good news! I know that he proceeded overseas with the 1/8 West Yorks on 29/10/1917, joined the 2/8 Battn on 1/11 and entered the field on 4/11. So, that photo will probably date from just before he sailed?

I never really thought about this before, but he was only in action for 16 days before being wounded out of service. He was posted back to the front later in 1918, and then continued in service until the end of the war.

Robert - you posted as I was writing - yes, that's him.

I believe that you may have already seen his papers? Did you see that he was also wounded 11/4/17?GSW to Arm, to England H S Princess Elizabeth 22/4/17.

Hi Robert, Yes, I've managed to find some of his papers - making sense of them is quite another thing (for me anyway)! This detective work is all new to me, but I'm getting there!

I wasn't aware, however, that he was wounded earlier than Nov 20th.. Poor fella.

They certainly went through the mill during that war-- poor devils!!

Did you receive my emails? If so, please reply and then I can send you the copies from the R.H.

Yes, thanks Robert - I recieved your email and have just replied.

I'll have another look at Ancestry - it's a while since I first checked it, and I certainly knew a lot less about how to look for and read these docs then. I previously believed he was in the UK until october 1917, so it looks as if I've got plenty of work left to do!

I have a regimental conduct sheet for Gilbert detailing 2 separate diciplinary actions - 1 from 16/1/1918, for overstaying a sick-leave furlough, and one from 9/10/1918, for overstaying some other furlough that I can't quite read properly.

I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to go back after being target practice like that.

Hi Gary,

I haven't received your email, perhaps you could check and see if it has gone?

Robert

Hi Robert,

I've sent emails from two separate email addresses - are you certain that the address you gave me is correct?

Gary.

Hi Gary,

I have just sent you the address again--pretty sure that it was correct first time?

Robert

Must have been some odd delay or server error - all info now received with greatful thanks!

Gary.

That's a great read Robert - what's the book? I think I'll need to get myself a copy.

That's a great read Robert - what's the book? I think I'll need to get myself a copy.

Hi Gary

This is from: "The West Yorkshire Regiment in the War 1914-1918", by Everard Wyrall, in two volumes, 1914-1916 and 1917-1918. I think that this may be available as a reprint from the Naval and Military Press or Amazon Books or Abe Books. An original set would probably cost circa £100 to £120 ish., the reprints probably circa £40 ish. These prices will vary dependent upon individual sellers, condition, etc., etc.

I will try and send you copies tomorrow of the entry around his previous wounding.

Robert

Thanks, Robert. I found reprints of them on Amazon (both volumes) for £36. I believe they're going to be essential reference, and look forward to them arriving in a few days. If it's an easy task to photograph the pages, they'll be very greatfully received, but I can wait until the volumes arrive here if you'd rather.

Thanks, Robert. I found reprints of them on Amazon (both volumes) for £36. I believe they're going to be essential reference, and look forward to them arriving in a few days. If it's an easy task to photograph the pages, they'll be very greatfully received, but I can wait until the volumes arrive here if you'd rather.

Hi Gary,

If you think that I can help further please let me know. I hope the second set of info was useful.

Robert

That additional info has given me insight into a battle I didn't even know Gilbert was in - let alone been wounded in, so I'd say it was very useful! :)