Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sassoon's medals

P.B.

A question for the RWF experts....

Both Pat Barker's novel and the film version of "Regeneration" make reference to Sassoon's disposal of his Military Cross by his throwing it into the Mersey. I'm a little puzzled by this, as Sassoon always seemed proud of this decoration -in contrast to the actor in the film, all the photos I've ever seen show him wearing it's distinctive ribbon, and he himself wrote of a pre-occupation with the left hand side of his tunic which was apparantly common among MC winners. He also recorded his dissappointment later on in learning that he was going to be awarded a Divisional Commander's certificate rather than a bar to his MC for a subsequent action.

Did he actually throw his MC away? And what about his campaign medals? Does anyone know if the group is still together, and whether it is in a museum or private hands? Given that a pair and plaque awarded to an officer who was mentioned in Sassoon's memoirs (unflatteringly) went for a tidy sum at auction this year, one can only speculate as to how much Sassoon's MC group would be worth.

All the best

Paul.

Hello Paul

I have had a bit of a check on the t'interweb and find that opinion swings from him having thrown just his MC ribbon into the Mersey and others say he threw his medal. (The majority seem to come down on the side of him having just thrown his ribbon in). Which is correct, I don't know.

Andy

I have also heard reference to the fact that Sasson threw merely the ribbon away, although whether there is a verifiable Sassoon MC around - perhaps it was unnamed and/or lots of false engravings came onto the market(?) - I have not heard.

If he did this in a fit of pique whilst out on a walk, as I believe was the case, one would assume that he was just wearing his medal ribbon rather than the Cross itself.

Just had a look: Joan Moorcroft Wilson's biography of Sassoon refers to only the MC RIBBON being thrown away into the Mersey when after he had taken a train to Formby, since he construed it as 'the most extreme act of rebellion' against the Army (Duckworth, 1999, Page 383.) No further mention of whether the medal was retained after his military service.

Ironically, Sassoon had early expressed a desire to win the MC, and when he was gazetted the battalion doctor gave Sassoon his own ribbon whilst he awaited the arrival of the award.

Richard

The MC medal is, or was, in the family. His campaign medals were claimed fairly recently [officers had to claim] and I believe they too are still in the family.

As this is a matter for the family [who have suffered dreadful trauma over the years] I suggest it would be polite, now that you have the facts, to shut this discussion down.

I suggest it would be polite, now that you have the facts, to shut this discussion down.

On what basis?

Just good manners. I have stated the historical facts. Beyond that is as personal as, for example, the whereabouts of my father's and grandfather's decorations.

I do not consider there is any more to be said, certainly not by me.

LB,

Sorry, but I honestly cannot see how this would be of such a deeply personal nature that it debate and conjecture should be censored?

I could understand if the address at which they were held were advertised - save for a museum - since it might compromise their security and/or encourage gawpers to turn up out of the blue and harang the family, but otherwise...?

Literally hundreds - if not thousands - of WW1 servicemen's personal details have been posted on the Forum by those who are not blood relatives (if that makes a difference) and that does not cause such concerns. On other threads, countless famous faces from the period have been talked about - not always kindly - and this does not appear to have caused upset.

Thus, I cannot see how a discussion about the approximate status of the WW1 medals of a famous figure from that period, on a WW1 Forum, should be viewed as in anyway off-topic.

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my initial question, and for putting me straight regarding the disposal of the ribbon rather than the cross itself.

I asked about Sassoon's medals for a variety of reasons. At the last DNW sale a group was sold which belonged to a brother officer who was killed -and this is documented in Sassoon's writings- whilst going for a second breakfast one morning. The group went for a high price due to this association, and for this reason I began to wonder what had happened to Sassoon's own medals, especially given the story about his MC. My interest was further aroused by the apparant contradiction of his disposal of the medal with his obvious pride -rightly so- at being awarded it.

I am not a collector of RWF medals, nor could I afford Sassoon's MC anyway, so my motivation was purely out of curiosity, coupled with a genuine interest in this complex and remarkable man. I sincerely hope no-one thought there was a hidden agenda behind my question.

I personally do not see anything wrong with the discussion of any WWI personality on a Great War Forum, providing the tone is not libelous (although you can't libel a dead person) or unneccesarily confrontational. As Richard rightly says, much worse has been said of other figures who also still have living relatives. In my involvement with the collecting of German militaria I have regularly pointed fellow collectors in the direction of public collections were the decorations of famous personalities can be seen, and if I know the object is in private hands then I say so, but the actual "private" bit remains just that. I've never encountered a reaction like this before. However, my question has been answered and as I genuinely have no desire to upset anyone then I'll close this thread by once again thanking everyone who has contributed -including LB, whose knowledge and reservations I do respect.

All the best

Paul.