Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Bray Head

gdmillar

Have been chasing the possibility of finding a rumoured eye-witness acoount and sketch of the SS Bray Head sinking. Couldn't find anything like it on here, but I'm new to the forum and may be making rookie mistakes in my searching. My G-Grandfather James Cameron was Fireman Trimmer on board and was lost on one of the two lifeboats that were launched before she was sent to the bottom by the deck gun of U-44. Any help would be appreciated, Gary

Gary,

I don't know about an eyewitness account or sketch, but I can get you a copy of U 44's KTB (war diary) describing the sinking. The basics are that the submarine fired a torpedo which missed and then opened fire on the steamer, which was defensively armed. Th U-boat was better armed and won the firefight, with Bray Head's crew abandoning ship. U 44 then finished off the steamer my gunnery.

Best wishes,

Michael

Thanks Michael - am beginning to think that the rumours of an eyewitness account are just that! If you have such an account from U-44's KTB I'd be very interested to see it if possible. Gary

Gary,

There would be an official statement about the sinking at TNA.

You can send me an e-mail via my profile to let me know where you'd like the scan from U 44's KTB sent to.

Michael

Bray Head 3077 tons 14-3-1917, 375 miles nW by W of Fastnet described as captured and sunk by submarien gunfire with loss of 21 including master.

While i do not know how many survived the high loss of life is remarkable. It is unlikely she was in convoy at this period so the witnesses would eb the submarien crew. There will be an incident report in the records. The location looks like 300 miles of the west Irish coast so there will be no land witnesses. I have data from the logs of the HMS Zinnia which contains mention of several sinkings well off shore. It is just possible that another of the sloops based at Queenstown Berehaven or Buncrana was in the vicinity.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gary,

I have a sketch drawn by one of the surviving crew rescued and take to Galway. My GFather was Hans Hunsdale seaman from Killyleagh and was lost at sea.

I haven't found a way to add the picture of the sketch as an attachment - Can help?

Do you have a picture of the ship?

GeorgeR

re

Have been chasing the possibility of finding a rumoured eye-witness acoount and sketch of the SS Bray Head sinking. Couldn't find anything like it on here, but I'm new to the forum and may be making rookie mistakes in my searching. My G-Grandfather James Cameron was Fireman Trimmer on board and was lost on one of the two lifeboats that were launched before she was sent to the bottom by the deck gun of U-44. Any help would be appreciated, Gary

Hi Gary,

I have a sketch drawn by one of the surviving crew rescued and take to Galway. My GFather was Hans Hunsdale seaman from Killyleagh and was lost at sea.

I haven't found a way to add the picture of the sketch as an attachment - Can help?

GeorgeR

GaryD,

Welcome to the Forum.

I was able to find some good information both on your relative, and his ship.

The Bray Head -

A Steamer - built 1894 by C.S. Swan & Hunter, Newcastle - GRT 3,077 tons - Operated by Ulster S.S. Co. Ltd., ( G. Heyn & Sons ) Belfast.

14th March 1917 - sunk by gunfire from U-Boat U44 commanded by Kapitanleutnant Paul Wagenfuhr.

Position - 375 miles NW x W off Fastnet.

Location - 50.04 N - 18.50 W

Route - St. Johns, New Brunswick to Belfast.

Cargo - General

Casualties - 21 lost.

20 survived, and for five days were adrift in their lifeboat before being picked up by HMS Adventure.

Crew Casualty Details -

ATKINSON, Fireman and Trimmer, JAMES, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 33. Son of James and Jane Atkinson; husband of Matilda Atkinson (nee McConnell), of Thomas St., Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim. Born at Carrickfergus.

CAMERON, Fireman and Trimmer, JAMES, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 34. Son of William and Ann Jane Cameron; husband of Lizzie Cameron (nee Brennan), of Patterson's Row, Woodburn, Carrickfergus. Born in Co. Antrim.

CARROLL, Seaman, WILLIAM, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 17. Son of Ellen Carroll, of 4, Albert Drive, Carrickfer-gus, and the late Henry Carroll.

CURRY, First Engineer, CHARLES JOHN, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 37. Son of the late William and Jane Curry. Born at Belfast.

DALTON, Fourth Engineer Officer, THOMAS, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 24. Son of David and Harriet Dalton, of Eden, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim. Born at Glasgow.

FERGUSON, Carpenter, JAMES, "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 28. Son of John and Annie Ferguson (nee Leffing), of Carnduff, Larne, Co. Antrim.

HANLON, Second Mate, JAMES, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 29. Son of James and Mary Hanlon (nee O'Keefe), of 4, Northumberland Avenue, Kingstown, Co. Dublin. Born at Kingstown.

HILDITCH, Ordinary Seaman, SAMUEL, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 21. Son of Robert and Sarah Hilditch (nee Ross), of North St., Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim.

HOY, Master, JOHN C., "Bray Head". Mercantile Marine. Killed, as a result of enemy gunfire, 15th March 1917. Age 41. Son of the late Joseph and Mary Isabel Hoy, of Port Davey, Whitehead, Co. Antrim; husband of the late Margaret Brown Gibb (formerly Hoy).

HUNSDALE, Seaman, HANS, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 35. Son of Arthur and Sarah Ann Hunsdale; husband of Mary Jane Hunsdale (nee Alexander), of Irish St., Killyleagh, Co. Down. Born at Belfast.

KANE, Fourth Mate, JAMES MACAULAY, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 15th March 1917. Age 20. Son of John Kane and the late Catherine Ann Kane, of Mullaghdor, Islandmagee, Co. Antrim.

KEENAN, Greaser, WILLIAM, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Died from exposure, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 46. Son of the late Patrick and Mary Keenan; hus-band of Sarah Jane Keenan (nee Gordon), of 6, Economy Place, Belfast. Born at Killyleagh, Co. Down.

MEHAFFEY, 1st Steward, JOHN, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 44. Husband of Emma Beatrice Mehaffey (nee Vosper), of 287, Skegoniell Avenue, Belfast. Born at Belfast.

McAREE, Second Cook, JAMES, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 22. Son of James and the late Kate McAree; husband of Rachel McAree (nee McCann), of 82, Nelson St., Belfast. Born at Belfast.

McFARLANE, 3rd Steward, CHARLES, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 22. Son of Bridget McFarlane (nee Canavan), of 2, Weaver St., St. Joseph's, Belfast, and the late Charles McFarlane.

REID, Seaman, MOSES ALEXANDER, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 18. Son of Emma Reid (nee McCann), of 11A, Fleet St., Belfast, and the late Thomas Andrew Reid.

SIMPSON, 2nd Steward, GEORGE CHARLES, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 26. Son of the late John and Rosetta Simpson. Born at Belfast.

STEWART, Ordinary Seaman, ALBERT DAVISON, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 16. Son of George and Agnes Stewart (nee Davison), of Mullaghdubh, Islandmagee, Co. Antrim.

STEWART, Fireman and Trimmer, JOSEPH, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 25. Son of Hugh, and the late Agnes Stewart; husband of Sarah Stewart (nee Blair), of Schomberg St., Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim. Born at Carrickfergus.

TODD, Fireman and Trimmer, THOMAS MCQUILTY, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 31. Son of James and Isabella Todd, of 39, Lilliput St., Belfast. Born at Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim

KING, Leading Seaman 5/116 Percy George King Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. Born Hastings, Sussex on 24th January 1891.

He was a naval gunner who after serving with the Royal Naval Division at Antwerp in 1914 and at Gallipoli in 1915 joined the (Defensively Armed Merchant Ships ) DAMS in 1916. As pre-war reservist, having joined the RNVR in 1909, he was infact demobilised on 31st January 1917, but appears to have continued without a break in his service as on 14th March he too was lost when the Bray Head was sunk.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

LF

Hi Gary,

GeorgeR

GeorgeR,

Details on your GFather Hans Hunsdale, are shown in the Bray Head's crew casuality list I have just posted.

LF

• 2 months later...

Gary

I have just joined the forum and noticed your query re the Bray Head. I have been researching the sinking for a couple of years - a relative Alex did was one of the casualties. I have seen reference to 2/3 eye witness accounts which I can send plus a copy of a photo if you would like.

Hi George - sorry have been ill and away from the PC for quite a while - had to renew my password etc.

Have you tried looking under the help section beside the log in/out button at top right of the page?

Gary

Hi Gary,

GeorgeR

SS Bray Head was previously the INDRALEMA - you can access an image of her here: My link

Indralema (1) 1894 1900 sold to Ulster S.S.Co., Belfast renamed Bray Head. 3,150

She was built in 1894 and the other details are as mentioned above here. My GGrandfather was James Cameron - Fireman Trimmer.

Gary

I have just joined the forum and noticed your query re the Bray Head. I have been researching the sinking for a couple of years - a relative Alex did was one of the casualties. I have seen reference to 2/3 eye witness accounts which I can send plus a copy of a photo if you would like.

Many thanks - happy to have all this information so freely supplied, much appreciated.

Gary

GaryD,

Welcome to the Forum.

I was able to find some good information both on your relative, and his ship.

The Bray Head -

A Steamer - built 1894 by C.S. Swan & Hunter, Newcastle - GRT 3,077 tons - Operated by Ulster S.S. Co. Ltd., ( G. Heyn & Sons ) Belfast.

14th March 1917 - sunk by gunfire from U-Boat U44 commanded by Kapitanleutnant Paul Wagenfuhr.

Position - 375 miles NW x W off Fastnet.

Location - 50.04 N - 18.50 W

Route - St. Johns, New Brunswick to Belfast.

Cargo - General

Casualties - 21 lost.

20 survived, and for five days were adrift in their lifeboat before being picked up by HMS Adventure.

Crew Casualty Details -

ATKINSON, Fireman and Trimmer, JAMES, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 33. Son of James and Jane Atkinson; husband of Matilda Atkinson (nee McConnell), of Thomas St., Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim. Born at Carrickfergus.

CAMERON, Fireman and Trimmer, JAMES, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 34. Son of William and Ann Jane Cameron; husband of Lizzie Cameron (nee Brennan), of Patterson's Row, Woodburn, Carrickfergus. Born in Co. Antrim.

CARROLL, Seaman, WILLIAM, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 17. Son of Ellen Carroll, of 4, Albert Drive, Carrickfer-gus, and the late Henry Carroll.

CURRY, First Engineer, CHARLES JOHN, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 37. Son of the late William and Jane Curry. Born at Belfast.

DALTON, Fourth Engineer Officer, THOMAS, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 24. Son of David and Harriet Dalton, of Eden, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim. Born at Glasgow.

FERGUSON, Carpenter, JAMES, "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 28. Son of John and Annie Ferguson (nee Leffing), of Carnduff, Larne, Co. Antrim.

HANLON, Second Mate, JAMES, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 29. Son of James and Mary Hanlon (nee O'Keefe), of 4, Northumberland Avenue, Kingstown, Co. Dublin. Born at Kingstown.

HILDITCH, Ordinary Seaman, SAMUEL, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 21. Son of Robert and Sarah Hilditch (nee Ross), of North St., Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim.

HOY, Master, JOHN C., "Bray Head". Mercantile Marine. Killed, as a result of enemy gunfire, 15th March 1917. Age 41. Son of the late Joseph and Mary Isabel Hoy, of Port Davey, Whitehead, Co. Antrim; husband of the late Margaret Brown Gibb (formerly Hoy).

HUNSDALE, Seaman, HANS, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 35. Son of Arthur and Sarah Ann Hunsdale; husband of Mary Jane Hunsdale (nee Alexander), of Irish St., Killyleagh, Co. Down. Born at Belfast.

KANE, Fourth Mate, JAMES MACAULAY, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 15th March 1917. Age 20. Son of John Kane and the late Catherine Ann Kane, of Mullaghdor, Islandmagee, Co. Antrim.

KEENAN, Greaser, WILLIAM, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Died from exposure, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 46. Son of the late Patrick and Mary Keenan; hus-band of Sarah Jane Keenan (nee Gordon), of 6, Economy Place, Belfast. Born at Killyleagh, Co. Down.

MEHAFFEY, 1st Steward, JOHN, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 44. Husband of Emma Beatrice Mehaffey (nee Vosper), of 287, Skegoniell Avenue, Belfast. Born at Belfast.

McAREE, Second Cook, JAMES, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 22. Son of James and the late Kate McAree; husband of Rachel McAree (nee McCann), of 82, Nelson St., Belfast. Born at Belfast.

McFARLANE, 3rd Steward, CHARLES, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 22. Son of Bridget McFarlane (nee Canavan), of 2, Weaver St., St. Joseph's, Belfast, and the late Charles McFarlane.

REID, Seaman, MOSES ALEXANDER, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 18. Son of Emma Reid (nee McCann), of 11A, Fleet St., Belfast, and the late Thomas Andrew Reid.

SIMPSON, 2nd Steward, GEORGE CHARLES, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 26. Son of the late John and Rosetta Simpson. Born at Belfast.

STEWART, Ordinary Seaman, ALBERT DAVISON, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 16. Son of George and Agnes Stewart (nee Davison), of Mullaghdubh, Islandmagee, Co. Antrim.

STEWART, Fireman and Trimmer, JOSEPH, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 25. Son of Hugh, and the late Agnes Stewart; husband of Sarah Stewart (nee Blair), of Schomberg St., Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim. Born at Carrickfergus.

TODD, Fireman and Trimmer, THOMAS MCQUILTY, S.S. "Bray Head" (Belfast). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 14th March 1917. Age 31. Son of James and Isabella Todd, of 39, Lilliput St., Belfast. Born at Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim

KING, Leading Seaman 5/116 Percy George King Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. Born Hastings, Sussex on 24th January 1891.

He was a naval gunner who after serving with the Royal Naval Division at Antwerp in 1914 and at Gallipoli in 1915 joined the (Defensively Armed Merchant Ships ) DAMS in 1916. As pre-war reservist, having joined the RNVR in 1909, he was infact demobilised on 31st January 1917, but appears to have continued without a break in his service as on 14th March he too was lost when the Bray Head was sunk.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

LF

• 4 months later...

Hello, new to this web site tonight. I have photographs of Captain John Currie Hoy, who was lost when commanding Bray Head. One is a single posed shot in uniform. The other is him seated with 11 other men in Head Line uniforms. I do not know which ship they were from. Obviously Bray Head had many more people on board. However, there's some chance that the shipmates pictured could be among the men lost with Bray Head. I also have the newspaper report of the incident where she was lost, if anyone needs it. I found that on microfilm in a public library. It begins...

Larne Weekly Telegraph Saturday June 16, 1917 4th column THE LOST BRAY HEAD. SUFFERINGS OF THE CREW. TOLD IN DUBLIN COURT. "A pathetic and vivid story of the sufferings of the crew of the torpedoed Belfast vessel the ss Bray Head was told on Friday in the Probate Court, Dublin, in the manner of the goods of James McCauley Kane, late of Mullaghdoo, Islandmagee, County Antrim.

I also have a copy of a book on Head Line ships with 1 partial photo of the steamship from its Head Line days.

I gathered all this 13 years ago, researching the War dead of my town, Whitehead. I'd be delighted to share any of this material with anyone out there. I'm also eager to see anything that any of you might have found. (One caveat: I'm new here, dunno the rules on how to exchange anything...)

Regarding my previous post - the group picture I mentioned is now my profile pic in here. I had to shrink it, but it should give some idea of what it looks like...

Regarding my previous post - the group picture I mentioned is now my profile pic in here. I had to shrink it, but it should give some idea of what it looks like...

Steve---send me your e-mail address--mine is wrightwesley@talk21.com --we can compare our list of whitehead men who were lost

Wesley Wright

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Hello all,

Just spotted this thread and thought you might like the following info & photos.  It concerns a family member Moses Alexander Reid who was lost on S.S Bray Head.  He was born in Belfast on the 10th December 1898 to parents Thomas Alexander Reid & Emma Reid (Nee McCann).  He joined the Royal Navy Reserve in 1915 and served on HMHS Britannic and was on board when she hit a mine in the Kea Channel of the Aegean sea and sank.  He was one of the lucky ones that survived. He seems to have left the Royal Navy Reserve in September 1916 and joined the Merchant Navy.  He then served on the S.S Bray Head when she was sunk by the gunfire of U44 in 1917.  He took to one of the lifeboat's but was never seen again, lost at sea.  His name is listed on the Tower Hill Memorial along with the rest of the crew that were lost.

Regards

George2032629818_AlexanderReid-MedalCardN1.jpeg.deca2905379e7acf581bd3cbb9fd6afe.jpeg

1220808847_AlexanderReid.jpg.635ee6671d257a5a48ba129f416bf315.jpg

Alexander Reid - Medal Card N° 2.jpeg

Scanned Image 3 copy.jpeg

Scanned Image 4.jpeg

Ulster Steamship Company Roll of Honour Panel.jpg