Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Brilliant! Interesting engine construction.

Brilliant! Interesting engine construction.

Maudsley engines were unusual in that they had non-detachable cylinder heads and overhead camshafts. They carried on making the same basic design of engine in both 4 and 6 cylinder versions until the late 40's when they bought in diesel engines from AEC. The company only just survived the depression, one year in the early 30's they only made 9 vehicles.

Maudsley engines were unusual in that they had non-detachable cylinder heads and overhead camshafts. They carried on making the same basic design of engine in both 4 and 6 cylinder versions until the late 40's when they bought in diesel engines from AEC. The company only just survived the depression, one year in the early 30's they only made 9 vehicles.

Phil,

Interesting information, many thanks.

Regards,

LF

A very Happy Christmas to everyone.

Men from the Army Service Corps enjoying a ride to the inter-company football match played near Salonika, on Christmas Day, 1916. Serbian Sector, Balkan Front.

Regards,

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-44861900-1419511469_thumb.j

Back to the Army Service Corps Driving School somewhere in Italy, where that same ' Instruction ' vehicle, a Fiat 15 Lorry, has once again been driven off the road by an ASC learner driver on one of the ASC driving course's tight bends.

The Italian Fiat 15 Lorry, was much used by the British Army in Italy.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-44191400-1419602365_thumb.j

A parked convoy of Fiat 15 lorries.

LF

post-63666-0-13194500-1419602788_thumb.j

An Italian Army Fiat 15 lorry, passing British troops on the Italian Front.

LF

post-63666-0-98410200-1419602925_thumb.j

From the Imperial War Museum's model collection, a fine scale model of the Fiat 15 General Service Lorry.

LF

post-63666-0-51262100-1419603129_thumb.j

post-63666-0-20254200-1419603136_thumb.j

The imperial War Museum's Fiat Model 15 General Service Lorry ( Duxford ).

LF

post-63666-0-76905400-1419603376_thumb.j

A British transport convoy led by a Maudslay A-Type Lorry on the road alongside the Dunkerque - Furnes Canal, which connected the French port of Dunkerque with the Belgian town of Furnes.

On the canal, barges are being used to transport British troops.

On October 28, 1914, the lock gates on canal at Furnes were deliberately kept open by the Belgians in order to flood large areas of Belgian land which was under attack by the Germans, thereby depriving the Germans of a speedy advance over that now flooded land.

LF

post-63666-0-35018200-1419691631_thumb.j

British troop transport barges on the Furnes ( West Flanders ) section of the Dunkerque to Furnes Canal, 4th August 1917.

LF

post-63666-0-63249200-1419692757_thumb.j

British troop transport barges on the Furnes ( West Flanders ) section of the Dunkerque to Furnes Canal, 4th August 1917.

LF

post-63666-0-11088300-1419692985_thumb.j

The Gun Carrier Mark I
In the event of a swift breakthrough of the German lines being achieved by the new British Mark I Tanks, there were grave concerns that artillery, ammunition and other support would be slow in following behind the Tanks, and some of the advantages obtained by the rapid progress of the Tanks through the German lines may be lost due to the lack of prompt support, as had been the case with the German's rapid advance against the French at Verdun, which lost some of its momentum due to the difficulty of bringing up artillery and ammunition to support and maintain the German offensive.
The idea of a gun-carrying tank to support the British Mark I Tanks was first put forward by Major Gregg, a military engineer working for the Metropolitan, Carriage, Wagon and Finance Co., who were the main manufacturers of the Mark I Tank.
Major Gregg, proposed that a tracked mechanised artillery carrying vehicle be constructed using parts from the Mark I Tank.
The Gun Carrier, Mark I, as it later became designated, was approved on 5th June 1916, with work on the prototype commencing in July 1916, which was completed with the prototype running at the beginning of 1917, enabling the prototype to take part in the Oldbury Tank Trial held on 3rd March 1917.
As a result of a successful trial, an order for 50 of the Gun Carrier, Mark I was placed with Kitson & Co. of Leeds, with production starting in June 1917 and being completed by July 1917.
The role of the Gun Carrier was to rapidly transport and deploy an artillery piece to the front of the advance, onto ground taken by the Mark I Tanks.
The Gun Carrier's design incorporated an open storage space at the front of the vehicle into which an artillery piece, usually a 60 pounder or a 6-inch howitzer, minus its carriage wheels, could be stored. The gun's carriage wheels were stowed and carried on the side of the Gun Carrier's bodywork to be fitted to the gun's carriage when deployed.
There was the option for the artillery piece to be quickly removed from the Gun Carrier using 2 winches powered by the Gun Carrier's engine, and put into action, or for the artillery piece to be fired from the Gun Carrier itself.
Although originally to be based on the Mark I Tank, and using many of the Mark I Tank's mechanical components, including the Mark I's steering tail wheels, which were later discarded, the Gun Carrier Mark I's purpose on the battlefield necessitated an ultimately completely different design and appearance to that of the Mark I Tank.
On the Gun Carrier Mark I, and located directly behind the storage area for the artillery piece, was an armoured square shell which contained the crew's compartment and the Gun Carrier's engine and transmission. On the original prototype, and driver and the brakeman had each sat in open areas either side of the gun, however, on the production model both the driver and the brakeman were each given tall armoured cabs on either side of the stowed gun's breech.
Also, on the production model, the Gun Carrier's 105-h.p. Daimler petrol engine was fitted in the rear with the transmission shaft leading forwards to the differential located near the front of the armoured compartment. The final drive chains then led back to the drive sprockets at the rear of the track assembly.
The Daimler's 105-h.p. petrol engine gave the Gun Carrier a speed of 3.6 mph, with a range of 23 miles.
48 Gun Carriers and 2 other vehicles adapted as Salvage Tanks were formed into 2 Gun Carrier Companies and sent to France in July 1917, where as well as transporting artillery, the Gun Carriers were also used as Ammunition Carriers.
When transporting a medium gun or howitzer, the Gun Carrier could also carry 64 rounds of artillery ammunition, or when just used as an Ammunition Carrier without the artillery piece, the Gun Carrier could transport 130 rounds of artillery shells equal to 7 tons of supplies.
It was estimated that 6 Gun Carriers with their combined crews of 24 men, could carry a load which would otherwise require 1745 men to carry.
Although there were plans for a Gun Carrier Mark II, it was never finalised and never reached the completed prototype stage.
The Gun Carrier Mark I had a length of 32 feet, a height of 8 feet, and weighed 28.45 tons.
Extracts from various sources including B.T. White's Tanks and other Armoured Fighting Vehicles 1900-1918
The first photograph, shows a Gun Carrier, Mark I without an artillery piece stowed in the front of the vehicle.
Also, note the Driver's and Brakeman's tall armoured compartments either side of the gun stowage area, and behind them, the large square armoured crew compartment.
LF

post-63666-0-06812900-1419779743_thumb.j

The rear of the Gun Carrier Mark I showing the vehicle's steering tail wheels, which were originally fitted, then subsequently discarded. Also clearly shown at the rear of the Gun Carrier, are the rear doors/hatches to the armoured crew compartment.

LF

post-63666-0-51697100-1419780430_thumb.j

LF.

If you turn up a photo showing those rear steering wheels & the rodding/cabeling above them in more detail I would appreciate it.

David

How were these lighters propelled? In post 2985 there seems to be a bit of propellor wake between the two vessels, but not so in post 2985, although they are certainly underway. Back then self-propelled lighters were unknown, or at the least absolute rareties, but I see no hawser either to a bank or for a tug....

Cheers

Colin

LF.

If you turn up a photo showing those rear steering wheels & the rodding/cabeling above them in more detail I would appreciate it.

David

David,

I shall certainly look for such a photo, in the meantime, here is another photograph showing the Gun Carrier's steering tail wheels in the raised position.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-87555600-1419856144_thumb.j

British WW1 Tanks were often given names, this was also the case with the WW1 Gun Carriers.

In the attached photograph, we see the Gun Carrier Mark I ' Kingston ' also marked ' Supply ' going up to the trenches near Miraumont. In this photograph, we can see that the Gun Carrier ' Kingston ' is not transporting an artillery piece, but is loaded with supplies and ammunition for the trenches.

Miraumont, a small village in the Somme region of Northern France, was 9 miles NNE of Albert, and was captured from the Germans by the 42nd ( East Lancashire ) Division on 24th August, 1918.

LF

IWM56435 This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-71774900-1419858901_thumb.j

Colin,

That, is a very good question.

We know that Ambulance Barges, which had no power of their own, were towed along the canals in groups by a small steam tug ( see attached photo ).

We also know that there were smaller barges which had a small smoke stack, which indicates they had a small engine, which was probably steam powered. ( see attached photo ).

In post # 2985, the larger barge without power, is being towed by the smaller barge ( A s 179 ), which again has a small smoke stack towards the bow, indicating that it probably has a small steam engine.

As you say, there is no hawser attached to the canal bank to indicate the barge is being towed by a horse or a vehicle, or is attached to a powered towing line.

Regards,

LF

The first 2 photographs show Ambulance Barges ( without power ) being towed by a small powered tug.
IWM These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-68983500-1419859393_thumb.j

post-63666-0-55015400-1419859448_thumb.j

In the attached photograph of Horse Ambulance Canal Barges, we see that these barges have small smoke stacks, which would indicate that they were probably powered by small steam engines.

LF

post-63666-0-73817000-1419859797_thumb.j

Shown on the right, loaded aboard a train for transportation, is one of the only two Gun Carriers Mark I which were fitted with cranes and utilized as ' Salvage Tanks '.

This photograph, was taken at ' Plateau Station ' prior to the tanks being moved to a forward area for the opening of the Battle of Cambrai.

LF

post-63666-0-11382400-1419943227_thumb.j

At this point can I flag up a book I got for Christmas - 'Between the Coast & the Western Front' by Sandra Gittins. It's secondary title is 'Transportation and supply behind the trenches'. It's a fascinating book, well researched and illustrated and the above photo caught my eye because the book has an interesting section in it about the difficulties that were initially faced in moving the tanks around on the French Etat rail system, on wagons not designed to cope with the size and weight. The book covers all aspects of logistics and more and is in my opinion highly recommended reading material.

David

At this point can I flag up a book I got for Christmas - 'Between the Coast & the Western Front' by Sandra Gittins. It's secondary title is 'Transportation and supply behind the trenches'. It's a fascinating book, well researched and illustrated and the above photo caught my eye because the book has an interesting section in it about the difficulties that were initially faced in moving the tanks around on the French Etat rail system, on wagons not designed to cope with the size and weight. The book covers all aspects of logistics and more and is in my opinion highly recommended reading material.

David

David,

Many thanks for the recommendation, I just ordered a copy.

Regards,

LF

In the attached photograph of Horse Ambulance Canal Barges, we see that these barges have small smoke stacks, which would indicate that they were probably powered by small steam engines.

LF

That may well be the case, modern unpowered lighters used (e.g.) on the Rhine have a small motor to give independent manoeuverability in port, so on a current-less canal when speed was perhaps not of the essence, a small engine may have been enough - but that does give rise to the question of the fuel and where it was stored! Nevertheless, by the look of it walking/marching would have been quicker for fit men.

Cheers

Colin

The barge photo in post No 2986 is featured in the book I have just mentioned above and in this, the author states that the barges were towed by tugs, so presumably the lead vessel in post No 2985 must be steam powered, even though there is little evidence of this?

David