Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prisoner of War

Dannemois

A distant family member, namely 235164 PtWilliam Oscar Davies served with the 4th Battalion YorkshireRegiment when he was taken prisoner of war on April 23, 1917 in the neighbourhood of Arras. He was repartriated December 2, 1918. Amongst his discharge papers is a letter he wrote to his commanding officer in which he made reference to his civilian trade of monumental mason. The following is part of the letter and wondered if anyone have knowledge of the Swedish Monument.

"Imyself cut the names of Forty British Soldiers who died in captivity at Schneidemühl,Germany on the Swedish Granite Monument erected by their comrades, in the LagenCemetery"

Hi

Yes, that's how I read it and I'm hoping someone would reply with a photo of the monument so I can see the quality of his work.

I am sticking my neck out but I believe the reference might be to Swedish Granite.

Just wondering whether it isn't Lager, i.e. camp in German, rather than Lagen. Schneidemühl is now in Poland and is known as Pila. It seems to have been largely destroyed in the second global unpleasantness so the monument may not

still exist.

There is an old Forum thread about prisoners at the camp here

cheers Martin B

Hi Martin

You are quite correct it is Lager; I followed link you suggested and on post #17 by colinalsbury there is a link to a list of prisoners in alphabetical order. Scrolling down the list to surnames begining with D I found my man first on the list Pt W O Davies; so I am looking for a monument in Lager cemetery.

Thanks for that

Roy

Just wondering whether it isn't Lager, i.e. camp in German, rather than Lagen. Schneidemühl is now in Poland and is known as Pila. It seems to have been largely destroyed in the second global unpleasantness so the monument may not

still exist.

There is an old Forum thread about prisoners at the camp here

cheers Martin B

sorry Roy, I meant I thought he was referring to the POW camp cemetery, so it depends on where exactly the camp was and if anything remains on the site

cheers Martin B