Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment

John Beech

Hi

I am trying to find out where the 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment were located between 23rd and 30th March 1918. Can anyone help??

Thanks

John

Hello John.

On the 23rd they were covering the retirement of the 50th (Northumbrian) Division and they were located east of the Somme Canal east of Brei.

Best wishes.

Chris.

Hi

I have this ( I think from the Forum some time ago - no credit to me !!)

On 23rd March 1918, 23rd Brigade were allotted a portion of the Somme River line from St Christ bridge to Eterpigny, on the left of the division. 8th Division was in position by 1300. Attacked during the night and the next day, the Germans found sufficient river crossings to start forcing the Brigades to the right of the 23rd back. 2 W Yorks held firm under Lt Col A E E Lowry MC as right battalion left brigade.

On 25th 2 W Yorks appear to have been in reserve, for they counter-attacked near Eterpigny. The division was withdrawn during during the day to a line between Chaulnes and Estrees.

26/03/18 23 Bde HQ at Soyecourt, and 23 Bde on left of Division. They were heavily attacked but it was repulsed. Further withdrawal came to the Rouvroy-Proyart line, 23 Bde leaving around 1030 taking up the line to the left of the Rosieres position.

27/03/18 Line attacked strongly, but driven off on the left. Later in the morning 50 Div forced to give ground on left, and line was extended left to cover, using div reserve (1 Sherwoods) and 23, 24 & 25 Bdes Headquarters Staff.

28/03/18 8 Div commenced withdrawal to a line Vrely-Caix with 23 Bde on left. In early afternoon they were in danger of being outflanked when the Germans entered Caix from the north. 23 Bde found it difficult to extricate themselves. "The position ... had already become so critical that the greatest difficulty was experienced by the brigade staff in communicating the order to retire to the various units. In some cases the order was never received; and the unit concerned finally on its own initiative fought or attempted to fight its way out. The majority of the 2nd Field Company (Major A. H. Brown, DSO, MC) and of the 2/West Yorkshire were either killed or captured in such circumstances."

28 and 29/03/18 23 Bde in billets at Jumel.

On 30/03/18 2 W Yorks, who numbered but a hundred men, were sent to the assistance of the Canadian Cavalry Brigade in Moreuil Wood. 23 Bde took over a line on the western side of the wood.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello John.

On the 23rd they were covering the retirement of the 50th (Northumbrian) Division and they were located east of the Somme Canal east of Brei.

Best wishes.

Chris.

Chris

Many thanks for this

Regards

John

Hi

I have this ( I think from the Forum some time ago - no credit to me !!)

On 23rd March 1918, 23rd Brigade were allotted a portion of the Somme River line from St Christ bridge to Eterpigny, on the left of the division. 8th Division was in position by 1300. Attacked during the night and the next day, the Germans found sufficient river crossings to start forcing the Brigades to the right of the 23rd back. 2 W Yorks held firm under Lt Col A E E Lowry MC as right battalion left brigade.

On 25th 2 W Yorks appear to have been in reserve, for they counter-attacked near Eterpigny. The division was withdrawn during during the day to a line between Chaulnes and Estrees.

26/03/18 23 Bde HQ at Soyecourt, and 23 Bde on left of Division. They were heavily attacked but it was repulsed. Further withdrawal came to the Rouvroy-Proyart line, 23 Bde leaving around 1030 taking up the line to the left of the Rosieres position.

27/03/18 Line attacked strongly, but driven off on the left. Later in the morning 50 Div forced to give ground on left, and line was extended left to cover, using div reserve (1 Sherwoods) and 23, 24 & 25 Bdes Headquarters Staff.

28/03/18 8 Div commenced withdrawal to a line Vrely-Caix with 23 Bde on left. In early afternoon they were in danger of being outflanked when the Germans entered Caix from the north. 23 Bde found it difficult to extricate themselves. "The position ... had already become so critical that the greatest difficulty was experienced by the brigade staff in communicating the order to retire to the various units. In some cases the order was never received; and the unit concerned finally on its own initiative fought or attempted to fight its way out. The majority of the 2nd Field Company (Major A. H. Brown, DSO, MC) and of the 2/West Yorkshire were either killed or captured in such circumstances."

28 and 29/03/18 23 Bde in billets at Jumel.

On 30/03/18 2 W Yorks, who numbered but a hundred men, were sent to the assistance of the Canadian Cavalry Brigade in Moreuil Wood. 23 Bde took over a line on the western side of the wood.

Greame

Many thanks for this detailed reply.

I am tracing a casualty called Beech who served with this battalion was was killed at this time.

Regards

John

Hello John.

Have you any clue as to when your man actually joined the Battalion?

Looking at his Serial Number, i would presume it is early 1918. Small drafts start to appear in December 1917 but there is a large draft in January 1918. Could this be your man in this latter draft?

If so, i have the location(s) around this period.

Best wishes.

Chris.

Hi John

Don't know if this is any help to you.

Pte 52921 G W Beech , Born: Newcastle, Staffs, Enlisted: Newcastle, Staffs, K in A, 28/03/18.

Gerwyn

• 4 weeks later...

Hello John.

Have you any clue as to when your man actually joined the Battalion?

Looking at his Serial Number, i would presume it is early 1918. Small drafts start to appear in December 1917 but there is a large draft in January 1918. Could this be your man in this latter draft?

If so, i have the location(s) around this period.

Best wishes.

Chris.

Chris

Thanks for this. Apologies for not replying sooner

Regards

John

Hi John

Don't know if this is any help to you.

Pte 52921 G W Beech , Born: Newcastle, Staffs, Enlisted: Newcastle, Staffs, K in A, 28/03/18.

Gerwyn

Gerwyn

Sorry for not replying sooner. This is my man. I am building up a database of Beech casualties and I didn't have detail on him - every little helps

Regards

John

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I'm a newbie on your forum, and i came to find somes informations about an english regiment during the 1st WW.

First, sorry for my approximative english, my mother language is French but i try to write in english...

I live in Ath in Belgium and recently, my Aunt found some inscriptions on a brick of an old house in center town.
With some research, I think that it's probably some soldiers of the 2nd battallion West Yorkshire Regiment.

On these inscription we could read this:

55272 - N. Richardson - Band 2nd W York - 22 nd jan 1919

We have also:

37573 - C.FURNES
and another one that is:
JM HALE - BANK - Leeds
I know that a closed town near Ath, Chievres was delivered in 1918 by the Gordon Highlander, with Colonel Dudley Gordon.
May I supposed that those mens were soldiers in the 2nd battallion West Yorkshire Regiment stated in Ath in 1919?
Could you give me more informations about it?

Thanks a lot.

Phil

post-126435-0-57373400-1452806283_thumb.

Hi Phil

and welcome to the forum

May I suggest you start a new thread under soldiers with your request for information

where I am sure you will be welcomed and receive the info you are requesting

Regards Ray