Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Strike in Glasgow

MichaelBully

Have been trying to find information concerning the May Day strike in Glasgow of 1918, which I understand was partly demanding a negotiated peace. Found a brief reference to it in 'New Penguin History of Scotland- from the Earliest Times to the Present Day' published by Allen Lane 2001. Anyone researched this subject?

Thanks Centurion -had seen this . Other results from websearching seemed to overshadow Mayday in Glasgow 1918 with reference to John MacLean's arrest for sedition in April 1918. I have started wanting to look up more about opposition to the Great War in Glasgow as have been reading John Buchan's 'Mr. Standfast'. Regards, Michael Bully

Apparently it's included in here http://journals.camb...ine&aid=2892940 but it'll cost you £20 a pop

Michael,

There is a book entitled "The Flowers of the Forest" by Trevor Royle which covers Scotland's contribution to the Great War both militarily and domestically including social unrest.

Unfortunately I cannot lay my hand, immediately, on my copy to confirm if the Glasgow Strike is mentioned.My copy is a Paperback edition.

Hopefully a Forum Member,who has immediate access to the Book,will come along and advise if reading it would aid your research.

George

Thanks George- I have treated myself to a paperback edition of 'Flowers of the Forest' from 'Amazon'- I logged in via GWF naturally ! Have an interest in other Great War related subjects to Scotland besides unrest in Glasgow.

Regards, Michael Bully

Thanks Centurion -had seen this . Other results from websearching seemed to overshadow Mayday in Glasgow 1918 with reference to John MacLean's arrest for sedition in April 1918. I have started wanting to look up more about opposition to the Great War in Glasgow as have been reading John Buchan's 'Mr. Standfast'. Regards, Michael Bully

A good book - way back when (longer ago than I want to dwell on) a group of reasonably fit undergrads (including me) undertook Richard Hannay's walk across the mountains in Skye to see if it was possible in the time in the novel. It is (just) but you're not fit for anything afterwards.

BTW the Shark Gladdas flown by Peter Pienaar is almost certainly the Sopwith Dragon (a radial engined version of the Snipe) which never saw service as the Dragon engine proved totally unreliable.

Fascinating -thanks for the information Centurion. I bought the complete Richard Hannay novels in the new low price 'Wordsworth' edition as wanted to have a look at 'Greenmantle' - read this novel and didn't take to it at all, but started reading 'Mr. Standfast' and am enjoying this so much more.

Pleased to have some background information........and as I have an interest in Scotland anyway, I want to make the time to read about the impact of the Great War in Scotland. Will post more about OP when I receive 'Flowers of the Forest'. Regards

'centurion' timestamp='1312325262' post='1625538']

A good book - way back when (longer ago than I want to dwell on) a group of reasonably fit undergrads (including me) undertook Richard Hannay's walk across the mountains in Skye to see if it was possible in the time in the novel. It is (just) but you're not fit for anything afterwards.

BTW the Shark Gladdas flown by Peter Pienaar is almost certainly the Sopwith Dragon (a radial engined version of the Snipe) which never saw service as the Dragon engine proved totally unreliable.

If you are going to read the entire Hannay canon then before you get to The Island of Sheep read The Courts of the Morning in which whilst Hannay is not in involved Sandy and many other characters from the Hannay novels are. It introduces the main villain in The Island Of Sheep and makes this a much more sensible read.

The Three Hostages has an interesting take on the impact of WW1 on national psyches.

Trevor Royle's 'The Flowers of The Forest' has now arrived, I can find one reference to the May Day 1918 on page 242 of the paperback edition

"Glasgow witnessed a huge May Day demonstration attended by around 100,000 people, many of them women, calling for an end to the war."

but have only skimmed through it. There is a chapter on the unrest there at the time titled 'Red Glasgow and Opposing Armaggedon'

This must have been the largest protest against the War.

Appreciate your help once more Centurion. I have tried to revive the thread on John Buchan here

to discuss 'Mr. Standfast'.

Regards

On 04/08/2011 at 05:25, centurion said:

If you are going to read the entire Hannay canon then before you get to The Island of Sheep read The Courts of the Morning in which whilst Hannay is not in involved Sandy and many other characters from the Hannay novels are. It introduces the main villain in The Island Of Sheep and makes this a much more sensible read.

The Three Hostages has an interesting take on the impact of WW1 on national psyches.