Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Waggoner's memorial

Roger H

Speaking to my father tonight over dinner he was recalling a "Waggoner's Memorial" at Sledmere in East Yorkshire. He couldn't remember any details but was sure it was a WW1 Memorial. Can any pal shed any light on this?

Roger

Hi Roger,

I visit it when I can. I was there last week and took some photos. There are 2 fantastic memorials at Sledmere within 100 metres of each other IN FACT ROGER IT WAS GOING TO BE MY "WHERE AM I ?" QUESTION !!!!!:

" I am standing in a village, there are two memorials within 100 metres of me: one commemorates, amongst others, someone who died at Versailles and someone purportedly killed at Verdun, the other, amongst other scenes, the burning of Leuven"

I'll try and post some photos soon.

Steve

Many thanks. Looking forward to the photos. Is one of the two memorials specific to "Waggoners"??

Roger

Yes Roger,

The waggoners memorial tells a brief history of the war and the waggoners participation, in a series of panels.

Steve

Brilliant - have an Orval on me! I look forward to some photos in due course. I am currently at my parents in Somerset, and my 89 year old father is very glad to know that his memory is not playing tricks in his old age!!

Roger

The Waggoner's memorial is the one on the left:

5650465007_5b59be547b.jpg5650465001_95757c7072.jpg

Steve

Now that is what I call service! make it TWO Orvals :thumbsup::lol:

Roger

Here are two of the panels: one showing Leuven, the other waggoners in action:

5650465029_8018809bd2.jpg

5650465023_17b24fa380.jpg

Hi Roger,

I'll try and post photos of all the panels tomorrow but I need to upgrade my Flickr account. In the meantime I'll help Sven with his recent delivery:

5650464991_a1d5637ddf.jpg

Hi Roger,

In the meantime I'll help Sven with his recent delivery:

Steve

:lol: :lol: My offer of two Orvals is pretty insignificant!!!

Roger

Hi Roger,

There are 11 panels, plus one of narrative; I'll post 4 photos, each showing 3 panels; you've then got the whole of the Waggoner's Memorial:

5653285798_64716decc6_z.jpg

And the next:

5653285794_6248c17770_z.jpg

And another:

5653285788_f158db3104_z.jpg

And the final 4:

5653285782_e89708f980_z.jpg

Steve

Many thanks. Most interesting to me and my father. I told him that the GWF was a great resource, but he couldn't believe how quickly you responded yesterday!

Roger

Hi, I believe certain pictures on the memorial caused the German government to complain about it-think it was in the thirties, apparently certain pictures depict german soldiers commiting attrocoties to women and children!. (they always say a picture paints a thousand words!!). I was up there recently and both the memorials and house/history is vey interesting, I saw a trio of medals awarded to one of the waggoners on a auction site last year so I rang Sledmere house and told them to get their wallet out, I think they purchased them for the small museum they have dedicated to the waggoners and the Sykes family. In the meantime if you need any more photos I can get there most weekends. Best wishes, Ian Gawthorpe.

Ian

Thanks for that additional information and for the offer of more photos. I think however that the photos that Steve has posted are sufficient for my needs. My father must have a good memory because it is many, many years since he lived in the area (Scarborough and York)!!

Roger

Hi Roger,

I've just noticed your signature line; one of your Grandfathers was in the 5th battalion Yorks regt, I think they're commemorated on the other memorial - I'll check my photos although Ian may know.

Thanks Steve.

Roger

Hi Roger,

This is the "general" plaque on the "other" Sledmere memorial, is it your Grandfather's unit ?

5657580022_dff4d5aab2_b.jpg

Steve

Yes, my father's father was in the 5th Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment. He went over in April 1915 was wounded by a rifle grenade whilst out on listening patrol in July 1915 and was invalided home with sharpnel wounds to his back and buttocks. He was never fit enough to return to the front. My father says that he never talked about his father's experience but remembers seeing the scars on his back. Thanks again Steve.

Roger

2 lovely memorials on which one of my great cousins is commemorated L/Cpl Harry Clifford Agar died a p.o.w 17/11/1918.

The waggoners website is also a very interesting site if you haven't already had a look.

Harley1962

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon,

If anyone is interested, the Archives & Local Studies Service of East Riding of Yorkshire Council has organised a guided tour (by Sandra Oakins) of the Wagoner's Memorial, meeting at the memorial at 7.15pm on Thursda,y 2 June, 2011.

The event costs £5 and can be booked through ERYC on 01482-392790 or online on www.eastriding.gov.uk/events

In the grounds of Sledemere House there is an interesting little museum to the Waggoners. Alsoi in the village church there is an excellant illuminated book detailing local Wold casualties. It is a heavfty tome!

TT

There is a bit of background history about the memorial. The architect, sculptor, who unveiled it, why it is there etc.

Here on the UKNWM site

"Sept 1938 The German Consul-General in Liverpool complained about the nature of the carvings"

Caryl