Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer kaki cap with blue band

souvigny

Hello,

This officer cap is coming from an old collection. The badge is the 11th hussars one. Does it match the cap with the blue band? I believed it was representative of the yeomanry regiments; The cap has been tailored by Walter Barnard & son, 97 Jermyn street, London.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Laurent

post-3112-0-42480100-1303577503.jpg

Dark blue cap band - Admin. Staff Officer (in this case probably belonging to a Staff Captain)

Dave

AEC didn't exist prior to 1920.

Admin Staff captains were badged to their parent unit so 11th Hussars is OK if correct period (that one on the cap isn't bakelite is it?)

Dave

It looks like a nice, untouched cap. No need to change anything.

• 1 year later...

The cap has been tailored by Walter Barnard & son, 97 Jermyn street, London.

Hi Guys, is this a standard cap design? Did 'private purchase' tailors have to stick to an approved WD design? Did they have to tailor in wool or could they have been, let's say - drill, for example? Are they standard buttons on this cap as well as they are "rolled" leather buttons and I would have expected them to have be supplied metal buttons? Lots of questions. Just really interested in hats.

ANZAC

Funny this one got bumped up, got several days to run on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/...&_qi=RTM1223620

Do I detect a note of scepticism?

Actually the opposite - I had recently seen the cap on Ebay myself, and when I initially read the thread and saw the pictures I thought it was one of those "I want the experts to confirm this item on Ebay is right without obviously putting a link to the listing and potentially attracting bids from the same people whose opinions I'm seeking" type threads. Then I saw the date of the original post, and the posters name as compared to the Ebay sellers name... :doh: