Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sutton-in-Craven War Memorial – 90th Anniversary Gathering

sutton-in-craven

Saturday the 19th March 2011 marks the 90th anniversary of the unveiling of Sutton-in-Craven war memorial by Lt-Col C.M. Bateman on the 19th March 1921.

As such there is going to be an informal historic ceremony in the village park where the memorial is situated to mark the occasion. The names of all 40 servicemen from Sutton-in-Craven who fell during the Great War will be read out as a small token of thanks for the tremendous sacrifice they made. The agenda for the ceremony is as follows:

Sutton War Memorial – 90th Anniversary Gathering

SATURDAY 19TH MARCH 2011

• Gather in Sutton Park at the War Memorial 13.45

• Home Guard parade to War Memorial commences at 14.00 as church clock strikes

• Welcome – Dr John Laycock

• Poem – Peter Whitaker

• Role of Honour – Malcolm Reeves on behalf of Andrew Monkhouse

• Laying of wreath – WW1 'soldier'

• Blessing – Revd Canon Michael Cowgill

• Closing Home Guard parade.

The Craven Herald newspaper should be including a short article in their next issue.

The ceremony that is about to take place on Saturday 19th March will certainly stimulate a poignant sense of occasion for those who will be in attendance. Less than one hundred years ago these 40 men walked the streets of Sutton-in-Craven and lived in the same houses that are still here today.

Young and not so young residents and friends of the village are welcome to join this informal historical event which will commence at 2.00pm.

I'd like to thank Dr John Laycock for organizing and arranging this important historic anniversary.

post-47732-0-91858300-1300336258.jpg

Hi Andrew,

We are hoping to attend(all things being equal) on Saturday and look forward to seeing the "Team Harry" gang again--it's a real shame that you can't be there--or are you going to suprise us all and drop in by parachute!!?

I'm afraid that it will be straight back home for the final weekend of the '6 Nations', once the ceremony has taken place.

Speak to you soon.

Regards, Robert

saw the report in the craven herald today, great work and congrats to all involved, hope the day goes well.

regards,

John.

Unfortunately we're away this weekend so I won't be able to attend, but I've added the information to the Keighley and District Local History Society forums to let others know.

Well the reports I've had are that the ceremony went extremely well, weather was kind and the sense of occasion poignant. The event was attended by at least 100 spectators and the local Home Guard outfit really set the scene. The young lad in the 'stooping soldier' pose was only 15 yrs old and stood absolutely still from well before proceedings began until well after the ceremony had ended. He did a superb job.

All 40 names were read out together with a poem. The Revd Canon Michael Cowgill gave a blessing and a wreath was layed

A couple of images from this historic event are below, wonderful stuff.

and the second image.....

post-47732-0-38391300-1300569689.jpg

post-47732-0-35888400-1300570000.jpg

Pleased to say I was able to attend this afternoon, along with Mona and Mr and Mrs Old Owl. The weather started off slightly gloomy after a perfect morning, but it soon blew over and turned into a beautiful afternoon. I did capture the event on my compact's video facility, but unfortunately it's now corrupted after an attempt to load it to YouTube. Fortunately there's still a version in the camera and I'm hoping the battery holds out long enough to try again (the charger's gone walkabout). In the meantime, I attach a photo of the lovely young man who managed to stay stock still throughout the entire proceedings. I didn't get to check his shoulder tags, I'm afraid, but he certainly looked the part.

[Edited to add: snap!]

post-49061-0-93701300-1300571256.jpg

Pleased to say I was able to attend this afternoon, along with Mona and Mr and Mrs Old Owl. The weather started off slightly gloomy after a perfect morning, but it soon blew over and turned into a beautiful afternoon. I did capture the event on my compact's video facility, but unfortunately it's now corrupted after an attempt to load it to YouTube. Fortunately there's still a version in the camera and I'm hoping the battery holds out long enough to try again (the charger's gone walkabout). In the meantime, I attach a photo of the lovely young man who managed to stay stock still throughout the entire proceedings. I didn't get to check his shoulder tags, I'm afraid, but he certainly looked the part.

[Edited to add: snap!]

Nice to see you both earlier. Excellent photos, hope that you manage to save the rest!!

The shoulder titles were 'Duke of Wellington's' and completely authentic, as was the rest of his uniform and equipment--not quite sure about his four service chevrons for a 15 year old lad!! I suspect that that could be a record--in the front line aged 11--only jesting!!

Good luck with your renewed offensive on "Fort Harry".:thumbsup:

Thankfully, the reload worked Robert - and I've also got it onto DVD for safety! Just looking into organising suitable software to cut it to fit the YouTube format, so watch this space.

Also delighted to hear (from Dr Laycock's introduction) that you've completed the project, Andrew. I've had a very quick look and it's extremely impressive: a true labour of love. I look forward to going through at leisure.

Here's a highlight from my recording: the reading of the names of The Fallen. You can tell it was typically blustery!

Well done Louise on recording this event. The ceremony was perfectly orchestrated and the Home Guard outfit set the scene magnificently. A fitting tribute in 2011 to the 40 lads who gave their lives during the Great war. It was a particularly poignant moment for me when I heard Harry Lund's name read out.