Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt John Macfarlan Charlton & Lt Hugh Vaughan Charlton

Maricourt

Forum Pals

Lt Hugh Vaughan CHARLTON - 7th Bn NF - Died: 24th June 1916

Capt John Macfarlan CHARLTON - 21st Bn [Tyneside Scottish] NF - Died 1st July 1916

Sons of John Charlton - Artist

Both brothers were keen ornithologists and artists.

Their father John Charlton painted a picture of his two sons after their deaths: The Brothers HVC & JMC, Sandisdyke - does any Forum member know of the location of this picture?

Any information on the two brothers appreciated.

Many thanks ... Maricourt

Many thanks JaJa for looking this up - the painting you refer to is the one with their grandmother, I believe and, sadly, this is lost but I believe the second one referred to still exists - hopefully!

Maricourt

Maricourt, I found this on the web re the Charltons:

The Hatton Gallery was founded in 1925 in honour of Professor Richard George Hatton, professor of what was then, the King Edward VII School of Art, Armstrong College, Durham University. Following its formal constitution, the Hatton maintained its relationship with the School of Art, which subsequently became the Department of Fine Art, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

The permanent collection had its origins in a small collection of 19th Century art works which were housed in the old School of Art; it included Portrait of Cozens Way, by Alphonse Legros. In 1919 the CHARLTON BEQUEST, made by Charles Frederick Charlton, expanded the collection considerably. This consisted of watercolours, drawings, prints and oil paintings made by the mid Victorian artist, JOHN CHARLTON, his son, HUGH CHARLTON and the turn of the century water colourist, William Henry Charlton. In the 1920s, these works were passed on to the Hatton, and were complimented by donations, from Professor Hatton, of Indian Miniatures and Burgkmair's Triumphal Procession.

Moriaty

Thank you very much Moriarty - I will explore the Hatton Gallery link and see if the painting still exists.

Regards ... Maricourt

Hi

Family Memorial stone from St Cuthberts Marton

5511211707_3a93ac91ca_b.jpg

Regards Ray

Maricourt, as I am sure you know, there is a chapter on the two Charlton brothers in "The New Elizabethans" of 1919 which includes various sketches by both brothers. In the book there is a painting of Hugh Vaughan Charlton by his father, I wonder if this is related to the missing Sandisdyke painting possibly a a sketch?

Moriaty

PS On the net is a picture of a Jack Russell named Twitcher, it was a birthday gift to John from his father inscribed "Jackie on his birthday from Dad, 1 July 1902"

Many thanks Ray for the wonderful photographs of the Charlton family memorial. Very much appreciated.

Thank you Moriarty - I have the chapter from Osborn's "The New Elizabethans" that also refers to letters written by both brothers so possibly these may have been collected in a memorial book at one point. If any one knows of such a collection of letters I would be grateful for any information about them.

Thank you for the name of the dog. The picture I referred to by their father has three dogs. Two belonged to John - Peter and Tiny but I did not know the name of the third that belonged to Hugh - so mystery solved - Twitcher.

My thanks to Old Owl for his help with the Charlton brothers.

Regards ... Anne

Hi

The Vaughan and Charlton Families have an interesting past

Thomas Vaughan the father of Kate Charlton nee Vaughan was the son of John Vaughan Mayor of Middlesbrough
Thomas upon the death of his father squandered the family fortune he had inherited and was declared bankrupt in 1887

John Vaughan was the Partner of Henry Bolkow of Bolkow and Vaughan Co Ltd
Bolkow and Vaughan were known as The Foundling Fathers of Middlesbrough

Here is a Link With a little information on the Charlton Family Charltons EDIT link now broken (website taken down)

and a link to a statue of John Vaughan with additional info John Vaughan

There is also another Family Commemoration Memorial at Newcastle Elswick if my Memory serves me right
I had researched the Headstone I posted earlier and the Charltons but my computer crashed some three years ago and I had to replace it , Unfortunately losing all my data
lesson learned I now Back it up

regards Ray

Thank you Ray for the fascinating links to the Charlton and Vaughan families - very much appreciated.

I've had the same problem with my own computer! My last one blew up in thunderstorm after lighting hit some aerial . I now back up everything, too!

Regards ... Maricourt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

quote from my earlier post "There is also another Family Commemoration Memorial at Newcastle Elswick if my Memory serves me right "

My Memory did not serve me right

the Family memorial is in Jesmond Old Cemetery Newcastle

here is a link to a old photo of it and the transcription of the memorial here

regards Ray

Hi Maricourt

Here is another commemorative Memorial to the Charlton Brothers

which can be found in Lanercost Church in Cumbria

5540934914_47d93307f4.jpg

Found today hiding in my computer

Regards Ray

Dear Ray

Many thanks for the Jesmond and Lanercost connections to the Charlton Brothers - much appreciated.

From your own research - do you know if any family members are available to get in touch with?

There is no sign of the painting I mentioned earlier or any image of it anywhere. A mystery!

With thanks ... Maricourt

Hi Maricort

I have no Knowledge of any decendents of the Charlton Family

The Story of the Charton Family appear's to be one of rags to riches followed by the slow decline of the fortunes of the various branches of the family

I can only presume that the Charlton family and there various branches , With the passage of time is now dispersed far and wide

when next in the Newcastle area I will make a slight detour and photograph the Charlton memorial in Jesmond Cemetery and post it on this thread

regards Ray

Maricourt, earlier in this topic there was mention of a portrait of the two brothers with their grandmother. Having had a quick look at the Ancestry site, it looks as if their paternal grandmother, Mary Anne Charlton died in June 1904 and their maternal grandmother, Catherine Jane Vaughan, died in the summer of 1903, so the younger son John Macfarlan Charlton would have been a schoolboy in a portrait while his elder brother Hugh Vaughan Charlton would have been a young man.

As you probably already know, on the 1901 census, Hugh was at school at Aldenham School in Herts.

Finally, perhaps the missing pictures went to the Canary Islands! Kate's sister Eleanor Louise Macfarlan Ward died in Teneriffe in January 1933, she was the wife of Osbert Ward. Probate was granted to Dudley Northall-Laurie consulting chemist.

Moriaty

Dear Ray

Many thanks for your reply and I look forward to hearing from you in the future. It is extremely good of you to take the time and trouble for me.

Much appreciated ... Maricourt

Dear Moriarty

Many thanks for the information on the painting of HVC and JMC that eludes me. It would be fascinating to locate the painting in Tenerife and solve the mystery. Possibly a GWF member that knows Tenerife may know of the family connection?

With thanks for all your help ... Maricourt

• 3 years later...

Forum Pals

Lt Hugh Vaughan CHARLTON - 7th Bn NF - Died: 24th June 1916

Capt John Macfarlan CHARLTON - 21st Bn [Tyneside Scottish] NF - Died 1st July 1916

Sons of John Charlton - Artist

Both brothers were keen ornithologists and artists.

Their father John Charlton painted a picture of his two sons after their deaths: The Brothers HVC & JMC, Sandisdyke - does any Forum member know of the location of this picture?

Any information on the two brothers appreciated.

Many thanks ... Maricourt

I have a signed picture of the two brothers with their grandmother ? Signed by John Charlton..also some other stuff..pass me your email and I will send...also an original painting by HV..

..marfordvaughan@gmail.com

• 2 months later...

I was very excited to find this page yesterday.

John Charlton was my great uncle and the boys Hugh and John my mother's cousins.

I am away from home at present but I have somewhere a photograph of their grandfather, Samuel Charlton's memorial stone, also in Jesmond Dean.

I also have a family book of photographs which shows either John or Hugh at an inspection of troups.

I would be very happy to communicate with whomever is researching the boys. As I am a new member here I am not sure how it all works

• 1 month later...

Just came across this newspaper cutting relevant to this thread

14550006317_9824cf0207_o.jpg

Source N.E.D.G 24th July 1916

regards Ray

• 2 months later...

John Charlton was my mother's great uncle. I have 2 oil sketches of John Mcfarlane Charlton, one as a little boy and one as a teenager. Plus several works by John Charlton including some original sketches later published in the Badminton Library series on Hunting. . I have done a rough family tree and would invite any further input. Have you seen The New Elizabethans by E B Osborn - can download it from the internet - quite a bit about HVC and JMC as naturalists.

I was interested to come across this today, and find that somebody else had also resurrected it!

I have been looking at various awards to the Tyneside Scottish, and John MacFarlane Charlton was MID, with the mention appearing in the London Gazette dated 4th January 1917. I am not sure what the MID was for, but I assume it may be for the 1st July. John and another member of the 21st Battalion were MID in the gazette, and both were killed on the 1st July 1916 so if they were not MID for 1st July, they must have been MID for something between January 1916 (when the TS arrived in France) and 1st July 1916.

It would be great to find out what the MID was for.

Johnnie

• 1 month later...