Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

XX Call

pjjobson

I've just come across reference to a Heavy Battery responding to a test XX call from an aeroplane. I've heard of LL, PP and ZZ calls, but XX is a new on on me, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Phil

Outside my detailed knowledge I'm afraid. Was the call morse or voice? What date? My understanding is that towards the end of 18 some aeroplanes carried voice radio and there was limited use of a procedure for a pilot/observer identifying a target being able to broadcast the target and then being able to direct the fire of any artillery unit in range and available. I hope I am not overstating this, but perhaps the idea will provoke someone who actually knows.

Old Tom

It would appear to be one of a series of codes used from aircraft (using morse I assume) to call for fire onto a target. During WW1 this call was used to denote “All available Batteries to open fire for attack of a very favourable target”. I haven't been able to locate a reference for XX, but assume it was in the same series, although it isn't listed in any of the Artillery Training manuals I have.

Phil

Cheers Chris, I should have thought of looking there myself.

Phil