Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King Liverpool Regiment service record

smac61

I would like to verify the service of Charles Jeremiah McCarthy in the 3/8 KLR

I have some verification of his service in the RFA and RE's later in the war but

he signed a post card dated 29 Oct 1915 when he first arrived:

Pvt. Chas J McCarthy, 4826

3/8 Irish KLR

He was a U.S. citizen from Clyde, Ohio. D.o.B. 10 July 1895

Not sure if he had dual Irish citizenship, but I doubt it.

Found one document with mis-spelled "McCarty" tied to his RE service...

Thank you,

Sean

There are, as you might expect, a number of hits for Charles McCarthy and Liverpool Regiment on the NA's MIC index, but only one hit for Charles J McCarthy:

Medal card of McCarthy, Charles J

Corps: Liverpool Regiment

Regiment No: 307139

Whether that is your man with a later number I could not say, perhaps some other member of the forum with access to the service papers might help.

Dave Swarbrick

From the description by the original poster, it looks more likely that he signed up with 3/8 KLR when he first arrived in the UK, and at some point transferred to RFA and RE - probably serving overseas only with with these units. So if his service record does not survive it might be difficult to find any independent confirmation of his KLR service. It makes sense though, arriving in the UK in Liverpool with an Irish name Liverpool Irish would be an obvious unit to try and join. It might be possiblefrom the incoming passneger records on Ancestry to show that he did go into Liverpool.

His Medal Index Card giving the Liverpool Regiment and the service number 307139 suggests he was still in the Liverpool Irish when he went to France, at some point after December, 1916. So, if he served in the RFA and RE then it was after the beginning of 1917.

Ken

What is the 265122 number below?

Would this be a unique number to my Grandfather?

I ask as it seems to hit for other individuals, in other regiments...

State of Ohio Adjutant Generals Office pension information states:

Charles McCarthy, serial no. 265122

Army, Royal Engineers Grade; Gunner

Enlisted August 1/191x (cant read the last digit) at Kingston on Thames England

Ordered to active duty same date, Discharged June 10/19 due to demobilization.

When I searched the National Archives, I get a hit for Charles McCarty:

Medal card of McCarty, Charles

Royal Engineers 293933 Sapper

Royal Field Artillery 265122 Sapper

So clearly a few things aren't lining up.

I fairly certain he was wounded at one point and have a letter from Grandmother that states he was "wounded in the Somme" FWIW

Thank you all so much, this has been a very exciting quest to this point.

Sean

post-62860-049063100 1295447719.jpg

Numbers at this time were unique only to a battalion or equivalent unit, so accross the whole army there could indeed be several men with the same number.

Tehre are a few odd things - Gunner wouldn't be a rank in the Royal Engineers, though it would be in the Royal Field Artillery, so it may be that the two sets of info have been conflated.

Of course none of this explains the postcard either, and unfortunately there's nothing on http://www.1914-1918.net/kings.htm to say where 3/8th KLR was stationed in 1915. The address given seems a bit odd too, unless thery were the regimental agents or something.

Kingston on Thames isn't far from London (it's now effectively an outer suburb).

I think it is highly likely that you are looking at two different people here. Firstly, there is the man who served in the Liverpool Irish and then there is the man who served in the Royal Engineers and the RFA.

3/8th (Irish) Battalion KLR was formed in May 1915 and in Blackpool from autumn. Early 1916 to Oswestry and on 8/4/16 became 8th Reserve Bn KLR. 1/8/16 became 7th Reserve Bn in West Lancs Reserve Brigade at Oswestry.

No overseas service.

D

I think it is highly likely that you are looking at two different people here. Firstly, there is the man who served in the Liverpool Irish and then there is the man who served in the Royal Engineers and the RFA.

Is there any information on these records that might help me verify who it is?

It seems many of these card "could be" my person, so its interesting, but not very useful.

Thanks,

Sean

Scammell & Nephew were the lorry makers based at Spitalfields - see:

http://www.scammellr...f-scammell.html

Were the RE tied in with them in 1915?

Dave Swarbrick

Does any one know why the postcard would have been marked

"% Messrs G. Scammell & Newphew"

I assume its "care of" but would it be normal for a new recruit to

sign care of a business? Seems odd...

Thanks

Sean