Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Three Brothers - Three MCs

NigelS

I recently came across this report in a local newspaper of 1918:

THREE BROTHERS AWARDED M. C.

The three soldier sons of the late Rev. H.G. Ince and Mrs. Ince of Foxhill, Woking have now all obtained the Military Cross – A splendid record. The latest recipient is Major Douglas Ince, Durham L. I. who was awarded this decoration shortly after a similar award was made to his brother, Captain Norman Sedgwick Ince, Manchester Regt. Captain Cecil Ince K.O.Y.L.I. now on the War Office staff gained the Military Cross some two years ago.

This may well have been discussed before, but I doubt very much that this 'splendid record' is unique, so what knowledge is there out there of other families where several members received the same gallantry award?

I haven't been able to track down census records to determine whether there were only three brothers, and although the award of Norman & Douglas' MCs do appear consecutively - now that surely must be unique? - in issue 30450 of the London Gazette (28 December 1917), the announcement of brother Cecil's earlier award has - at least so far - proven illusive.

NigelS

Cecil's MC was listed in the London Gazette #29438, 14th January 1916. Link is here...http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29438/supplements/579

The newspaper article's a little off with the Regiment though as he's listed in the Gazette as Captain Cecil William Gason Ince, West Riding Regiment.

The 1891 census shows just the three brothers. The 1901 shows Norman S. Ince at home with his father, governess and a couple of servants, Cecil's at Temple Grove School in Mortlake and Douglas is at his Grandmother's place in Bournemouth. By 1911 Cecil's a 2nd Lieutenant in the 2nd Battalion Duke Of Wellington's Regt at Candahar Military Barracks, Tidworth.

Regards

Steve

Nigel more than likely if you go through the" honor the officers book" being in alphabetical order you can see same surnames together obviously and some of them must be brothers but three same family .You would have to go through MIC cards as well to confirm ,and service records ( if available) and census to see for birth place etc even then it would be difficult to totally confirm brothers.I have groups of medals to a Father and 3 sons of which i know 2 brothers died on the same day 23rd March 1918 different regiments different places on the western front.I only know that because of the family paperwork with the 4 groups without it very hard to say

Cheers Tony

Thanks Steve - I must be losing my touch :o (more likely that my search was not as diligent as it should have been!)

NigelS

Edit: Tony, Thanks also.

How about the Turner brothers:-

Alexander Turner - VC

Victor Turner - VC (WW2)

Mark Turner - DSO & MC

Cecil Turner - Received no award and was known in the family as 'The Coward'. - Charming !

And I think the Bradford Brothers deserve a special mention. There were four brothers and between them they were awarded 2 x VC's, DSO, 2 x MC's, & 3 x MID's - All during WW1 !

James Barker Bradford - MC

Roland Bradford - VC, MC

George Nicholson Bradford - VC

Thomas Andrew Bradford - DSO

(I'm not sure who the MID's were awarded to)

Neil

3 Bagshaw brothers who went to Brewood Grammar School all won MCs and are related to Angelab an Old Sweat!( that does not sound good)

Tony

How about the Turner brothers:-

Alexander Turner - VC

Victor Turner - VC (WW2)

Mark Turner - DSO & MC

Cecil Turner - Received no award and was known in the family as 'The Coward'. - Charming !

And I think the Bradford Brothers deserve a special mention. There were four brothers and between them they were awarded 2 x VC's, DSO, 2 x MC's, & 3 x MID's - All during WW1 !

James Barker Bradford - MC

Roland Bradford - VC, MC

George Nicholson Bradford - VC

Thomas Andrew Bradford - DSO

(I'm not sure who the MID's were awarded to)

Neil

Great post Neil ...poor Cecil turner the black sheep of the family so to speak...

Chers Tony

• 4 weeks later...

3 Bagshaw brothers who went to Brewood Grammar School all won MCs and are related to Angelab an Old Sweat!( that does not sound good)

Tony

Hi, Angelab here... (Certainly not much "sweating" in this weather!)

My forebears did win 4 MCs and a Croix de Guerre between three of them - though that record can't match up to the VCs quoted above.

I have done a few pages on my grandfather and his brothers here

I have searched vainly in the press for some kind of acknowledgement of this family feat. I think they fell between several stools, being in the Manchesters, but having been born and educated in Staffordshire, and their mother had moved to Southport by the time the War started. So they were not exactly "local" to anywhere.

Family legend had it that the three of them were invested with their MCs on the same day by the king. However a trawl through The Times online last week gave the lie to that; Horace Bagshaw was invested during 1917; his two brothers not till 1920.

Angela

Cpl Fred Greaves VC - 9th bn Sherwood Foresters. 4 October 1917.

Lt Harry Greaves DSO, MC and two bars - 1st bn Sherwood Foresters

DSO - 6-7th October 1918.

MC s - August and September 1918.

Steve M