Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service men from Birmingham newspapers

kevan darby

Hello. I don`t know if this thread is still "alive", but if so, would anyone have any newspaper clips / pics of Coldstreamers and / or Ox-Bucks lads from Birmingham. My great granddad and great uncle were in these regiments and both lived in Birmingham. Their names were George Wood. C/Gds and Albert Plumb Ox/Bucks. Many thanks for looking.

Hi, I have recently started looking for info on my great grandfather 9356 Pte. Henry Bilboe served with 1st Rifle Brigade from 1902-1917 when he was injured. I think he came from the Birmingham area. Any info or picture would be amazing.

• 3 months later...

Hello Kevan.

If you are still active on this thread, I would like to update my request if I may. I have recently discovered another relative from Birmingham, named John Plumb, 14559 West Yorkshire Reg, brother of the above mentioned Albert. John was awarded the Military Medal in 1917, the London Gazette entry being 17th Dec 1917. Both brothers lived at Mona Road, Small Heath.

Absolutely any reference or photo would be very gratefully received, as for one, I have no idea why he was awarded the M.M.

Many thanks for looking.

• 4 months later...

Hello Kevan

Wonder if you might be able to help us. Do you have anything on Pte John Thomas William WRIGHT Coldstream Guards. He died of wounds while in German hands on 21st September 1914. However he lies in Terlincthun British Cemetery, Wimille.

Be very grateful if you can help us.

Regards

Guy

Dear Kevan,

I wonder if you have anything on;

Hands, L/Cpl John Harry, 28981

Birmingham. 21262 Ox & Bucks L.I. then MGC, KIA. 31.7.17 aged 24

I think I have some more Brummies somewhere, I'll check later.

many thanks

Julian

• 5 months later...

Hi could you please help me. We are trying to find out about my great grandad

Private James William Blackwell

1st/6th Royal Warwickshires

Born in 1896 and died in 1974

We know he survived the war and we've seen the regimental history but would love to find out more about him.

Thanks

Stephanie

Hi do you have anything by any chance for Private James Phipps (17002) of the 7th Battalion South Staffordshire Regt. Died 27th September 1916. Last address was Frank Street Aston. Thank you

I have the medals to Leonard Aston from Bilston, he became POW late october 1914 and was repatriated in 1918. Would you know if he was mentioned in the local papers?

ATB,

Lars

Hi Kevan,

Do you have anything on soldiers with the surname of Tranter please?

Thank you.

M&T

I have J tranter HLI lived Forge Green, Kingswinford

Hi, I am sure your kind offer means you are very busy but I wondered if you had any info on Enoch Holyoake 32617 from Olbury who was killed on the 28th March 1917 at Arras.

Hi

There is a published roll of honour, The Fallen of Oldbury, Langley & Warley available from Langley Local History Society, he is featured with a photo in it. I hope you will be able to get a copy and support their work.

Guy

www.wall-heath-and-kingswinford-war-memorials-research-group.org

Hi kevan,

I'm trying to find any pics of my great great uncle James Ernest Foxall, 7996, royal warwickshires, 10th bn. He was of 17 netherend, cradley. I believe his mother put a picture of him in the county express, oct 21st 1916, if you'd have a copy of this it would be amazing.

Many thanks

Mike Foxall