Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George John Pritchard - Uniform ID

Verrico2009

This is a family member. My brother only got a copy of the photo today and would be very grateful to hear any observations from Pals. We know it was taken in 1917. Unfortunately, the marriage certificate just says "soldier". We think he was with the British Army in India from the 1911 census. Apparently a note on the back of the original photo just says "Field Artillery". I'll post a close-up of the cap badge and shoulder ties.

Not sure the higher res is much use.

Oh - and he survived: eventually dying in the 50s.

post-49061-085314400 1285096856.jpg

post-49061-048906200 1285097237.jpg

post-49061-005705300 1285097289.jpg

this looks fine for RFA I would think - cap badge and lanyard look fine -not enough of shoulder badge to confirm RFA /RGA/RHA ...medal ribbons are interesting for 1917 - something prewar but not sure what.. one might expect to see a south africa medal but looks a bit strange = but colour shades can be deceptive

Many thanks, battiscombe: I'll widen the search to include all artillery options. Thanks for the confirmation of the medal ribbons being prewar: I thought that should be the case and indicates my brother's on the right track. I should have added, he was born c.1881.

Hi verrico

Great photo and good luck with the search.

Got to say this is rather spooky im just starting to do some research on my maternal grandfather and he was in the Royal field Artillary in india, boar and then in France as well.

Thanks for the help the other day.

Many thanks, gixsermalc. I think someone here said the artillery's one of the harder ones to research. Surprising how common a name can be when you think there shouldn't be that many of them! Good luck with yours too. You're welcome.

Many thanks, battiscombe: I'll widen the search to include all artillery options. Thanks for the confirmation of the medal ribbons being prewar: I thought that should be the case and indicates my brother's on the right track. I should have added, he was born c.1881.

Just seen this!! I was a little puzzled with your reference to the photo of GJP. I actually thought that you had sent the message to me by mistake--apologies for thinking such a thing.:o

Back to the photo. Yes, I would say RFA/RGA for sure and the medal ribbons are almost certainly QSA and LSGC, but can't be 100% sure.

Hope this helps. Have you checked the Card Index and Service Papers?

Regards, Robert

Thanks, Robert. I can't find anything useful in the service records as yet and there's a lot of George Pritchards in the MICs so very difficult to narrow down. I am assuming he'd be in with a 1914/15 Star and possibly a shorter number but I'm simply guessing at the moment. I might get more out of the earlier medals. I've already told my brother to think about the British Library collection, given the possible India link but I will have a word at Kew next time I'm down.

Thanks, Robert. I can't find anything useful in the service records as yet and there's a lot of George Pritchards in the MICs so very difficult to narrow down. I am assuming he'd be in with a 1914/15 Star and possibly a shorter number but I'm simply guessing at the moment. I might get more out of the earlier medals. I've already told my brother to think about the British Library collection, given the possible India link but I will have a word at Kew next time I'm down.

I have found his MIC on Ancestry. He served as a Gnr. with the Special Reserve R.G.A. and is entitled to a 1914/15 star trio and also a SWB he was discharged in 1917.

Sorry I can't do a link but he is very easy to find? His Service Nos SR/6607 and 281607.

Robert

Hi Louise

I reckon it's the India medal instituted in 1896 that he's wearing, plus a long service medal as Robert says.

Problem is, the LSGC ribbon with white edges was used from 1917 onwards, so one would assume he would be entitled to WW1 medals also. If he was entitled to a 1914/15 star then he automatically would have also been entitled to the British War medal + Victory medal.

Go Team Harry!

Andrew

post-47732-071877500 1285106502.jpg

Many thanks for that, Robert - may I ask how you can be certain it's him as the names are the wrong way round (though my brother did say something about the only time his name is given as George John is on his marriage certificate)?

If he was entitled to a 1914/15 star then he automatically would have also been entitled to the British War medal + Victory medal.

Many thanks for that, Andrew. I've looked at the MIC Robert has directed me to and I can see that he gets the trio.

Go Team Harry - have you seen my message over the weekend?

Go Team Harry - have you seen my message over the weekend?

Yes, I will respond today, grovelling apologies for the delay!

Actually, the first ribbon could also be the Ashanti Medal because the Ashanti ribbon also looks very similar to that in the photo, but less likely if you reckon he served in India.

Many thanks for that, Robert - may I ask how you can be certain it's him as the names are the wrong way round (though my brother did say something about the only time his name is given as George John is on his marriage certificate)?

Apologies, I hadn't noticed that small point--just assumed that the names were the same way round::(

I think that there is still agood chance that its him and I am almost certain about the QSA. I think that he may have been a tad young for the Relief of Chitral? Sorry Andrew!!

Regards, Robert

No need to grovel, Andrew - just wanted to check you're OK with it. I had the opportunity to send a holding message today so of course I took it. Will be turning in shortly anyway.

Thanks, Robert. I'll run it past my brother and see what he thinks. I know they weren't always exact. Now I understand the fashion for calling children something outlandish: they'll be easy to find in 100 years' time!

You may well be right Robert, it's always going to be difficult to decipher a medal ribbon from a black & white image.

My thinking on the matter was the QSA ribbon has red edges, then dark stripes and a yellow centre. The ribbon in the picture has dark edges, then lighter stripes and a darker centre.

To me this would indicate the India Medal if he was serving in India of course. The Defence of Chitral medal image I posted was just an example to show the ribbon. He could have been awarded the India Medal with clasp Wariristan 1901-2.

EDITED: Louise, are you able to show a close up shot of his medal ribbon bar, similar to what you have done with the cap badge? This may help to confirm what medals he was entitled to.

Edited by sutton-in-craven

I have found his MIC on Ancestry. He served as a Gnr. with the Special Reserve R.G.A. and is entitled to a 1914/15 star trio and also a SWB he was discharged in 1917.

On Ancestry in the Pension Records, there's also a Corporal John George Pritchard who served with the Royal Garrison Artillery. Army number 362041. He lived at 22 Hamilton Rd, New Brighton, Cheshire. However, this guy was born in 1892.

You did mention Louise that the only time he was referred to as George John was on his marriage certificate.

It's almost certainly a QSA. Some of the others are possibilities, but almost certainly a QSA imho. Colours can show up rather oddly on films of that era. The other medal is indeed a post-1916 ribbon for an LS&GC.

No-one's commented on the fact that he's a Special Reserve man (evidenced by his regimental number). Would have been a long-serving regular who enlisted in the Special Reserve.

Edit; I see that Andrew's found his service papers, that should tell you what medal it is.

Thanks, Andrew but it's not him: as you noted, too young. GJP was born at Mile End Old Town and the man in the papers didn't enlist until 1915 and was previously a bank clerk.

So no, headgardener, unfortunately it doesn't appear his service papers survived. Thanks for weighing in behind the QSA.

If Robert's correct and the Special Reservist is him, I note he was entitled to an SWB and date of discharge was 8 October 1917. I shall get the date of the marriage from my brother: if after that, presumably it can't be him. His wife's name was Florrie Louise Wiles, for info.

LSGC - Bombardier G Pritchard (31586) RFA was awarded LSGC medal 1/1/1917.. on LSGC medal roll - this would seem to be him? No other likelys as far as I can see .. a Daniel Pritchard RGA in 1913..

david

I rekon Battiscombe's cracked it.

The photo shows a long serving soldier, probably taken 1917-19. the only candidate in the MIC's are the 20 or so 'George's or John George asID'd by Robert. No evidence of overseas service stripes or wound badges, so may not have served abroad, but no GC stripes either which, considering he's got an LS&GC, just doesn't make sense unless he's wearing a spare jacket and hasn't got all his insignia up yet. Tracking down the date of his marriage will help (this is a wedding photograph, I'd reckon - perhaps a new-ish jacket for his wedding? wouldn't want to be wearing the smelly old louse-ridden one from France.....). But assuming that Battiscombe's looking at the LS&GC roll then he's got to be your man. The marriage cert should also confirm the service details.