Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Binoculars 29th Regiment help please WW1?

biffrocks

Hi

Can anyone help me please identify the period these binoculars are from I am guessing WW1, the Regiment and if possible any info on who E Bell was. The binoculars have a small plate on them which has E Bell 29th Regt ingraved on it.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks

Rob

Bino2.jpg

Bino3.jpg

Bino1-1.jpg

It looks like J H Steward were making binoculars as far back as the mid 19th century, so this probably refers to a Bell of the 29th foot? Presumably before 1881, when they became the Worcestershire Regt.

"J.H. Steward Ltd was established in London, England in 1856. J.H. Steward was the head optician of the company and had businesses at 406 and 66 Strand and 54 Cornhill in London. In the mid 1800s he became the optician to Her Majesty's Government and the National Rifle, and National Artillery Associations."

Steward were agents in London for Zeiss at some time.

It looks like J H Steward were making binoculars as far back as the mid 19th century, so this probably refers to a Bell of the 29th foot? Presumably before 1881, when they became the Worcestershire Regt.

"J.H. Steward Ltd was established in London, England in 1856. J.H. Steward was the head optician of the company and had businesses at 406 and 66 Strand and 54 Cornhill in London. In the mid 1800s he became the optician to Her Majesty's Government and the National Rifle, and National Artillery Associations."

Steward were agents in London for Zeiss at some time.

Hi Phil

Thanks so much for the info above, I never cease to be amazed by the knowledge people on this site have and am indeted you you for your help.

Very much appreciated.

Rob

Galilean glasses like these were still in use during WW1, but were being progressively replaced by prismatics.

The 66 Strand address probably dates them before 1875.

If these were used in WW1, it would have been as private purchases as they don't appear to have the acceptance marks which purchased and donated civilian instruments were given. I would expect these to have been marked with a WD Broad Arrow, accompanied by 'S.3' (indicating high-grade Galilean binoculars), possibly also with a '(P)' or '(D)' denoting purchased or donated. There would also usually be a register number.

Because of the shortage of optics of all sorts early in WW1, two funds - the Strachey and Lord Roberts funds - were put to purchasing telescopes and binoculars from civilian sources to offset this.

Regards,

MikB

• 7 years later...

Some more background from contemporary sources in this new topic from GUEST:

Excellent stuff.

Mark