Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shot at Dawn - Somme

Hans Molier

Dear members,

Are there any Shot at Dawn soldiers buried somewhere in the Somme, and than especially between Guillemont and Serre ?

Dear members,

Are there any Shot at Dawn soldiers buried somewhere in the Somme, and than especially between Guillemont and Serre ?

The Somme is a very big place. For example there is a Shot at Dawn burial in Le Crotoy on the coast. That is the Somme. I would have thought it unlikely there were SAD burials in the front line areas as most were taken to the back areas for trial and execution.

John

Isn't there a s. a. d. buried at sucrerie cemetery? name escapes me but wasn't he of the same surname as the author of a brass hat in no man's land? pretty close to the front line i gather.

Just remembered! Crozier was the name. reckon he died a little closer to the front than he'd wanted!

Any chance you guys could reduce the size of your interests section? a one line answer takes up a huge amount of space, thanks to all that blurb!! Now we know, can you edit your settings to a more reasonable amount?

Any chance you guys could reduce the size of your interests section? a one line answer takes up a huge amount of space, thanks to all that blurb!! Now we know, can you edit your settings to a more reasonable amount?

Maybe you should reverse the software change that recently stated to show the interests? Seemd pointless to me.

John

• Admin

Putkowski and Sykes book should give the locations of the burials.............

Michelle

James Crozier was an under-age soldier, whose Mother wrote to their namesake in command. The reply assured her that her son would be looked after. However, James was convicted at FGCM, and the death sentence confirmed by Haig, after agreement by Crozier.

Young James was shot at Mailly Maillet, and is buried in the Sucrerie cemetery.

Is there a SAD closer to the lines than that?

Bruce

Hans,

the following S.A.D burials/commerations are roughly between Serre and Guilmont

Carnoy Military Cemetery E W Harris and R Murray

Norfolk Cemetery J Jennings and G Lewis

Sucrerie Military Cemetery J Crozier

Thiepval Memorial H T Farr, C W F Skilton and P Cairnie

Kevin

CASSIDY, JAMESInitials:JNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Royal Inniskilling FusiliersUnit Text:1st Bn.Date of Death:23/07/1916Service No:12396Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:D. 5.Cemetery:ENGLEBELMER COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSIONThis is one of the "shot at dawn" men --close to front line.

Wesley Wright

Hans

Rifleman James Templeton 15/890 & Rifleman John McCracken 15/1324, both 15th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles, shot at dawn 19th March 1916, both buried in Mailley-Maillet Communal Cemetery Extension.

Regards, Tommy.

Depends on how you define the 'between' for example Dartmoor, Norfolk and Carnoy aren't between Guillemont and Serre and depending on how you draw the line neither are Sucrerie or Mailley-Maillet. I think the question needs to be more specific.

Mick

Is there something special on the grave to notice the fact that they were shot ? I would imagine that it isn't the case but you never know...

So far as I am aware, there is no marking on the headtsone to mark the fact that the man was SAD, with one exception, where his Father added the information as an inscription at the bottom.

Bruce

Dear members, thank you alle very much for the usefull information !

Dear members, I'm looking for more information about Shot at Dawn soldiers J. Jennings and G. Lewis of the 2nd Bn. South Lancashire Regiment. I know they are both buried at Norfolk Cemetery, and were executed for desertion on 26th July, 1916. But what really happened, and were they really executed for desertion ?

There are 4 deserters buried in Bertrancourt Military Cemetery

L/11710 Pte A.T Anstead 4th Bn R.Fus

27555 Pte J Taylor 15th Bn L.Fus

12384 Pte A Reid 16th Bn HLI

251482 Rfn W Murphy 1st/5th Bn R. Scots

Dear members, I'm looking for more information about Shot at Dawn soldiers J. Jennings and G. Lewis of the 2nd Bn. South Lancashire Regiment. I know they are both buried at Norfolk Cemetery, and were executed for desertion on 26th July, 1916. But what really happened, and were they really executed for desertion ?

These 2 men deserted in the UK on or around 25/10/1915 whilst travelling with a draft of men to join 2nd Bn S. Lancs. They were arrested by police in London on 18th May 1916 and sent to their Bn who were based on the Somme. The Court martial was held on 20/06/1916 and they were executed on 26/06/1916. I can send you the excerpts from Shot at dawn if you would like. There is no reason to beleive they weren't executed for desertion.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Again many thanks for all the information.