Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is an AW Company?

Tinhat47

I was researching a Royal Engineer whose service papers say he was in the 244th AW Coy. What could this be? Aberdeen Works? Artisan Works? Possibly an airline company? He qualified as a bootmaker, if that helps.

I believe that it means Artisan Works company - what they actually do is another mystery to me.

David

Hello Matt

Yes, it is Artisanb Works Company. As befitted the Sappers, these were mostly men with particular skills such as carpenters, plumbers and electiciass, above and beyond the basic skills of building labourers.

Do you know what your man's civilian job was? That might give a clue as to his actual Army duties.

Ron

PS having read your post again I see he was a bootmaker. This suggests either doing the same job in the Army, or possibly other work involving leather, e.g. making hoses for water pumping systems.

In April 1916, GOC in C BEF recommended the provision of labour for road making, hutting, timber cutting, quarrying and the loading and unloading of ships and railway wagons. The total number of men deemed required was 2,100 skilled and and 13,950 unskilled. Of these, 600 skilled men were required for road making and hutting and it was proposed to form these men into 4 Artisan Works Companies each with an establishment of 3 Officers and 147 ORs. The personnel were enlisted at home and sent in drafts to the BEF where they would be formed into companies. They were composed of men over military age but under the age of 50. These units were designated 51, 52, 58 and 60 (Artizan Works) Companies. Difficulties were found in finding the necessary number of men by direct enlistment however, and the numbers had to be made up from B1 category men in the UK. They were sent to the BEF in batches of 50.

In February 1918, GHQ , BEF, recommended the transfer of the personnel from 5 Area Employment Companies of the Labour Corps, to be designated as Artizan Works Companies RE. These units were approved by the War Office and designated as 241-244 Artizan Works Companies RE. Five further AW Companies were later formed in France and designated 1501-1506 (Artizan Works) Companies , inclusive.

TR

My other half's great uncle was in 664 Artisan Works compny RE in May / June 1940.

They were building an airfield near Saint-Nazaire, when the Phony War ended. The couldn't get to Dunkirk so were ordered to make for Saint-Nazaire instead.

The unit was embarked on the Lancastria when it was sunk of Saint-Nazaire by the Luftwaffe.

Most of them perished in Britain's worst ever maritime disaster.

He was found and identified and is buried with others from Lancastria in a small French village graveyard.