Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Btn Honourable Artillery Company - trying to track down informatio

andyl1066

One of our old boys (Pte AJ Winterbourne) was a member of the 2nd Battalion Honourable Artillery Company and was killed on 9th October 1917. He is listed on the memorial wall at Tyne Cot. When we take our pupils to the cemetery I'd like to tell them something about what happened to his unit (and where) on the day that he was killed. Might anyone be able to point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks,

Andy

Pte Allan John Winterbourne was admitted to the HAC on 24 November 1915 and went overseas on 1 October 1916. He was invalided to the UK on 18 March 1917.

On 23 July 1917 he went back overseas and was KIA at Reutel 9 October 1917 while serving with the 2nd Bn, HAC. Pages 322 to 325 of The Honourable Artillery Company in the Great War 1914-1919 by Major G. Goold Walker DSO has a rather detailed description of the attack on Reutel on 9 October 1917.

Dick Flory

Thank you very much for your help Dick, I'll order a copy of the book. I'm a novice at all this, so many thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Andy

Andy

Reutel is a hamlet about 8km west of Ieper and 1km west of Polygon Wood. I have attached a trench map showing the German Trenches in red as at 12/9/1917. (Edited to add map courtesy of TNA Trench Map Atlas DVD from Naval and Military Press)

Roger

post-42671-1275989692.jpg

Andy.

Have you seen these sites:

HAC Museum - http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0000...4-Archivist.htm

The HAC Site - http://www.hac.org.uk/html/about-the-hac/archives/

Site says museum is closed, no mention if permenant or temp, but both sites have an email addy

Grant

• 9 months later...

Fantastic, thanks for your help Roger and Grant - hugely appreciated.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I came across you post from last year, and if you are still interested: I'm studying the 2de Bn HAC and their battle at Reutel. There is still some extra information that I could provide if interested (War diary extract, a very vivid description of the battle by Pt Arthur Lambert ("Over the top: A PBI in the HAC", etc) If still interested just let me know.

Gerd

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Gerd,

Thank you ever so much for getting in touch. Yes please, I would love to receive any extra information that you might have about the attack on Reutel...we are trying to build up as much information as we can about what happened to AJ Winterbourne.

Many thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I came across you post from last year, and if you are still interested: I'm studying the 2de Bn HAC and their battle at Reutel. There is still some extra information that I could provide if interested (War diary extract, a very vivid description of the battle by Pt Arthur Lambert ("Over the top: A PBI in the HAC", etc) If still interested just let me know.

Gerd

This info comes from my database, more to follow

Member List 1919-p340

Last name Winterbourne

First name(s) Allan John

Adress 14, High-street, Hampton Wick

Draft 2-0

Coy B

rank Pte

App.

Medal Index

admitted 24/11/1915

overseas 1/10/1916

casualty KIA, Reutel, 9/10/1917

Comment Invalided 18-3-1917, Overseas 23-7-1917

Regt. no. 5551

Age ?

Grave/ Memorial Ref. Panel 7.

Cemetery/ Memorial Name TYNE COT MEMORIAL

Additional information CWGC

Gerd

Dear Gerd,

Thank you ever so much for getting in touch. Yes please, I would love to receive any extra information that you might have about the attack on Reutel...we are trying to build up as much information as we can about what happened to AJ Winterbourne.

Many thanks,

Andy

This info comes from my database, more info on battle itself to follow

Member List 1919-p178

Last name Jones

First name(s) Herbert Owen

Adress 70, Elms-road, Clapham, S.W.

Draft

Coy D

rank Pte

App.

Medal Index

admitted 12/05/1916

overseas 10/05/1917

casualty KIA, Reutel, 9/10/1917

Comment

Regt. no. 625

Age ?

Grave/ Memorial Ref. Panel 7.

Cemetery/ Memorial Name TYNE COT MEMORIAL

Additional information CWGC

Hi Andy

His service records are on Ancestry. I also have an Old Boy killed in that action, Herbert Owen Jones.

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks very much for that - we must stand next to Herbert Jones' name every time that we conduct our ceremony for our Old Boy and I'll be sure to pass on your regards when we are there next! Do you know if the History teachers at Hulme GS use the information on Herbert Owen Jones at all? It would be great to something by way of collaboration with them.

All the best,

Andy

Hi Andy

His service records are on Ancestry. I also have an Old Boy killed in that action, Herbert Owen Jones.

Regards

Keith

• 1 year later...

My Grandfather was also in the 2nd HAC as an acting corporal and was wounded on 9-Oct-1917 trying to capture a german machine gun post at Jolting Houses. I have his trench map from that very day of the British Lines and the location of Jolting Houses and I remeber him telling me about how the attack started at about 6:30 am and how he hid in a water filled shell hole until nightfall when he crawled back to British Lines. One reason why he did thiswas because neither side took wounded prisoners.There is now a farmhouse where Jolting Houses is and I have an aerial photoof the location His HAC army number was or 6860. You are welcome to a copy of his trenchmapfrom that day (9-Oct-1917 and his service record. My e-mail address is analyserking@yahoo.co.uk.

Dave King (grandson)