Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Panoramas around Epehy and Havrincourt

jainvince

Our approx 400 local soldiers fought and rest in most of the WW1 battlefields and it is a real honour to visit where they were. Many fought around Cambrai either in the Cambrai Battles of 1917 or in the last 100 days.

In April we managed to get around a number of these locations and the following panoramas show the rolling landscapes of that part of France. Only our second visit but we will be back.

The first picture shows a panorama from le Grande Sarte (SE of Villers-Guislain) looking towards Epehy

Bernard

post-23884-1274386673.jpg

The next panorama shows Epehy (to right) with Melassise Farm to the left. It mis taken from Fourteen Willows Road

Bernard

post-23884-1274387584.jpg

nice photographs Bernard, is it the camera or your software making the panoramas ?

Mick

Fantastic photographs of an area I have an interest in.

Are there more ???? Please !!!!!

Tony

Mick

Its the software plus a bit of experience when catching each part of the Panorama. I bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 because the earlier version wouldn't work on my new machine. However, the new version is much superior.

Its not just getting the overlap correct but also light and dark, shade and colour. Once you have them near enough the software does a good job of blending. On the odd Panorama its necessary to also do some manual cutting and pasting and further manual blending. the top picture was from some 8 normal sized pictures.

Bernard

Tony

You can see a few more pictures of the area in these two posts:

See 5, 6 & 9 here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=145393

and See 9 7 10 here

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=142364

Bernard

Bernard

Thank you - Most impressed.

I have found that the Epehy area does not receive the attention that it deserves.

Tony

Brilliant photos Bernard if you have got anymore keep posting as there are plenty of us who love looking at other peoples photos on here.

mandy

As the large panorama doesn't show the detail even when enlarged (Ctrl+) Iam including a few extracts to illustrate the area better.

The first shows Pigeon Ravine CWGC from le Grande Sart (Villers Hill on Trench Maps). We are looking across Targelle Ravine towards Targelle Valley. The cemetery is actually located in this valley as Pigeon Ravine is off to the right.

Bernard

post-23884-1274645618.jpg

Extract from the main Panorama (Post 1)

Looking further South-West over Tergelle Valley and over to the East of Epehy.

You can also just make out the Cross of Sacrifice of Targelle Ravine British Cemetery.

Bernard

post-23884-1274814645.jpg

looking further south west, Epehy comes into view. On 22nd March 1918 the allies were positioned this side of the village against the approaching German troops. One of our soldiers fell that day. The 8th Leicesters were in front of the village towards the left of the picture whilst the 7th Leicesters were on the right and towards the road to Villers-Guislain. In front of these two Battalions were Thrush and Linnet Valleys respectively.

Bernard

post-23884-1274819445.jpg

Before moving up to Havrincourt, here is the last extract from the Panorama in Post 1. It shows Villers Hill CWGC with (I believe) Vaucellete Farm in the background. Most of these cemeteries are little visited due to their location.

Bernard

post-23884-1274904165.jpg

Bernard

Great shots. Thanks for taking the time and effort to put them together and then post!

Roger

Roger

Thanks

Last for now (until next year) Trescault - the trench lines in which a local soldier fought and fell were on the opposite hillside.

Bernard

post-23884-1275597158.jpg

Thanks for the taster Bernard

Will be in the Havrincourt/Trescault/Flesquieres area next week - cant wait!

Richard

Thanks for the taster Bernard

Will be in the Havrincourt/Trescault/Flesquieres area next week - cant wait!

Richard

Richard

Near to the Tank Memorial in Flesquieres are signs mentioning the Tank Walk (or similar). We didn't have time to follow the route but it could be an interesting walk especially if their are covering leaflets.

Bernard

We'll look out for that

Thanks