Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Gun

Jock Bruce

Does anybody know what this was?

I've got a reference to it being demonstrated at the 10th Bde bombing school in early Feb '16, along with the use of the Mills Bomb as a rifle grenade.

Some sort of grenade projector ?

Jock Bruce

Jock,

The West Spring gun was a metal device for throwing bombs it had a bank of 24 springs, a cocking lever and a throwing arm. It was carried around like a strecher but had to be weighed down with sandbags for use.

It's production was officially halted in early 1916.

Roger.

Jock, I recall seeing a photo of a West Spring gun once before but cannot remember in which book. It is a spring loaded mechanical catapult weapon for throwing an explosive charge, probably a grenade or similar item.

There is a sketch of the weapon in the old Ballantine WWI series I believe, the one on trench warfare if I am not mistaken.

Ralph

There's an illustration and a description in the Osprey book World War I Trench Warfare (1) 1914–16.

It looks something like a mammoth clay pigeon trap and looks as if it was as dangerous to the firer as to the enemy.

• 2 years later...

There are a couple of threads about this device, and a suggestion that a pic has already appeared, but in case it hasn't, (I couldn't find it) here is one (I think):

post-6017-1161868329.jpg

Designed by a Captain West, and called the West Spring Gun, this was a hybrid of the Roman balista and the medieval French trebuchet. It had a sturdy wrought iron and steel "A" frame and could be transported through the trench system by two men in stretcher fashion. The required throwing tension was provided by multiple banks of steel springs which activated a throwing arm, as in the trebuchet, and gave a range of around 250 yards. It was generally considered to offer as much danger to the operator and those around him, as to the intended recipient of the hand grenade.The West Spring Gun was officially discontinued in July 1916 but continued in use on the Western Front well into 1916. (info courtesy of http://w3.westernfrontassociation.com/theg...ns/mortars.htm)

The caption pencilled on the back card says it shows Lt M J Robinson (and two sergeants) of the 18th West Yorkshire at Fovant, Wiltshire in 1915. Normally I'm a bit cautious of such pencilled captions, but the eBay vendor cited a new book by David Raw, Bradford Pals: History of the 16th and 18th (Service) Battalions the Prince of Wales' Own (West Yorkshire Regiment. I've briefly looked for M J Robinson in the usual sources, but can't find him; I suspect a misplaced initial.

George Pearce of the 2/18th London Regiment was killed using a West gun at Sutton Veny in 1916. He thought he'd forgotten to light the fuse on a dummy bomb and bent over it, only for it go off in his face.

Moonraker

Hi all

I have photos of the 2/6th Manchester Regt, at the Southan Army Bombing School working with the West Spring Gun. bedded in with sandbags before firing.

It's similar enough to the pic in "Weapons of the Trench War" that I'm happy it is one and the same. One wonders how many of its operators it killed relative to the enemy - it looks lethal!

Adrian

• 1 year later...

Hello, I am researching the West Spring Gun would it be possible to have a look at your pictures?

Thanks

Peter

Hi all

I have photos of the 2/6th Manchester Regt, at the Southan Army Bombing School working with the West Spring Gun. bedded in with sandbags before firing.