Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

enemys kindly act

tharkin56

thought i would post this from the Reverend Kenelm Swallow 2nd Bn South Wales Borderers

I had an experience, which allowed me to see that the Germans were not quite such devils as we were all taught to believe in those mad days, a conviction more than confirmed in that I saw of those people during the time I was with the Army of Occupation and several visits to Germany since the war. The vast majority of them are as decent and gentle as the average Englishman. So I found in the Ypres Salient at early dawn. We had come out of rest. I had got the carpenter to make a number of tough wooden crosses, which I was anxious to place by such bodies as I had been able to identify, each inscribed with the fallen soldier’s name. I had to have enough light to erect them, but not enough to be seen, for the track lay on the top of a long ridge with the Germans entrenched on each side. We timed our departure during the night so as to arrive at the desired spots just a little before dawn. But it was too light we were seen.

A rifle shot rang out and another, I actually felt the swish of the bullet as it passed just in front of my nose. There was no cover of any description. In despair I took out one of my wooden crosses and held it high above my head, hoping they would see I was engaged on an errand of mercy. Not another shot was fired. We went on and completed our job in broad daylight and in full view of the enemy only a few yards away. Whenever I hear of the saving power of the Cross-, I always think of that incident.

Arthur Kenelm Swallow founded the Coventry Prepatory School on the Kenilworth Rd in Coventry after the war. After his death , his medals, including his Military Cross, were found in the attic of the main school building. I have his service record. His brother was killed in the war if I remember rightly.

TR

Arthur Kenelm Swallow founded the Coventry Prepatory School on the Kenilworth Rd in Coventry after the war. After his death , his medals, including his Military Cross, were found in the attic of the main school building. I have his service record. His brother was killed in the war if I remember rightly.

TR

Terry I am pulling together a book on the Rev Swallow is it possible to get a copy of his service record. I am working with the school i also have 86 photos he took at the front see some of my other posts and hisfamily photos. His brother was killed at Loos Yorks and Lancs Hervey Swallow. Apprieciate your help on this one could you Pm me for email details

Thanks