Height:

Chest:

Weight:

Physical Development:

Timeline:

10 Sep 1914 Date of entry into the Theatre of War

25 May 1915 Death date

Medals:

Victory War Medal (Roll: J/1/102 B2 Page: 447)

British War Medal (Roll: J/1/102 B2 Page: 447)

1914 Star (Roll: J/¼ Page: 69)

CWWGC Details

Name:

NAGINGTON, FRANK

Initials:

F

Nationality:

United Kingdom

Private

Regiment/Service:

King's Shropshire Light Infantry

Unit Text:

1st Bn.

Date of Death:

25/05/1915

Service No:

Casualty Type:

Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference:

Panel 8.

Memorial:

PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

Can anyone fill in the blanks. Can anyone help me out with his movements. What he may have experienced. What battles was he involved in?

LW

Second Ypres,and Hooge/Bellewaarde zone,the date fits the largest gas attack of the war thus far from the Germans at the second place,and the 6th Division,of which 1 KSLI were part ( 16 Brigade),present there.

Sotonmate

I'm not an expert on the KSLI. But i think he enlisted around 1900. He's remembered on Wellington memorial.

Neil

Perhaps a little later than 1900, Neil??

Yes you are quite right Neil, he is on the memorial gate in Wellington on a brass plaque. I have a picture of it. Like Kevin said though, he couldn't have enlisted that early as he would have only been 12!

I have info from an expert (Annette username 6th Shropshires) that he enlisted somewhere around 1906 as a regular.

She also gave me the following:

He is recorded in the Times (? Nov. 1914 edition) as wounded, so may have been wounded at Le Quesne Farm, near Armentieres some time in mid October. The Battalion were still in the Armentieres sector when he was killed on the 25th May 1915, there is some conflicking information here on the number of men killed on this day, SD records five men killed on this day but the War Diary (I only have the transcript) only records one man killed and none on the days either side of this day. Now it could be that the transcript is incorrect or SD & C.W.G.C. is incorrect ?

Can anyone help me with this or have a copy of the afore mentioned 'Times'?

A photograph. You may like it.

Kevin you are an absolute diamond!

What a brilliant find! You have made my morning here.

Now know his address, where he worked, that he was wounded (which i have been told was recorded in the Times on a casualty list (? Nov 1914 edition)- as wounded....I do not have a copy, maybe you have access to these records and could have a look for me?) and that he was serving in India! I will have to check for Incoming passenger Lists on Ancestry to see if i can locate him on these...one of my friends has just come up trumps on one of his ancestors on a similar thing.

I have been told be Annette (6th Shropshire) that she thinks he may have been wounded at Le Quesne Farm, near Armentieres some time in mid October.

I quote from Annette - "The Battalion were still in the Armentieres sector when he was killed on the 25th May 1915, there is some conflicting information here on the number of men killed on this day, SD records five men killed on this day but the War Diary (I only have the transcript) only records one man killed and none on the days either side of this day. Now it could be that the transcript is incorrect or SD & C.W.G.C. is incorrect"

His eldest brother was George Henry Nagington born 1870 (who by the way i have just discovered was in the kings shropshire light infantry also! Have found his MIC - Kings Shropshire Light Infantry - Reg No. 10071 then Machine Gun Corps - Reg No.153838, He received the victory, brittish and 1914 Star - I will be putting a new post on for him soon!)

The nephew Henry Nagington (George Henry's son) was actually Henry George Nagington born in wellington in 1895 (mothers name Kate Nagington Nee Seabury) This makes the newspaper article dated around 1915...am i right? Could you tell me wich article this is from and the date? Would it possible to get a clearer image?

Thanks again

Kevin

Hi Kevin

His eldest brother was George Henry Nagington born 1870 (who by the way i have just discovered was in the kings shropshire light infantry also! Have found his MIC - Kings Shropshire Light Infantry - Reg No. 10071 then Machine Gun Corps - Reg No.153838, He received the victory, brittish and 1914 Star - I will be putting a new post on for him soon!)

I think 10071 Pte. Henry George Nagington was the aboves son and not George Henry born 1870 ? anyway 10071 Pte. Henry George Nagington landed in France on 10-09-14 with the 1st Batt., not sure when he trans to M.G.C. but I think it's mid 1918 ? the M.G.C. number range 152414 -152429 trans. from K.S.L.I. on 18-04-18.

Annette

Hi Kevin

I think 10071 Pte. Henry George Nagington was the aboves son and not George Henry born 1870 ? anyway 10071 Pte. Henry George Nagington landed in France on 10-09-14 with the 1st Batt., not sure when he trans to M.G.C. but I think it's mid 1918 ? the M.G.C. number range 152414 -152429 trans. from K.S.L.I. on 18-04-18.

Annette

Hi Annetee,

Frank Nagingtons b.1888 eldest brother was George Henry Nagington b.1870. George Henrys son was Henry George Nagington b.1895 (therfore Franks nephew).

Luke

Luke,

It was me Neil, who sent the photo. It's from the Shrewsbury and Wellington News, March 1915.

Neil

Luke,

It was me Neil, who sent the photo. It's from the Shrewsbury and Wellington News, March 1915.

Neil

Thanks Neil, as i said before, your a daimond!

Is there a clearer image available Neil?

I have been told he was recorded in the Times on a casualty list (? Nov 1914 edition)- as wounded....I do not have a copy, maybe you have access to these records as well?

Is there no mention of George Henry Nagington (Franks older brother) in the article as he too was in the KSLI then the Machine Gun Corps?

Luke

Hi Luke

The articial as confused me (I get confused very easy these days :lol: ), it records Frank as being younger brother to George of 17 Princes Street, and that Henry on the right was the eldest son of George ? and nephew to Frank ?

Annette

It 's the best image available i'm affraid. I'm indexing the whole paper and whilst i do have the KSLI casualty lists for 1914 i've not yet come across Frank.

There's a very good chance that i will and there's just as good a chance that i'll find a later report of his death. I'll keep you posted when i find them.

Neil

Sorry just found him. He's near the bottom of the cutting.

Nagginton, F. Private, 8123, Ketley Town, Ketley, Wellington. Wounded Buttock. Reservist, KSLI. Casualty List 05/12/1914.

post-31332-1269166064.jpg

Hi Luke

Sorry it not the articial but your post as follows

His eldest brother was George Henry Nagington born 1870 (who by the way i have just discovered was in the kings shropshire light infantry also! Have found his MIC - Kings Shropshire Light Infantry - Reg No. 10071 then Machine Gun Corps - Reg No.153838

10071 is Henry George Nagington b.1895 but your post looked to me like you were saying George Henry Nagington born 1870 was 10071.

Annette

Sorry just found him. He's near the bottom of the cutting.

Nagginton, F. Private, 8123, Ketley Town, Ketley, Wellington. Wounded Buttock. Reservist, KSLI. Casualty List 05/12/1914.

Kevin,

Thank you for the newspaper snipet on his wounded buttock, your help is invaluable! I will keep tracking this post in anticipation of an article on his death.

Luke

Hi Luke

Sorry it not the articial but your post as follows

10071 is Henry George Nagington b.1895 but your post looked to me like you were saying George Henry Nagington born 1870 was 10071.

Annette

Annette,

Sorry to confuse you, Franks eldest brother is mentioned in the article as George Nagington, your quite correct.

His full name is however George Henry Nagington which is what is used on his MIC which is how I know he was in the KSLI and then the MGC.

Georges son was named Henry which has confused the matter!

Hope that clears it up.

Just noticed....Frank and George (Franks brother) dates of entry are both 9 Sep 1914. I think he must have been also in the 1st Battalion of the KSLI.

Is it possible they (Frank, George and Henry) all fought together side by side in the KSLI?

Hi Luke

I do not think Franks bother George did serve in the war then again men in their mid to late 40's did serve.

10071 Pte. Nagington, Henry George, would have enlisted around Sept./Oct 1912, 90% of the lads enlisting were in there teens and somelike 10013 Pte. Williams were boy soldiers, so I am 99% 10071 Pte. Nagington, Henry George was Georges son born 1895 and not George born 1870 & brother to Frank.

Also as mention in my post 10071 Pte. Nagington, Henry George land in France with the 1st Batt. on 10-09-14 along side Frank.

Annette

Hi Luke

I do not think Franks bother George did serve in the war then again men in their mid to late 40's did serve.

10071 Pte. Nagington, Henry George, would have enlisted around Sept./Oct 1912, 90% of the lads enlisting were in there teens and somelike 10013 Pte. Williams were boy soldiers, so I am 99% 10071 Pte. Nagington, Henry George was Georges son born 1895 and not George born 1870 & brother to Frank.

Also as mention in my post 10071 Pte. Nagington, Henry George land in France with the 1st Batt. on 10-09-14 along side Frank.

Annette

You could be right there! Didn't think of it like that. George would have been 46. So the MIC i have for for a George Henry is for his son Henry George who had swapped his 1st and middle names around like so many people used to do in those days! Looks like i was the one who was confused! Ha ha!

I just double checked on Ancestry and there aren't any other records for another George or Henry so i think that confirms it! That would also be why the fathers military details weren't in the newspaper clip for the Nagingtons.

Thanks

Looks like i was the one who was confused! Ha ha!

No worries Luke it's easy done, I am a master at get confused B) .

Annette

LW

Second Ypres,and Hooge/Bellewaarde zone,the date fits the largest gas attack of the war thus far from the Germans at the second place,and the 6th Division,of which 1 KSLI were part ( 16 Brigade),present there.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Could you expand on this?

I missed you reply previously. I know he died at Armentieres and have a map of the trenches at the time (thanks to other forumites!) but i had no idea on these experiences?

Luke: I suggest you sit down and read this thread through a bit more slowly and carefully as you seem to be rushing at this like a bull in a china shop!

Post '5 regarding casualties on 25th May 1915: CWGC record 6 deaths, but Phillips is the only one buried, which suggests he Died of Wounds sustained earlier.

001 BIGGS T 5320 1ST BN 25/05/1915 KING'S SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY

002 GRIGGS JW 8792 1ST BN 25/05/1915 KING'S SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY

003 NAGINGTON F 8123 1ST BN 25/05/1915 KING'S SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY

004 PHILLIPS JCO 10331 1ST BN 25/05/1915 KING'S SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY

005 THOMAS WE 7585 1ST BN 25/05/1915 KING'S SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY

006 WILLIAMS G 6333 1ST BN 25/05/1915 KING'S SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY

Whilst the newspaper clipping with the photos of both Frank and Henry may be confusing at first glance, it clearly states:

"Private F Nagington (on the left), a Reservist in the 1st Battn KSLI, aged 26 years, younger brother of Mr Geo. Nagington of 17, Prince's Street, Wellington. Private Nagington served with the Regiment for eight years, having served 6 years in India, He was recalled to service at the outbreak of war and responded. He was wounded some time ago, but is now progressing favourably. Prior to the war he was employed at Messrs Groom's Timber Works at Wellington.

Private H Nagington (on the right) is 20 years of age and is the eldest son of Mr George Nagington, and a nephew of Private F Nagington. He served a year with the Wellington Territorial Co, and then enlisted in the 1st Battn KSLI, with whom he has been three years. At the outbreak of war he was sent to the front with his Regiment, where he is still serving.

Frank is the YOUNGER brother of Geo Nagington.

Henry is the ELDEST son of George Nagington and they are NEPHEWS.

Therefore Geo must be a brother of George and unlikely to have the same forename, suggesting Geo stands for Geoffrey.

Hope that fits with any family tree!