Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kehoe/Keogh, 10687 G.M.P in Royal Irish Regiment.

corisande

I was looking at my notes following the recent thread on the Irish Brigade, and realise that I had not really sorted out Private G.M.P Kehoe/Keogh, 10687 in Royal Irish Regiment.

He was one of Casements first recruits, and became the senior NCO in the Irish Brigade in Germany.

However he remains a shadowy figure in spite of his prominence in the Irish Brigade

The sum total of what I know about him is here

I cannot find anything on his past, for example where he was born

I cannot find out what happened to him on release from POW

I cannot find out what happened to him after Irish Independence - apart from the fact he was alive in Aug 1932, and attended the funeral of Dowling (another of Casements's NCOs)

Given the fact that he was Casement's senior NCO, one would have though that more would have been written about him. Can Anybody help with more information?

[edit]I have updated the link to his page [/edit]

• 3 weeks later...
I was looking at my notes following the recent thread on the Irish Brigade, and realise that I had not really sorted out Private G.M.P Kehoe/Keogh, 10687 in Royal Irish Regiment.

He was one of Casements first recruits, and became the senior NCO in the Irish Brigade in Germany.

However he remains a shadowy figure in spite of his prominence in the Irish Brigade

The sum total of what I know about him is here

I cannot find anything on his past, for example where he was born

I cannot find out what happened to him on release from POW

I cannot find out what happened to him after Irish Independence - apart from the fact he was alive in Aug 1932, and attended the funeral of Dowling (another of Casements's NCOs)

Given the fact that he was Casement's senior NCO, one would have though that more would have been written about him. Can Anybody help with more information?

hi,sgt major keogh was my great great uncle by marriage,private j o'callaghan was my great grandfather they married two german sisters,annie and katherina seuffert,private michael o'callaghan was jeremiah's brother.keogh and j o'callaghan joined the friekorps in 1918,and returned to ireland in 1919,jeremiah was killed in mysterious circumstances in 1922,the sgt major had 5 children,his son roger is about to publish the sgt major's memoirs, which has a chapter on roger casement and his brigade,i have jeremish's service record for his time in the casement brigade if you are interested,keogh joined the british army to enable him to get into casement brigade,jeremiah never joined the british army,unsure how he got there,but was transporting arms into ireland via german submarines before joining the casement brigade.i know michael joined the british army but dont know what his motives where.please feel free to get in touch.

hi,sgt major keogh was my great great uncle by marriage,private j o'callaghan was my great grandfather they married two german sisters,annie and katherina seuffert,private michael o'callaghan was jeremiah's brother.keogh and j o'callaghan joined the friekorps in 1918,and returned to ireland in 1919,jeremiah was killed in mysterious circumstances in 1922,the sgt major had 5 children,his son roger is about to publish the sgt major's memoirs, which has a chapter on roger casement and his brigade,i have jeremish's service record for his time in the casement brigade if you are interested,keogh joined the british army to enable him to get into casement brigade,jeremiah never joined the british army,unsure how he got there,but was transporting arms into ireland via german submarines before joining the casement brigade.i know michael joined the british army but dont know what his motives where.please feel free to get in touch.

if you have any information on jeremiah and michael it would be most appreciated,jeremiah had 1 child,my grandfather andreas,he was 2 when jeremiah died and was brought up in germany with his mother,sgt major and his wife and children eventually settled in ireland,so i know little of what happened to michael after the war,whereas i know all what the sgt major did.kind regards louise.

if you have any information on jeremiah and michael it would be most appreciated,jeremiah had 1 child,my grandfather andreas,he was 2 when jeremiah died and was brought up in germany with his mother,sgt major and his wife and children eventually settled in ireland,so i know little of what happened to michael after the war,whereas i know all what the sgt major did.kind regards louise.

jeremiah o'callaghan is the o'callaghan with no intitial and occupation stated as waiter,he was never in the irish fusiliers,he never joined the british army,he was an irish volunteer.

Hello Louise,

Welcome to the forum. This really is a most interesting series of posts, and will take me a time to do further research, that may help you find out more about your family

I have reorganised my web pages on Casement's Irish Brigade, so let me give you the pages I have done for individual soldiers that you are interested in

Introduction to Casement and the Irish Brigade

List of Recruits to the Irish Brigade

Michael Keogh

Michael O'Callaghan

Jeremiah O'Callaghan

I would very much like to see Jeremiah's records, I will send you my email by PM

Do you know where in Ireland Jeremiah died in mysterious circumstances - there was a lot of that going on in Ireland in early 1920s. If you could post what you know of his death, then we may get someone able to add some details

Do you know when Roger is going to publish his book?

Do you live in Germany or Ireland now?

With all the information you have given me, I can do some more digging, and see what I can add to those pages I have on the three men.

I tried to send you a PM, but the system only lets you get PMs when you have made a certain number of posts. I will try again in a few days

Re death of Jeremiah O'Callaghan in 1922. Do you know his age at death, where in Ireland

There are two deaths recorded in Ireland for Jeremiah O'Callaghan in 1922

Name: Jeremiah O'Callaghan

Registration district: Cork

Record type: DEATHS

Registration date - quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1922

Estimated birth year: 1881

Volume: 5

Page: 125

and

Registration district: Mallow

Registration date - quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1922

Estimated birth year: 1892

Page: 246

The second of these is probably the same as this 1911 census entry for Residents of house number 8 in Bridewell Lane (Mallow, Cork) all Roman Catholic and born Co Cork

O' Callaghan Jeremiah, age 60, Head of Family, occupation Mason, Widower

O' Callaghan, Jeremiah, age 19, Son, Apprentice, Single

O' Callaghan, Michael, age 16, Son, Apprentice, Single

O' Callaghan, Elizabeth, age 13, Daughter, Single

O' Callaghan, Bridget, age 12, Daughter, Single

O' Callaghan, Edward, age 34, Son, Labourer, Single

Louise

I have discovered a "Louise" on GenesReunited with the Mallow family from the census in her tree. I assume that this is you ?

There is another tree on ancestry that appears to give the family of Michael, in as much as their Michael is tied to that Mallow address. If so then he died in England in 1952.

Save me a bit of time if you can confirm that your Jeremiah is the Mallow man, and let me know if you have been in contact with those descendants of that Michael on ancestry.

Hello Louise,

Welcome to the forum. This really is a most interesting series of posts, and will take me a time to do further research, that may help you find out more about your family

I have reorganised my web pages on Casement's Irish Brigade, so let me give you the pages I have done for individual soldiers that you are interested in

Introduction to Casement and the Irish Brigade

List of Recruits to the Irish Brigade

Michael Keogh

Michael O'Callaghan

Jeremiah O'Callaghan

I would very much like to see Jeremiah's records, I will send you my email by PM

Do you know where in Ireland Jeremiah died in mysterious circumstances - there was a lot of that going on in Ireland in early 1920s. If you could post what you know of his death, then we may get someone able to add some details

Do you know when Roger is going to publish his book?

Do you live in Germany or Ireland now?

With all the information you have given me, I can do some more digging, and see what I can add to those pages I have on the three men.

hey again,jeremiah died in mallow,ireland,the newspaper report states he was a man of the towm who was accidently shot in the head by a solider of the free state army who was cleaning his rifle,however,i have documents from the irish ministry of defence that states his wife katherina was paid his wages up to the day he died,as he was a private in the free state army,and also £50 compensation,for the 'accident'which caused his death,i can send you the documents i have from the ministry of defence,they report he was out after curfew,and was arrested and taken to the mallow barracks,which is where he was killed,roger keogh,states his father the sgt major told him,jeremiah had been singing rebel songs while drunk,he had decided to leave the free state army and return to the other side,which makes sense as to why it was never mentioned he was, at time of death, a solider of the free state army.

I live on the isle of wight,my grandfather left germany to live in ireland in 1938,he married my grandmother in dublin,3 children,my mum moved to england in the 60's.

Roger will be publishing his father's book very soon,i will contact him and find out for you,he lives in dublin,during the 60's the sgt major released his memoirs weekly in a local dublin newspaper,'the catholic bulletin',i have photocopies of all of the memoirs,which i can also send to you.

basically the draft copy ,if roger hasnt changed the name then the title is roger casement,germany and the world war,it gives infomation on every member of the irish brigade,i will scan a few things later and email them to you.i am new to this site,only joined because of your post,sso do not know how to send emails.

Louise

I have discovered a "Louise" on GenesReunited with the Mallow family from the census in her tree. I assume that this is you ?

There is another tree on ancestry that appears to give the family of Michael, in as much as their Michael is tied to that Mallow address. If so then he died in England in 1952.

Save me a bit of time if you can confirm that your Jeremiah is the Mallow man, and let me know if you have been in contact with those descendants of that Michael on ancestry.

yes,that is me,i only contacted that family last week,he replyed and said he was in spain until the end of the month,but it is the same michael,he was related to his wife indirectly,i have to wait until the end of the month to see his tree,so thankyou i can now put a date of death on my tree,had no idea he died in england.

Thanks for that reply

I reached the conclusion that that must be you, so I sent you a message there with my email address on it, to get round the problem here!

Copies of those "Catholic Bulletin" articles would be really useful for me, thank you

I will see what I can find out about the Mallow shooting, as with those details I should be able to find out more for you.

Re death of Jeremiah O'Callaghan in 1922. Do you know his age at death, where in Ireland

There are two deaths recorded in Ireland for Jeremiah O'Callaghan in 1922

Registration district: Cork

Registration date - quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1922

Estimated birth year: 1881

Page: 125

and

Registration district: Mallow

Registration date - quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1922

Estimated birth year: 1892

Page: 246

The second of these is probably the same as this 1911 census entry for Residents of house number 8 in Bridewell Lane (Mallow, Cork) all Roman Catholic and born Co Cork

O' Callaghan Jeremiah, age 60, Head of Family, occupation Mason, Widower

O' Callaghan, Jeremiah, age 19, Son, Apprentice, Single

O' Callaghan, Michael, age 16, Son, Apprentice, Single

O' Callaghan, Elizabeth, age 13, Daughter, Single

O' Callaghan, Bridget, age 12, Daughter, Single

O' Callaghan, Edward, age 34, Son, Labourer, Single

yes,the second jeremiah was my great grandfather and they are the family in the census,thankyou very much,i have a copy of that census,but could not find it when i was trying to work out dates of birth for jeremiah's father on my tree,i can do that now.

only contacted that family last week,he replied and said he was in Spain until the end of the month

Small world, I live in Spain, you don't know where, I may be able to meet up with him

Thanks for that reply

I reached the conclusion that that must be you, so I sent you a message there with my email address on it, to get round the problem here!

Copies of those "Catholic Bulletin" articles would be really useful for me, thank you

I will see what I can find out about the Mallow shooting, as with those details I should be able to find out more for you.

ok,thankyou,will do some scanning and send you some emails.kind regards.

ok,thankyou,will do some scanning and send you some emails.kind regards.

hi,i cannot find your email on genes reunited,have scanned a few things,just need an address to send them to.

OK

I got your reply off Genes giving your email direct address, and have sent you a direct reply by email :)

As long as you get that, you can now email me directly

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I was re Hi, I was doing some research on the internet when I came upon your post on Sgt. Major Michael Keogh who is my grandfather and was fascinated to read your thread and that of Louise who may be a distant relative of mine whom I regret to say I never had contact with before, but hope to in the near future. I’ve just returned from a trip to Bavaria Germany visiting places and trying to trace relatives of my grandmother Annemarie [seuffert] Keogh and sister of Katherina. I did not know my uncle Roger was thinking of getting his fathers memoirs published. Let me try explaining, you see my grandfather writings in The Catholic Bulletin which is a booklet and the British newspaper The Sunday Chronicle of 1952 were extracts form his book which was later stolen with other important documents from him in mysteries circumstance while he was ill in James Connolly Memorial Hospital in Blanchardstown, Co. Dublin in 1964. He died two weeks later RIP. The fact of the matter is somebody or bodies in Ireland in 1964 did not want Michael Keogh’s full story told. Whether it was political or not, I believe it was, people will have to make there own assumption. I’m glad to say I discovered his stolen book in 2005. What pages & documents are still missing I fear we may never find out. They were later deposited in UCD Archives in 1984 unknown to his family. http://www.ucd.ie/archives/html/collection...ogh-michael.htm

My father was to say the least delighted and immediately made contact with UCD and with my father’s permission UCD made a copy for historical purposes and returned the original to my father. The book itself makes fascinating reading even for the layman and anybody with a military background should be intrigued. There is a lot of information on military & political personal, Irish, British & Germany and if you need any information on same I will gladly forward to you. The main part of the book is about Roger Casement 1914- 1916 but also what was going on in Germany leading up to the Second World War. I have the Sunday Chronicle papers, I can forward copies if you wish, I take it you have copies of The Catholic Bulletin.

My father Kevin Keogh engaged the services of a respected Author, historian & journalist to review & edit his father’s work and I am happy to say it is been published now as I type. Copies will be deposited in The National Library’s, Colleges, Universities and The British Library, Wetherby, West Yorkshire, UK. It will also be available online at the publishers and online book retailers. I would be grateful if you could forward my contact details to Louise. There I was last week walking the streets of Munich, Nuremberg & Wiesentheid trying to trace relatives and on returning home I find one, thanks to The Great War Forum. Kind regards Kevin.

Hi Kevin

Nice to hear from you and welcome to the form. I have told Louise that you are posting here, but for her to contact you by PM you will need to make a small number of posts, I cannot remember how many, but about 4 or 5. So if we have a short chat, Louise will be able to send you a message with her email, unless she can contact you on another board like GenesReunited or Ancestry

I have seen most of the Catholic Bulletin articles, but not the Sunday Chronicle ones, they are probably too long to post here, so again can you email them to me once we can establish a link

I assume that Michael Keogh had a number of children, among them Joe, Roger and your father Kevin

When is the work going to be available

Kevin

A quicker way of doing this is if you go to my page on the Irish Brigade scroll down to the bottom, and you will see a direct email link to me

I'll send your reply on to Louise

Hi, I was re Hi, I was doing some research on the internet when I came upon your post on Sgt. Major Michael Keogh who is my grandfather and was fascinated to read your thread and that of Louise who may be a distant relative of mine whom I regret to say I never had contact with before, but hope to in the near future. I've just returned from a trip to Bavaria Germany visiting places and trying to trace relatives of my grandmother Annemarie [seuffert] Keogh and sister of Katherina. I did not know my uncle Roger was thinking of getting his fathers memoirs published. Let me try explaining, you see my grandfather writings in The Catholic Bulletin which is a booklet and the British newspaper The Sunday Chronicle of 1952 were extracts form his book which was later stolen with other important documents from him in mysteries circumstance while he was ill in James Connolly Memorial Hospital in Blanchardstown, Co. Dublin in 1964. He died two weeks later RIP. The fact of the matter is somebody or bodies in Ireland in 1964 did not want Michael Keogh's full story told. Whether it was political or not, I believe it was, people will have to make there own assumption. I'm glad to say I discovered his stolen book in 2005. What pages & documents are still missing I fear we may never find out. They were later deposited in UCD Archives in 1984 unknown to his family. http://www.ucd.ie/archives/html/collection...ogh-michael.htm

My father was to say the least delighted and immediately made contact with UCD and with my father's permission UCD made a copy for historical purposes and returned the original to my father. The book itself makes fascinating reading even for the layman and anybody with a military background should be intrigued. There is a lot of information on military & political personal, Irish, British & Germany and if you need any information on same I will gladly forward to you. The main part of the book is about Roger Casement 1914- 1916 but also what was going on in Germany leading up to the Second World War. I have the Sunday Chronicle papers, I can forward copies if you wish, I take it you have copies of The Catholic Bulletin.

My father Kevin Keogh engaged the services of a respected Author, historian & journalist to review & edit his father's work and I am happy to say it is been published now as I type. Copies will be deposited in The National Library's, Colleges, Universities and The British Library, Wetherby, West Yorkshire, UK. It will also be available online at the publishers and online book retailers. I would be grateful if you could forward my contact details to Louise. There I was last week walking the streets of Munich, Nuremberg & Wiesentheid trying to trace relatives and on returning home I find one, thanks to The Great War Forum. Kind regards Kevin.

hi kevin,

my name is louise,my great grandfather was jeremiah o'callaghan,he married katherina sueffert in may 1919,double wedding along side your grandmother and grandfather michael and annie.katherina and jeremiah had one child,my grandfather andeas o'callaghan.my grandad and your father were first cousins.i found roger a few years ago and have met his family a few times,last visit was when we had travelled over for my grandad's funeral ,and we visited nancy in hospital,shortly before she sadly passed away,RIP.you say you were in nurenberg last week,i have an uncle in nurenberg,andreas o'callaghan's son werner waibl,not that he knows any of the german family history,we only knew of each other's existence at my grandad's funeral at the end of 2007,and werner had only had contact with my grandad 7 years pevious.David has given you a link to be able to email him directly,if you would like to get in touch,feel free to get my email address via david.

kind regards

louise.

Hi again Corisande thanks for your reply. Your correct Michael had 3 sons and 3 daughters Rosaleen, Margaret and Annamarie.

The proof of book will be ready next week and if everything is ok it will be available soon after. Being new to forum I hope typing in wright

Hi Kevin

Nice to hear from you and welcome to the form. I have told Louise that you are posting here, but for her to contact you by PM you will need to make a small number of posts, I cannot remember how many, but about 4 or 5. So if we have a short chat, Louise will be able to send you a message with her email, unless she can contact you on another board like GenesReunited or Ancestry

I have seen most of the Catholic Bulletin articles, but not the Sunday Chronicle ones, they are probably too long to post here, so again can you email them to me once we can establish a link

I assume that Michael Keogh had a number of children, among them Joe, Roger and your father Kevin

When is the work going to be available

Kevin

Thanks for your reply, can you see if you can contact me as Louise is keen to exchange information with you

Can you also say where the book will be available, for example can we get it from amazon.com ?

• 2 years later...