Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

216 siege battery RGA

mrlewis

Not sure whether this is the right part of the forum for this but here goes anyway.

The photograph below shows 216 siege battery in june/july 1918.(click on link to see the image.)

It is part of of the photo collection left me by my great uncle A.H.Lewis MM together with his diary recording daily events from his disembarkation in late 1916 until the end of the war in 1918.

All this has been published on my website http://mikerlewis.com

The poet Capt.V.T.Pemberton MC can be seen in the foreground (in shorts). He was killed a few months after this picture was taken.

If anyone is interested in

a.Siege Battery RGA

b.War Poetry

c.A first hand account of the German Advance in March (Kaisersclacht)

then please visit the website (which is still under construction) or contact me through the messaging service on this forum.

mike lewis

216_001.jpg

post-53532-1266418838.jpg

Mike: Great photo and very nice website. You mention on the website that the diary has a listing of the gun crews for 216th Siege Battery, RGA. Do you plan to list the names of those gun crews?

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick: Yes I will post the lists of gun crews, I could do it separately via an e-mail to you but at the moment I dont seem to be able to access the messaging system. I will keep you posted

mike

• 3 years later...

My great-grandfather 82311 Acting Serjeant Thomas G Bullivant served with 216th Siege Battery earning the Military Medal at some point in the weeks before 18 June 1917 when his award was gazetted. The family story is that during an attack by the Germans, his commanding officer became trapped under a gun carriage, and that my great grandfather amputated his leg (being a butcher before the War) in order that they could evacuate the CO. I have no further details despite trying to find more from the operational diaries at Kew. I tried to upload his medal card but couldn't work out how to do it. Any further information would be appreciated ideally where the Siege Battery might have served (I suspect it was North or North East of Arras) and any corroboration of the story.

• 1 year later...

Hi Mike, I 'believe' my great uncle was posted to 216th SB in May 1917 (records look water damaged & difficult to make out!) 158780 Gunner Herbert Baker, taken prisoner what looks to be 20 Nov 1917 - do you have anything on him?

cheers

Roy

• 2 years later...