Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Simplified (utility) SD jacket lining

Peter Doyle

Has anyone got some pictures of the simplified (otherwise known as utility) SD jacket, and in particular the lining? I would like to know the set up and particularly the colour shade of a real one.

Thanks in anticipation!

Peter

Has anyone got some pictures of the simplified (otherwise known as utility) SD jacket, and in particular the lining? I would like to know the set up and particularly the colour shade of a real one.

Thanks in anticipation!

Peter

As with 'normal' SD the shade varies considerably from gingery-brown to green. Also: the quality of the cloth does so too - from really quite rough, loose, open weaves (almost ersatz) again to that found on the 'normal' ones - as do the lining colours.

The first two pictures show the interior of a US made (a huge number of these were made in America under contract) example. The lining is brown and the cloth of really rather poor quality. It happily retains its 1915 dated label.

P1010039.jpg

P1010036.jpg

I've another immaculate one; and will post pictures anon.

Best wishes,

GT.

Peter

I'll post some pics if nobody else does but have none on hand at present. These jackets were made in the UK, Canada and the US. The UK ones have a white lining with a square at each corner of the breast pockets. They are often made of quite thin cloth - many colours and grades of material seem to have been pressed into service. The US ones in particular are renowned for their shoddy quality. US and Canadian examples are typically lined in caramel colour and green respectively, with a continuous strip backing the breast pockets.

BTW this type was not known as "utility" at the time - that's a later invention by collectors!

Regards,

W.

Add: I see GT got there first!

Herewith another.

Again US-made, but this time with a white lining. Mint and unissued. The lining does not reach across the width of the top inside of the pocket, nor is it applied to both upper corners of the pocket. The quality is outstanding; and every bit as good as one might have expected from a 'proper one'.

This is an interesting example, as it came complete with the ultra-rare simplified trousers; both in an old packaging box of a Boston tailoring company. The box is also named, but not addressed, as if ordered. One therefore assumes it is either a manufacturing sample (hence the very high quality methinks) or perhaps even a private purchase item for an enthusiastic ex-pat kitting himself out, at his own patriotic expense, before taking the boat home.

Simplifiedjacket2-Copy.jpg

Simplifiedjacket-Copy.jpg

TM: fabulous example yours that.

Best wishes,

GT.

GT

Does this last example have the dressing pocket inside the front skirt? The picture is cut off but it doesn't look like there would be room in what is missing.

Chris

GT

Does this last example have the dressing pocket inside the front skirt? The picture is cut off but it doesn't look like there would be room in what is missing.

Chris

It does. It's the perspective, and the way the left edge - as viewed - has rolled back.

GT.

Wow, that opened a box, didn't it! Thanks for all who replied; I;ll be mulling over these helpful details this evening.

(BTW - i know that the term 'utility' is a collector's one - put it there to help would-be posters...)

Cheers

Peter

In fact I might do a 'Kirk Douglas in the Vikings' and go to Valhalla in a longboat, wearing it, with Tony Curtis firing flaming arrows at me from the shore.....

With Fisher, Tredwen, Batten, Archer etc and et al rowing hard after you with a battery of fire extinguishers...

GT.

Most others are the usual WW2 economy version of the 1922 SD jacket having spurious dates applied to the later lining. Sometimes the rifle patches have been removed from the latter (they still had those even with the 'plain' pockets) but they are pretty easily spotted.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tocemma

I don't have any genuine GW examples but I do have a couple of 1922 pattern jackets made in Australia in the early 1940s. These seem to be an odd mix of styles (single collar dart, no rifle patches, plain pockets and printed label) I got two of them new from a bale years ago. Is this the 1922 "economy version" you are referring to here? Mine did not have rifle patches. One had brass buttons the other greenish "plastic"/vegetable compound? buttons. - both had cloth labels as per most WWII equipment.

Chris

Hurrah! Now proud owner of a Simplified Jacket. (just had to share that one). I'll post some pics myself when I've done them.

Cheers

Peter

Lucky boy!!!

Look forward to the piccies.

Regards

TT

• 4 weeks later...

By the way, John Bodsworth (in his new book, 'British Uniforms and Equipment of the Great War', published this February), refers to this type of jacket as 'emergency or modified drab', to be referred to as 'Service Dress' from 1915. Is this the experience of members?

Cheers

Peter

Jacket looks good from the outside!

The simplified jacket was introduced in late 1914. This is the first I've heard of this book. It will be interesting to see what it is like.

W.

Thanks, yes; John's book is interesting, and covers a lot of ground. It has an officer/Scottish personal bias, and certainly has opened up some questions.

I'll try and photo the interior of my jacket - it's very much like the ones listed earlier on in this thread!

Cheers

Peter

By the way, John Bodsworth (in his new book, 'British Uniforms and Equipment of the Great War', published this February), refers to this type of jacket as 'emergency or modified drab', to be referred to as 'Service Dress' from 1915. Is this the experience of members?

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

Very nice jacket--looking forward to interior shots.

Looking forward to this new book. The nomernclature is not what I've experienced to date so far, all articles of uniform items that were simplified were pattern sealed as "simplified" going back to Nov 1914 (trousers, Great coat, KD Frock etc.)

However, the one article that is missing (RACD Ledger missing) is the Jacket--I'd like to see his source info he may have turned up something new.

Joe Sweeney

I have also seen 'Issued part worn and repaired' on a paper label

I have an SD bearing one of these if anyone would be interested in seeing it.

Glad I've stopped collecting WW1 kit!!

So are we - we've more of a chance now!

Best wishes,

GT.

I have an SD bearing one of these if anyone would be interested in seeing it.

So are we - we've more of a chance now!

Best wishes,

GT.

GT,

Yes I would like to see that label. I believe these were classified as class "W" in issue scales.

Joe Sweeney

Peter,

The two upper pocket patches are usually a UK indicator. Seems UK examples adhered to earlier pattern construction to an extent.

US-North American usually have the big strip of material like the 8407 pattern.

Your material also looks a bit thin which tends to be UK and American thick.

This is not a hard and fast rule only a tendency based on the few originals I own or have examined.

Take care,

Joe Sweeney

Thanks Joe, most interesting. The material is thin and I can't imagine that it would have survived in extended frontline use.

Best wishes

Peter

Good to see the photos at last, Peter. It's practically identical to mine, which is also slightly thinner material than the usual SD. Mine has a W^D over a letter D, but there is no number above it, which is odd but all seems ok. It has the remains of a Royal Army Clothing Factory label, though the date bit hasn't survived.

W.