Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Andrews photos - and other items of interest

SFayers

Happy New Year to all GWF members,

On Christmas Eve I posted scans of my late stepmum's dad's discharge documents on GRUMPY's 'ARMY FORMS database' thread (see here). Together with these documents I'm also privaleged to be custodian of a number of contemporary photos of his, medals and various other family items relating to the war. I'd like to share these with you over the following posts; some of the photos have been posted by me before, but on this thread they'll all be together.

As a bit of background for you, my stepmum's dad was Robert George Andrews. Robert was born 28th December 1899 in Long Melford, Suffolk to Charles Andrews and Sarah (nee Head), and was the third youngest of eight children; Alice, Ellen, Elsie, Ethel, Launcelot, Eric, and Gladys. Sarah sadly died when (or shortly after) Gladys was born in 1906; so Robert and his younger brother Eric went to Stratford St Mary to live with their uncle and aunt John Abbott and Ellen (nee Head). Robert then lived in Stratford St Mary for pretty much his whole life, where after the war he worked as a builder; he passed away in 1971.

Robert's older brother Launcelot had stayed in Long Melford. He was posted to France sometime around April 1917 and served as Private 45052 with 11th Battalion Suffolk Regiment; sadly Launcelot was to die of wounds received near Poelcappelle on 17th October 1917.

Robert was conscripted in early January 1918 into the Rifle Brigade (as number TR/13/81281), and on arrival in France in the July as Rifleman 49149 was posted to D Company, 3rd Battalion, Rifle Brigade. He was wounded on the 16th October and returned to 3rd Battalion during the December. In March 1919 Robert was transferred to the KRRC (as Rifleman 64767), and posted to 25th Battalion. He then was posted to 16th Battalion KRRC in August. Robert returned to the UK during the November, and was finally discharged at the end of March 1920.

I hope the following posts will be of interest to forum members, and as ever I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Kind regards

Steve

First off, here's an item that's actually a bit more interesting than first impressions would indicate!

post-2839-1262617700.jpg

post-2839-1262617724.jpg

This rather crude wallet is clearly handmade. What is not easy to see here is that one side of the fabric is water-proofed / rubberised - I would suggest most probably cannibalised from a trench cape (or possibly trench waders - but feels a bit too thin).

I will gradually reveal it's contents........

The wallet contains numerous photos of Robert's - pertaining to both his family, friends, and his time in the army.

post-2839-1262618854.jpg

This chap above is Charles Andrews, Robert's father.

post-2839-1262618933.jpg

post-2839-1262618973.jpg

I'm not sure who the ladies in the group photo are, but from the writing on the back one of the number is one of Robert's older sisters, Ellen (Nellie). (Sadly I do not know which one she is!)

Here's a contemporary picture postcard of another of Robert's sisters, Ethel. I don't know for certain, but I would think the little boy Reggie was her charge.

post-2839-1262619288.jpg

post-2839-1262619299.jpg

Some forum members may remember this image (and thanks again to everybody who helped with identification!). This chap is Robert's older brother Launcelot, who died of wounds at 61st Casualty Clearing Station on 17th October 1917 whilst serving as a Private with the 11th Suffolk Regiment.

post-2839-1262619554.jpg

post-2839-1262619567.jpg

Launcelot's service papers sadly no longer exist, but from his service number 45052 it would seem likely he was mobilized around the beginning of January 1917 (possibly having attested in December 1915), and may have gone out to France around April 1917 and joining 11th Battalion Suffolk Regiment as part of a replacement draft.

Curiously his cap badge in the photo is of the Bedfordshire Regiment, and it seems quite likely that before posting to France he was with one of the Graduated or Young Soldier training battalions originally affliated to the Bedfordshire Regiment.

In the second week of October 1917, companies of the 11th Battalion Suffolk Regiment were employed in repairing / reconstructing roads W and to the NNW of Poelcappelle after the advance on the 9th. Launcelot could have been one of the many of the battalion wounded during this period by shelling and machinegun fire. Another possibility is that Launcelot was wounded on 17th October at which time the 11th Battalion was moving up to Stray Farm near Pilckem. Launcelot now rests in Dozinghem Military Cemetery.

Here are Launcelot's BWM / VM pair and Death Plaque. The plaque was kept in the cardboard envelope, as it was issued, together with the George V letter of condolence.

post-2839-1262636677.jpg

post-2839-1262636686.jpg

Launcelot brings me back to another of the photographs from Robert's wallet.

Robert's sister Ethel, who we saw earlier, sent him a picture postcard of Long Melford war memorial. Launcelot's name can just be made out.

post-2839-1262637294.jpg

post-2839-1262637318.jpg

post-2839-1262637371.jpg

This is the last of the family-related photos in the wallet, and I would think taken sometime in the early 1920s. Robert is standing on the right; the chap on the left and the one standing next to Robert were to be his future brothers-in-law, Sidney and Harry James. I've no idea who the other chap is.

post-2839-1262637971.jpg

This photo is of Robert taken when he was with the King's Royal Rifle Corps in France sometime during 1919. Note he's wearing his BWM and VM ribbons. As I understand it the Army Order granting the Victory Medal was issued at the begining of September 1919 (and the BWM in the July); if this was indeed the case it would date Robert's photo to September 1919 or later, in which case the photo was taken when he was with 16th Battalion KRRC.

post-2839-1262638236.jpg

This is Robert's medal ribbon bar. I couldn't say if it is the same one he's wearing in the above photo, but he certainly wore this on his uniform during the Second World War when he was with the Home Guard in Stratford St Mary.

post-2839-1262638414.jpg

The following images are of other items of Robert's that were kept with his photos, discharge documents, and his brother's medals and Death Plaque.

Firstly his BWM and VM.

post-2839-1262638852.jpg

Secondly a piece of 'trench art' - an identity bracelet Robert had made when he was serving with the KRRC (appologies for the quality of the scan!).

post-2839-1262638944.jpg

Perhaps most poignantly, what was his 'good luck' charm - a watch chain with attached fob, cowrie shell, and a much-rubbed coin.

post-2839-1262639110.jpg

Back to the photos. Here's a photo taken of one of Robert's KRRC chums, clearly taken by the same photographer (and presumably at the same time) as the previous one of Robert. This chap isn't wearing medal ribbons, but does bear a wound stripe. I'm sad to say I do not have an identity for this man.

post-2839-1262639422.jpg

Another one of Robert's young pals in the KRRC, this time a Lance Corporal, though again unfortunately I have no name for him.

post-2839-1262639836.jpg

post-2839-1262639845.jpg

This is the final photograph in the collection, and for me perhaps the most curious in that I find it difficult to place. It is a group photo (well worn!) of some men of the 11th Hussars.

post-2839-1262640254.jpg

There are no family connections that I'm aware of with Prince Albert's Own. The only possible leads I have is that there were two men from Stratford St Mary who, at least according to the Roll of Honour in the parish church, served with the 11th Hussars (a Charles Clark and a George Lawrence); but I've never managed to trace MICs for these men in the 11th, so if they served in this unit I guess they must have transferred before entering a theatre of war.

I hope you've enjoyed this little collection; and your thoughts, as always, are greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

Steve

• 3 months later...

Hello there Steve, My name is Jason Parker, my mum's madien name is Andrews. I cannot tell you how very excited is was seeing your post about Launcelot and Robert Andrews, they are my cousins! My great grandfather Maurice was the son of William Amos Andrews who is the youngest brother of Charles Andrews, the father of Launcelot and Robert.

For the past few years I have been tracing our famly history and have come across Launcelot's name. I had no idea that he had a younger brother. Do you have many other photographs or details of the family? My grandpa was named 'Victor' after one of Launcelots' names, my great grandfather was a teen when Launcelot died, and he spoke of a cousin who he had admired that died in the Great War.

William Amos and another brother of Charles' both married Dakin sisters, did you know that Charles Dakin, a 1st cousin of Launcelot and Robert also died in WW1? Charles Dakin was with the Royal Fusillers and was a photographer, he took photographs of many family members infact he may have taken the photograph of Charles Andrews that you have in Roberts wallet. I am unsure if Charles Dakin was an actual war photographer, but it seems he may have been.

It would be great to hear from you. :rolleyes:

Jason

Hi Jason,

Great to hear from you!! I did a fair bit of the Andrews family tree some years back for my stepmum, with a lot of the info coming from Ray Long's online Cosford Database (sadly I don't think this is available any longer). If you email me I'll send you my notes - my address is s.fayers'at'abdn.ac.uk

My stepmum Phyllis (Robert Andrews daughter) sadly passed away in 2007, but I believe his youngest brother, Eric's family still live in the Colchester area.

All the best

Steve

if you haven't found them already jason, there are two other family topics here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...c=94846&hl=

and here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=135088&hl=

Steve.

Many thanks for sharing these fine photographs with us Steve, and I must say they are in great condition.

Martin