Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fred Milburn - RSF - Ventriloquist!

Derek Robertson

Here's one that is slightly unusual.

From the "Hawick News" May 1917:

"Fred Milburn, an accomplished ventriloquist, who has on several occassions appeared at Scott's Hawick Pavilion is reported to have been killed in action in France. He was in the Royal Scots Fusiliers and is survived by his widow and son".

The red herring here may be that "Fred Milburn" was a stage name as I can't find a decent match on either the CWWGC or SDGW under thia name.

Has anyone any ideas how I find this man?

Looks as though it is his stage name. I found this reference when I did a google search:

The Scotsman Archive - Item from 28th July 1915

Fred Milburn, Ventriloquist, USUAL POPULAR PRICES. THE PALACE, PRINCES STREET (OPPOSITE WAVERLEY STEPS) TO-DAY. CONTINUOUS PERFORMANCE.

edu.archive.scotsman.com/article.cfm?id=TSC/1915/07/28/Ar00102

You have to subscribe to The Scotsman Archive to access the link.

Regards

CGM

The nearest I have at present is a ventriloquist called Sgt Muller, who was definately married; but this may be another red herring.

I'll keep a lookout for him.

There is a LOCATION of Milburn, near Kelso, not too far from Hawick. Milburn, Cliftonhill, Kelso, Roxburghshire TD5 7QE

It might be that as a local performer, he used his address as a stage name, especially if it was a common surname.

However, I can't progress much further using Geoff's (wonderful) Search Engine as simply too little other information and too many RSF deaths between 1st March and 1st June 1917. None of the first names with "F" appear to have any links to the Hawick area, so Fred could be ALFred or WILFred or any other name...

Can't offer anything else so see what other sleuths can trace!

Thanks for the additional info folks - much appreciated.

Derek,

The report of his death may have been mistaken. It did happen occasionally.

I added another vent to my database today, but I am having as much difficulty pinning him down as you are with Fred Milburn. He is Pte H (also known as Carl) Haigh, no 138 of 2/7th Royal Scots, who was admitted to the 1st Eastern General Hospital in Cambridge with rheumatism in mid-1916.

I don't suppose it is the same man, but there cannot be that many Scottish vents.