Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kinmel Camp

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

A number of the photographs of Royal Welsh Fusiliers I have were taken at Kinmel Camp. Where abouts is this camp and what was its role in WW1?

Ian

It was at Bodelwyddan near Rhyl Ian, and used as a training and transit camp. Also the scene of the Kinmel Park riots, involving Canadian troops on March 3-4th 1919.

Terry Reeves

It was just a little way down the coast from Rhyl, Ian. It was the largest Army Camp in Wales, being built in 1915 and it consisted of about 20 sub-camps and had its own bakery, Post Office, churches, etc.

It's probably best known as the location of the rioting by Canadian troops, just after the war, protesting at what they saw as delay in getting them send back home.

Tom

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Terry/Tom,

Many thanks. It would appear they also had a camp photgrapher called Williams.

Ian :)

Mr. Williams could have been a permanent fixture for a time Ian, because the camp also featured a row of shops run by civilians and called "Tintown." The Canadians wrecked this area during their rioting!

Tom

I actually visited Bodelwyddan Castle and the famous marble church on the 80th anniversary of the 1919 riots at nearby Kinmel Camp. The staff at the castle (which now houses an offshoot of the National Portrait gallery) had never heard of the riot or the camp which I found somewhat surprising. Don't know whether there is anything left of the camp itself but Bodelwyddan Churchyard has lots of CWGC graves of flu (and a couple of riot) victims. There is a very good pamphlet on the affair by Julian Puttkowski which may still be available locally.

Ian, midway between St. George and Bodelwyddan, bisected by the modern A55.

post-3-1083607699.gif

Aerial view - it was basically the area now wooded over.

post-3-1083607802.jpg

Ian, midway between St. George and Bodelwyddan, bisected by the modern A55.

Andrew-Are the church and the castle on the aerial photo? I tried to use my photo interpretation skills without positive success.

a very good pamphlet on the affair by Julian Puttkowski which may still be available locally.

The Kinmel Park Camp Riots by Julian Putowski

Published by Flintshire Historical Society 1989

If all else fails it can be read at the military museum in Chester.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

Mark,

No they are not quite on the map, but..

Approx outline of camp and location of church and castle below.

post-3-1083700786.jpg

Oh, forgot...

The Kinmel Park Camp Riots 1919 by Julian Putkowski ISBN 0951277618 Flintshire Historical Society 1989

Available to purchase at £6.50 here.

I'll amend my post, Andrew. When I looked for it a little while ago I was told (wrongly) that it was unavailable because it was out of print. Thank you for clarifying.

Gwyn

Gwyn - I too thought it was 'long gone'. I came across the Bodelwyddan shop by chance. A couple of years ago the little 'shop' in the Marble Church had a truckload of them as well. :)

Just my $0.02, I've tried contacting that eMail address a few times to try to order the booklet, but have never had any response. Please let me know if someone hears differently.

Thanks

marc