Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Surreys

Norrette

Hi all,

I think these three are from the East Surrey's. The picture is on a postcard taken at Frimley Station. I wonder if anyone can tell me any further information from the uniforms. I am particulary interested in the man in the middle as my great-grandfather had another picture of him on horseback and because he kept these photographs I am guessing that the man may have fallen.

4025120643_02543457ca_o.jpg.

Best regards

Confirm East Surrey Regt. Major in the centre flanked by a Captain on the left and a Lieutenant on the right. I must say the Posters are really something. No medal ribbons so possibly Territorial force Officers. Frimley was in the Queens West Surrey recruiting area, so my guess was a weekend shooting on the ranges at Ash or Bisley.

Tony P

npm

I concur with Tony's opinion on both the ranks and the posters (!)

As a further query I note that there are a differing number of rings on the sleeve also,and have no idea of why this would be. Time served ? Anyone ?

And they all look like male photo models !

Sotonmate

Couple of questions.

What does the sign say above the door? O.C. Fridley Station? XXXXXXX Orderly Room?

What are those drawings on the door? Looks like an East Surrey badge?

Are the cap badges defined enough on the postcard to make out the writing at all or the centre? The reason I ask is that 23rd London also had a similar badge to the East Surreys with only the legend different and a circle around the centre, and the man on the right bears some passing resemblance to a 23rd London officer I'm familiar with.

I'm still erring on the side of East Surrey though.

Any chance you could post the other photo?

Best regards,

Matthew

Matthew

My interpretation of the door sign :

OHMS

(this row of letters may start with No. ? and the Army area detail)

OC Frimley Station

Orderley Room

Strictly ???

Grumpy,

Thank you for the explanation. I didn't realise the rank was duplicated,so the Capt with the 2 rings was also a Captain with the 3 pips !!

Sotonmate

Lots of lovely answers thanks chaps

What does the sign say above the door? O.C. Fridley Station? XXXXXXX Orderly Room? What are those drawings on the door? Looks like an East Surrey badge?

Good thinking, of course it's the Surreys (and I spent ages checking the badges too (doh!))

4026779812_683045a7d4_o.jpg

Definitely the 5th Battn - does that mean they were in it tho' ? and is that the 6th or 8th Coy? And of course the badge on the windowpane confirms it. I wonder how many Majors were in the 5th? It was taken before my great grandfather volunteered - according to the comments on the back!

Are the cap badges defined enough on the postcard to make out the writing at all or the centre? ...... and the man on the right bears some passing resemblance to a 23rd London officer I'm familiar with.

4026780006_908f79cfdf_o.jpg

It's the best I could do to show the badge detail. Interested to see any pics you may have of your 23rd man...

It's only today that I have connected the two photographs. The other one of the chap in the middle can be seen on my much earlier posting..

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...c=75921&hl=

Thanks Matthew

Best wishes,

Norrette

Strictly Private.....

Drawings - East Surrey badge (left) - unsure of regiment for the other badge.

Below appear drawings of soldiers (looking like Boer War era) - presumably from the respective regiments?

Edit Norrette has clarified!

Confirm East Surrey Regt. Major in the centre flanked by a Captain on the left and a Lieutenant on the right. I must say the Posters are really something. No medal ribbons so possibly Territorial force Officers. Frimley was in the Queens West Surrey recruiting area, so my guess was a weekend shooting on the ranges at Ash or Bisley.

Tony P

Thanks for all this info Tony P. My Great Grandfather Harry Adams's father had a farm at Stafford Lake in Bisley. I took a look a couple of years ago and it's very close to the shooting ranges. He went to the Sth Lancs and to france - don't know yet about these three tho'

Regards

Norrette

Thanks for posting Norette.

Looks like 8 Company to me.

You'll need to find the relevant year's Army List to see how many Majors in 5th Bn, but there were probably only a couple or so.

As to the right hand officer I thought there was a resemblance but it can't be the man I was thinking of as he was never in the East Surreys. I'll have to rummage for his photo.

best regards,

Matthew