Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

International Corner

Paul Reed

While sorting out some photos today came across this photo I took of International Corner in the summer of 1986. Sadly this building was demolished a few years ago, so this Great War sign-age is lost forever.

3955123545_b078ef8ccc_b.jpg

always sad to see these places going, I remember seeing the wall with 'water carts bottle filler' being demolished at couin. It now has of course the animals memorial on the re built wall (saw it being pulled down in 2001)

matt

yes i'm sure, i don'y know how far this demolishing went - i do have photos, whcih once i've dug out i'll scan and put on here.

I can confirm it was taken down and then rebuilt. The wall, and I think the outbuilding in the corner behind it, were in a very bad state which required rebuilding rather than repair.

TR

• 3 weeks later...

thankgoodness someone else remembers this! Every time I have mentioned this no one believes me, will scan the pic and out on here when i can dig it out. Nice to know something about ypres that Paul didn't know!

indeed it is, no idea where ypres came from (well bar me thinking of international corner)

• 1 year later...

An old thread revisited....found it whilst searching for something else.

recent photo of wall at Couin....looks like original brickwork was re-pointed with sign painted over.

Peter

post-2649-0-43139300-1305365582.jpg

• 1 month later...

An old thread revisited....found it whilst searching for something else.

recent photo of wall at Couin....looks like original brickwork was re-pointed with sign painted over.

Peter

Same spot. . . . about 1990. I'm glad some attempt was made to save it. At that time it was a piece of wall, standing serenely alone and not attached to any building. Strong winds could have brought it down

post-24996-0-06314000-1309099276.jpg

.... and here it is in 1980!

Anyone with older shots I wonder?!?

post-8971-0-42273300-1309104101.jpg