Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Green Room Club

chrisharley9

Frank Harrison Saker (son of Edward "Ted" Sloman Saker and Emily Mary Kate O'Brien (O'Beirne)) was born ABT 1880 in Liverpool, England, and died October 30, 1914 in First Battle of Ypres at Zonnebeke, Belgium. He married Ethel Frances on 1908 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England.

Notes for Frank Harrison Saker:

Lived at 6 Fairholme Rd., Fulham at time of 1901 census with mother & sister (May).

From PRO WO 339/19054

"Saker was the C. Company subaltern. Our guns were shelling the enemy's trenches heavily. The Captain of C. Company, therefore, tried to make an advance. Saker was told to take half the company and to advance up a line with my trench, and to dig himself in there......Saker went beyond the dotted lines towards the concealed German lines.... I (Captain White) saw they were our own men surrendering. I then saw two Germans go into the house and carry out Saker into their trenches. I can't say where he was hit..."

He was probably killed near Zonnebeke perhaps on October 31st, 1914.

More About Frank Harrison Saker:

Fact 1: February 20, 1904, Appointed 2nd Lt. in 4th Bn Connaught Rangers.

Fact 2: June 11, 1906, Appointed Lt..

Fact 3: 1914, Served with 2nd Battalion in France & Flanders.

Fact 4: September 9, 1914, Appointed Captain.

Fact 5: October 30, 1914, Killed in First Battle of Ypres.

Will: 1914, Left 141-2-6 to Ethel Frances Saker.

More About Frank Harrison Saker and Ethel Frances

Marriage: 1908, Newcastle-upon-Tynez, England.

All pinched from; http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users...1/UHP-0418.html

I'll look him up when I get home.

John

Chris,

Nothing further to add for now. Mark and IPT have covered anything I could tell you and much more.

John

This is all absolutely wonderful - thanks everyone

Chris

The Stage Yearbook 1918;

Death was busy in the ranks of the theatre during the year. .....and Frank

Cody (Lieut.)...

Sorry - to use theatre parlance (luvvies :o ) - for a slight aside, but does anyone have any knowledge as to whether this Frank Cody might have been:

Name: CODY, SAMUEL FRANKLYN LESLIE

Initials: S F L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text: 41st Sqdn.

Secondary Regiment: General List

Date of Death: 23/01/1917

Additional information: Son of Lela M. Cody, of Vale Croft, Ash Vale, Surrey and the late aircraft pioneer, Samuel F. Cody; husband of Maude H. Cody, of 'Notre Dame', Church Road, Aldershot, Surrey.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XVI. C. 1.

Cemetery: PERTH CEMETERY (CHINA WALL)

As far as I can tell, this is the only CWGC record from which 'Frank' can be derived, and various sources on Cody senior do refer to his son by that name ; I've never seen any reference to 'Frank' having been involved with the theatre previously (the 1911 census shows him as a student living at home with his parents at Farnborough), but the Cody family, prior to 'Colonel' Cody's aviation adventures, were, for a number of years, involved in theatre and music hall performances, so it might, like aviation, have been 'in the blood'. It could equally well, of course, have been the stage name for somebody else.

NigelS

No need to worry about Times extracts as I have already got access

Chris

Was your man a captain in 1915?

Blackall, Capt. C. W. Songs from the Trenches. 1915. 60 pp

THE PADRE

CAPT. C. W. BLACKALL

IPT

That is confirmed from his death notice in the Times

Chris

Guy Benson RATHBONE born 29 May, Sefton Park, Liverpool baptised 26 June 1884, Liverpool (St Michael) Actor - member of Frank Benson's Shakespeare Company Lived at 107 Haverstock Hill, Hampstead, London prior to his death Commission in the Gloucestershire Regiment in February 1915 and died on active service on 21 April 1916 at Sulva Bay, Gallipoli.

His name is included on Basra Memorial.

He married 22 October 1910 at Bayswater (St Matthew), London to Theodora DE SELINCOURT date of birth unknown daughter of Charles Alexander SELINCOURT. She remarried on 22 August 1917 at Hampstead (St Peter), London to Norman Robert McKEOWN, Army Captain, of Sydney, Australia

Parents - Emma Catherine FORGET born c 1857, Liverpool, Lancashire date and place of baptism unknown daughter of Charles J. FORGET & (Louisa BOURGEOIS) married on 14 February 1878 at Mossley (St Matthew & St James) Lancashire to Arthur BENSON RATHBONE born 7 February 1853, Aigbirth, Liverpool son of William Benson RATHBONE (1826-1892) & Hannah Sophia GREG (c1832-1914)

Daughter - Pamela joyce rathbone, was born 25 november 1912, hampstead, london, and married in 1946 in the ashford area of kent to edward coulson who taught history.

13 21st April RATHBONE, Guy Benson Capt - 32 7th Battalion KIA Mespot Sannaiyat, near Kut, R Tigris, Mesopotamia (Iraq)

Educated at Malvern and at Oriel College, Oxford. Commissioned Feb. 1915. Served in Gallipoli from Sept. 1915. Left a widow and child.

The Malvern Register 1865-1904

Rathbone, Guy Benson, Red Gables, Formby, Lancs

Class: Lower Vth-VIth; School Prefect, Second XI Cricket, House XI Football, Shooting Eight. Left Mids 1902.

Oriel College, Oxford.

imdb - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0711688/

War Diaries 7th Glouc

20th - Orders were received from 39th Bde about 7am to push forward during the night and join N Staffs at A4. A Coy was detailed for this purpose with D Coy to follow as a digging party to dig a communication trench between PIMPLES and A4 if attack succeeded. B and C Coys were detailed by 39th to dig a further communication trench along stream towards A3. At 11pm A Coy moved out and shortly after came under heavy machine gun fire from Turkish trenches. This Coy contrived it's advance over the first line of the enemy's trench but again meeting heavy fire and bombs from Turkish communication. Trench A12 were forced to withdraw losing heavily in doing so. It was here that OC A Coy Capt G B Rathbone was killed.

IPT

thanks for that

just noticed that Guy Rathbone was killed the day before my Great Uncle see my signature

Chris

Draper is on my Masonic database:

Mark (Marcus) Denman Draper was a native of Alfreton Derbyshire and was a Freemason who joined Drury Lane Lodge, No. 2127, (London) on 8th February 1916, and was still in London on 11th April 1916. He was said to have been an Actor Manager, and no doubt his itinerant lifestyle prompted him to give his address as as "E" Company, The Artists Rifles (1/28 London Regiment) in which he had enlisted. The Drury Lane Lodge was noted for attracting members from the acting profession. It also had Lord Kitchener as a member.

Second-Lieutenant Draper aged 32 was the eldest son of the Rev. William Henry Draper, Rector of Adel near Leeds and Grandson of Justice Denman. He was educated at Repton School and took up the dramatic profession in which he had begun to make his way. In 1915 he joined the Artists Rifles and obtained a commission in the R.F.C shortly before his death

2Lt Mark Denman Draper of No 2 Reserve Squadron RFC (formerly 28th Battalion, The London Regiment) was killed in an accident with Capt Eric Thomas Farrow (formerly 15th Battalion, The Middlesex Regiment) while flying a Maurice Farman Shorthorn A4102 on 7 February 1917, aged 32.

The Masonic Roll of Honour 1921 incorrectly listed that he served in the Royal Navy.

Hope this helps. If anybody finds a photo of Mark (Marcus) I would like a copy - thanks

Mike

Mark/Mike

thanks for your input

Chris

Chris,

I've posted further info on Capt. Arthur POWLES-CURTIS, 17/KRRC, in your original IFTC topic. Sorry I did not spot it earlier :huh:

Cheers,

Mark

Here's Blackall.

post-174-1253208743.jpg

He was a prewar Special Reserve officer retiring in 1912 with the rank of Captain. During the Boer War he served as Lieutenant with the 3rd Buffs (militia), being awarded the QSA with Cape Colony and Orange Free State and KSA with 1901 and 1902. He was regazetted in September 1914 and went overseas on 25/11/1914 to join the 1st Buffs. He was posted from the 11th Battalion, Cheshire Regiment to command the 4th Battalion, South Staffs Regiment on 10/12/1917. He held the rank of Acting Lieutenant Colonel on his death.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...
Profeit is Leopold.

I may be able to take a photo of his grave shortly.

I'm not in charge of photos, but Martin took several and has begun sorting them.

I did make a note of the inscription on Capt Profeit's grave, which is:

He is not here, but is risen LUKE XXIV.6

Hi Chris,

I have previously posted a fair amount on Charles Cadwaladr TREVOR-ROPER, 14th Hants in another thread. Have a look HERE. Please let me know if you would like any of this information e-mailed through to you. I also have a photograph of his headstone in Duhallow Advanced Dressing Station Cemetery.

Marc

There is a photograph of Capt Arthur Holmes GORE, 8th Hants in The Graphic (Page 345 11/09/1915) which unfortunately I do not have.

Marc

Marc

will let you know in a few days - Im still tied up with IFTC work

Thanks

Chris

• 7 months later...

Hi Chris

I just stumbled over your posting. Do you still want a photo of Holmes-Gore? I have one of him at Watford in tropical kit just prior to embarkation.

Gareth

I am currently updating some research for a lecture presentation and an article/publication [currently some 7000 words!!] on the Green Room Club Memorial and have found that since I started on the project about a year ago, that it has also been discussed on this site.

I came across the memorial when it was in the public view when it was auctioned in Rugby; I photographed it and have researched the names thereon [finding most of the information that has also been found by members on this site - so you all know what a fascinating subject it is!]. I am in touch with various relatives, and have been able to provide them with copies of the images. In return, some have been able to supply images and other information.

I was also able to provide details, names and images to the UK National Inventory of War Memorials at the Imperial War Museum, London.

I may have missed it, but I did not see anything on the site about the Sculpter. It was sculpted by Ferdinand Victor Blunderstone [1882-1951] who also designed several other memorials including the Plimsoll Monument in London and with Joseph Armitage provided the sculptural work for the Tyne Cot Memorial which forms the north-east boundary of the Tyne Cot Cemetery in Belgium.

I am not a regular user of this site and am not sure how to contact anyone direct, but would very much like to contact chrisharley9 who is, I understand, coordinating research for the Green Room Club - it seems that they may have re-formed since their earlier hiatus.

It would be good to know where the monument is now, and whether it will return to the Club.

John Frearson

John

I have sent you an e mail. For security reasons please delete your e mail above

Chris

In an earlier post on this thread, I mentioned my interest in the Green Room Club Plaque, and hoped to make contact with Chris Harley. I was delighted to be so rapidly in communication, and to have had a number of helpful discussion off-site.

The various posts from all the contributors to this thread have been most helpful in identifying further sources and particularly in filling in the military careers of the twelve actor members of the club.

The Report now runs to over 10,000 words, and I have used - with I hope sufficient acklowledgement to the various "posters" - various of this additional material.

May I now use this site / thread to thank particularly Chris Harley, and all of you who contributed to the "thread" and joined in the hunt for information on the actors.

Having checked with Chris that I am not "queering his pitch", I am continuing my research and hope to publish some short articles and finish a power-point lecture presentation.

I have posted a very brief summary about the plaque, the scuptor and the actors' lives on my web site.

http://johnphfrearson.host22.com/The%20Green%20Room%20Plaque.html

This does not at present use much of the military material, however, if any feel that they would like to see the sections of the report where their material may have been used, and the details of the acknowledgement given to them and this Forum, I would be pleased to send the appropriate section off-list - my Email number is on my website.

I am most grateful for the assistance that your researches have provided - and if anything further is known about Henry [possibly Harold] Hargreaves who served as a Second Lieutenant with 2 Bn King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and died on 23 August 1918 that would be welcomed.

Also I'd welcome the image of "Holmes-Gore at Watford in tropical kit" that is mentioned by Gareth "T8HANTS".

Once again, my thanks

John Frearson

John

only too pleased to have been of help

Chris

• 3 years later...

Charles Trevor-Roper is on the memorial I am researching (Newbury, Berkshire), as is his brother Geoffrey. Hugh Trevor-Roper was their first cousin once removed.

His entry in De Ruvigny is a long one - he is also on memorials on the Isle of Wight - resulting in: http://www.isle-of-wight-memorials.org.uk/people_t/trevor-roper_cc.htm , Mold, and Clare College Cambridge. I would welcome news of other memorials he, or his brother, might appear on (I am already pursuing his school).

He's an interesting chap to research, even if his connection to Newbury is a bit tenuous - his widowed mother retired here, I assume he would have visited, but there is actually no evidence to show he was ever in the town.

His service record is pretty much the least useful one I have encountered - it exclusively covers his death, medals and the settling of his estate, his service can only be guessed at from clues in these later documents.

In 1914 he was a founding member of the United Arts Rifles, a Home Defence unit formed by a mix of arty types (he was an actor). An early leader of this unit, Maj Willoughby Wallace, left to take command of the 2/8 Hants (IOW Rifles) - I suspect he took Trevor-Roper with him, certainly he doesn't appear in a list of 'officers' of the unit from Jan '15. He had previous military experience with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in a Volunteer, later Territorial battalion, in which he had risen to Captain before he resigned in early 1914. The resignation appears to be the result of spending more time in London to pursue his acting career.

His service record and CWGC entry show him as 8th Hants, but he dies with the 14th Hants - a temp Maj and 2IC of the battalion - presumably seconded from the 8th for this purpose. I realise it's foolish of me to think this sort of stuff ought to be in his service record, nevertheless ...

The 2/8 Hants never went overseas and the 1/8th were in Mesopotamia - so it seems Charles stayed on home service for some time, until the need for officers at the front was greater. I would have thought his record would be as a 14th Bn man if he went over with them in early '16; so my guess is that he was a replacement, quite possibly in Jan '17 (his temp Majority dates from 1 Jan 1917). But would they appoint a man with no frontline experience as 2IC of a battalion?

I hope the 14th's war diary will clear up most of this (if anyone happens to have a copy please feel free to join in). Or the Army lists?

• 3 months later...

It is some time since I wrote on this topic; meanwhile I have given it as a lecture some four times - including in London for the family history show 'WDYTYA? Live 2014' and have three more bookings this year so far. To accompany the talk, I have now produced a booklet, summarising the families, acting careers and military careers of the twelve actors. I have been pleased to be able to acknowledge the leads and assistance that this site gave in researching these men.

A full review might be 'advertising' and possibly discouraged, but details will be on my website shortly, with a significant discount for orders direct from the author.

See: http://johnphfrearson.host22.com/The%20Green%20Room%20Plaque.html

Once again, my thanks to the forum for their leads, and for permission to use material.

John Frearson