Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wooden barreled artillery?

john jerome mcmanus

G'day all,

I recently purchased a copy of Philip Gibbs' "The Battles of the Somme" 1st edition 1917 and came across the following:

'... there were some captured German guns below ... worth seeing as the first-fruits of victory.

They were being fastened to our own gun-carriages and taken off to the place where such trophies go, ...Queer, beastly things were some of these captured engines. There were long wooden barrels hooped with steel, and with a touch-hole to fire the charge for a "plum-pudding" bomb large enough to blow up ten yards of trench - as primitive as the engines of war used in the fifteenth century.'

Can anyone provide me with any details about these weapons and/or photos?

Regards

Pop

(Sean McManus)

See enclosed photo.There have been postings on the weapon somewhere on the forum. Made of wood tightly bound with wire.

post-9885-1252498913.jpg

I imagine they were fired with a very long lanyard!

Not a lot of use in a touch hole! A long fuse possibly.

The Albrecht mortar was fired by either a fuze or an electric detonator and was intended as a limited lifespan weapon. It had the advantage of being relatively light, I'm surprised that the Germans didn't think of using them when they were trying to develop their own Livens equivalent.

The wooden mortar isn't new - the Union forces used 12 pounder oak mortars (bound with iron straps) in the trenches at Petersberg and Mobile Bay in the closing stages of the ACW as there was a shortage of Cohorns.

G'day Centurion,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Again the resources of this Forum have proven themselves.

Regards

Pop

(Sean McManus)

Hi,

the actual mortar with wooden barrel and hooped with steel

Regards,

Cnock

Albrecht, same type as Centurion's pic

post-7723-1252602021.jpg

Guest AntonEbans

The wooden mortar isn't new - the Union forces used 12 pounder oak mortars (bound with iron straps) in the trenches at Petersberg and Mobile Bay in the closing stages of the ACW as there was a shortage of Cohorns.

Also, earlier, during the seige of Vicksburg (June-July 1863) there were wooden mortars being used.

Hi,

the actual mortar with wooden barrel and hooped with steel

Regards,

Cnock

Albrecht, same type as Centurion's pic

I think the drawing is over scale or the soldier is exceptionally slim

Centurion,

that s why it is a 45 cm mortar, the one in Your pic is only 25 cm

Cnock

Centurion,

that s why it is a 45 cm mortar, the one in Your pic is only 25 cm

Cnock

Well you did say "Albrecht, same type as Centurion's pic" in your post! 450mm is still only 18 inches in old English money so I think my comment would still stand

At http://www.collectorssource.com/ they even had one for sale this summer. I used to think they were makeshift devices made by sappers but there must have been at least an accepted standard design. Are there any references about the grenades used? I could imagine that such devices would be improvized to use enemy ammunition that has been seized.

albrecht_3.jpg

albrecht_4.jpg

Centurion,

there are pics of guys even getting in WW1 38 cm guns

Cnock

• 5 months later...
See enclosed photo.There have been postings on the weapon somewhere on the forum. Made of wood tightly bound with wire.

As a retired Pyrotechnician I can easily state that larger bore tubes shoot farther and project more weight with a correct grade of

blackpowder lift charge. We use HDPE plastic guns to shoot fireworks shows, as long as they cool between shots, they actually

can shoot heavy shells quite a distance.

I am having a problem with the alleged 45 cm mortar. The gun, being largely wood, might have been light, but the shell would have been extraodinarily heavy. The German 42 cm howitzers had a variety of shells, but a typical weight was 2100 lbs, and some may have been considerably heavier. If the 45 cm shell was configured like a 42 cm shell we are talking about 2500 lbs, roughly. If this gun was used the shell was probably shorter (even round?), but it is hard to see how it could have been less than 1000 or 1200 lbs.

This sort of gun could only have worked with a very light propellant charge. Therefore, it would have to be very far up in the front lines. Dragging a 1000 lb. shell thru the trenches?

In 1916 the Germans were having a serious problem with "Big Bertha" 42 cm barrels bursting. These guns did not have wooden barrels. Perhaps the wooden guns were one-shot devices and were loaded with a multi-part charge.

25 cm, probably. 45 cm, I would have to be shown this, unless it was a one-shot device, multi-part "projectile", that could be fired remotely.

Bob Lembke

• 11 months later...

As a ex pyrotechnician we fire large firework shells to 1200 feet easily using light steel and plastic mortars, at a 45 degree angle this can easily reach 5 to 6 hundred meters with a weight of sixty pounds.

The reason for wooden mortars was the infantry could actually carry them into position, the longer barrels increased range considerably. The weight of explosive to shell weight gave these mortars a huge

blast effect on a target easily destroying wire and earthworks, as well as killing men with concussion. The two things that make them work is the correct type of very coarse powder and about a tenth of an inch windage so the pressure does not get to high in the tube. They are not efficient guns as to powder use, range, or accuracy. Just imagine being next to a tin can ten inches in diameter and over a foot long packed with high explosive when it exploded.

Are there any references about the grenades used?

Grenades? according to post 08 they seemed to fire volunteers.

Sorry to lower the tone, (Centurion I do apologise) but its gone 4 and I'm getting a bit bored :blink:

According to a US Army manual of 1918 there were two essential types one on the metal stand as shown and one three quarters buried. And I was incorrect there was an attempt to use them as a gas projector a la the Livens.

• 3 years later...

For Centurion,his post nr.10, see the big Albrecht at the right

drawing was not oversized, or soldier too slim

Cnock

post-7723-0-13621300-1411987296_thumb.jp

See the topic on "Earth Mortar" :

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=156767

Projectile and trench emplacement info and diagrams are given. There appear to have been two types : one with a conventional support (Albrecht ?) apparently for deployment above ground something like a giant Stokes mortar, and another intended to be dug in (Erdmörser) like a Livens projector. Or were the Albrecht and Erdmörser one and the same, just deployed differently ?

I get the impression that these relatively weakly-made devices could throw such large projectiles because the projectiles were relatively light : thin walls and stuffed full of explosive which was fairly light.

Rod