Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Brodie' ID please

deano

I was given this today, would really appreciate any help on if it is the real thing or not.

I have done a bit of research this evening but got a bit confused!

I gather it's a rimless model, it doesn't attract a magnet, and after about an hour found a stamp under the front/back rim, /07 that is a slash 07. The rim is wider at the side than the back/front.

Quick guess, Samuel Osborns, Sheffield, steel batch 7 ?

post-17978-1252099552.jpg

post-17978-1252099778.jpg

If this is the 'real' thing, what colour would it have been ? would it be worth restoring ?

many thanks in advance,

Dean.

Dean, It is the real thing. Not worth "restoring" as far as a liner but you could try a bit of WD40 to bring the color back. Just spray & then let it sit for a couple weeks. The finish will really come back to life. John

Dean,

This may give you some idea of the original colour, at least the colour of a later rimmed Brodie.

Tony

post-6680-1252123418.jpg

Thanks guys,

John, when you say not worth restoring, why ? is it because of the expense or the actual trying to refit a liner ? could i at least get a new chin strap and a lick of paint ? Were my original observations correct ? sorry for all the questions chaps !

regards

Dean.

If the helmet once had a rim, it should still be visible, even if removed decades ago.

The following are some points about the model B 1915 Brodie from the Collectors & Researchers Guide to the Great War:

The model B rimless Brodie was made of hardened non magnetic steel

Usually painted apple green (rimmed helmets are khaki)

The liner is secured by a single rivet punched through the dome

The chinstrap has a prong adjuster (rimmed helmets have a slider buckle)

The chinstrap is attached by folding the strap over having passed it approx. 28mm long by 9mm wide. The loop formed is riveted with a single 2 pronged rivet with the prongs folded over to secure the strap.

The liner consisted of a shiny oilskin type which the troops thought too slippery as the helmet moved around.

Steel suppliers etc. (found this on my laptop and is attributed to Marcus Cotton. Don't know where I got the info)

Steel suppliers:

FS, Thomas Firth and Sons (Sept.15 thru 19)

HS, Hadfields Ltd. Jan 16 thru 1919

BS, W Beardmore & Co. Ltd. Jan 16 thru 19

MS, Miris Steel Co. Ltd March 16 thru 17

Until August 1916 most of this steel was supplied to Joseph Sankey and Son Ltd. for pressing into helmet shape. The remaining 75,000 sheets went to Bleriot Ltd in London or Army & Navy Cooperative.

Sheffield Munitions committee suppliers:

A) Helmet Manufacturer

D, James Dixon & Sons Dec 15 till?

H, W Hutton & Sons Dec 15 till?

HH, Harrison Bros. & Howson Ltd. Dec 15 till?

M, J&J Maxfield & sons Dec 15 till?

R, John Round & Sons 1916

V, W&E Viener Dec 15 till

Steel Supplier

A, Edgar Allen and Co. Ltd 16-18

F, Thomas Firth and Sons 16 till 18

O, Samuel Osborne & Co Ltd. 16 thru 18

V, Vickers Ltd 16-17

B, Bury's & Co. 16-18

Codes on helmets should read M/A That is helmet made by J&J Maxfield & sons from steel supplied by Edgar Allen and Co. Ltd followed by a lot code for the steel.

Sheffield only produced small quantities a week, Edgar Allen and Co. Ltd was known to mark helmets with "Imperial".

Helmet manufacturers not part of the Sheffield Munitions Committee Group:

Army & Navy Co-operative Society Sept 1915 thru Jan 1916 (Not Marked)

Joseph Sankey & Sons Ltd. Oct 15 to Oct 16 (No marks except Steel suppliers)

Bleriot Ltd. May 1916 to October 1916 (No marks except Steel suppliers)

Hadfields Ltd. Aug 1916 to 1919 (Prior to Aug 1916 this firm only supplied steel no mark other than original Steel supplier mark) Aug 16 thru 19

W Beardmore & Co. Ltd. Aug 1916 thru 1918 (Prior to Aug 1916 this firm only supplied steel no mark other than original Steel supplier mark) Aug 16 thru 18

Miris Steel Co. (Prior to Aug 1916 this firm only supplied steel no mark other than original Steel supplier mark) Sept 16 thru 17.

Other marks not 100% identified:

MLS ?

FKS Possibly Thomas Firth & Son

M&S possibly Maxfield & Sons.

As for restoration, I think it's a matter of opinion. I'd leave it as is, a restored helmet will look brand new and for me that's just not right but then I like the been there done that look.

Hope some of the above is useful.

Tony

Restore? restore.........no never.

What you have is a nice untouched brodie that is 90 years old. A bit of TLC and it will remain in the same condition. IT has original paint and is as it was all those years ago. A repaint and new liner???? I would buy it in its present condition but if restored I would not give you a penny for it.

Please please leave it as it is.

If you want a pristine example there are enough ruined / restored / repros on the market!

Regards

TT

I agree with Trenchtrotter, in addition don't abuse it with WD 40 or anything that either. It is an honest gem as it is, 'restored' it is worthless as an item with history.

Thanks guys,

the helmet will not be restored.

If i was selling, which i'm not, how would i accurately describe what it is ? i suppose i'm refering to my original post.

thanks again chaps,

Dean.