Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

uniform identification

meathead2008tod

hi, i have come across a picture of my great great grandfather frank thomas, i cannot identify his hat or badge, can anybody help.

post-49001-1251243307.jpg

It looks to be the badge of the Royal Artillery - either RA, RFA, RGA, RHA (they all basically had the same badge):

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW1-BRITISH-ARMY-CAP-B...id=p3286.c0.m14

Welcome to the forum olivertod,

I agree with artillery with 2 overseas service chevrons (both blue so no 1914 service) and a wound stripe. He also appears to be wearing lace up boots. There are 33 Frank Thomas' serving with the artillery on the MICs, some can be easily ruled out but can you tell us anything else about Frank?

cheers, Jon

He also appears to be wearing lace up boots.

Weren't they almost all lace up? :devilgrin:

I think he is actually wearing leather gaiters/shin protectors - common with drivers (horses) and motorcyclists - over his boots, rather than the more usual puttees.

Chris

You know what I mean ;) and yep on the second look they're more like leg protectors but not the usual leg irons worn by artillery drivers,

Jon

And I can see three (vice two) overseas chevrons and a Good Conduct chevron. Agree he's a Gunner of some type.

I agree with artillery with 2 overseas service chevrons (both blue so no 1914 service) and a wound stripe. He also appears to be wearing lace up boots. There are 33 Frank Thomas' serving with the artillery on the MICs, some can be easily ruled out but can you tell us anything else about Frank?

cheers, Jon

hi, he was born 21 may 1895 in todmorden west yorkshire, hope this helps.

cheers, Jon

born 21 may 1895, can you tell me anything more about is hat please?

cheers, Jon

HI, I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT HE MAY HAVE BEEN PART OF THE WEST YORKS CORPS AND MAY HAVE ENLISTED 10.1.1916. PLEASE PLEASE COULD YOU VERIFY IF POSSIBLE. MANY THANKS

And I can see three (vice two) overseas chevrons and a Good Conduct chevron. Agree he's a Gunner of some type.

OK I can see three OSC but can't see the GCC nor anything to say he's a Gunner, with those boots he's most likely to be a Driver.

Is there any more to the picture you've posted as there may be further clues that could help ID Frank's unit

Jon

His hat appears to be the standard SD cap with the wire stiffener removed, there does appear to be a mark/smudge at the top centre which makes it look a little odd,

Jon

OK I can see three OSC but can't see the GCC nor anything to say he's a Gunner, with those boots he's most likely to be a Driver.

Is there any more to the picture you've posted as there may be further clues that could help ID Frank's unit

Jon

HI, YES I WILL POST THE FULL PICTURE

post-49001-1251293892.jpg

His hat appears to be the standard SD cap with the wire stiffener removed, there does appear to be a mark/smudge at the top centre which makes it look a little odd,

Jon

I think someone has "Exed" the photo to mark "this is me"

agree on the cap and looks like all the badges are artillery men (couple clearer)

Staffsyeoman "Gunner" could be simply a generic referent to "Artillery" rather than a specific reference to an artillery rank - I think he is a driver given leggings. He also appears to be wearing riding breeches rather than trousers which would also imply that.

I too see no good conduct chevron - I see a wound stripe.

Chris

cheers, Jon

CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY INFORMATION ON FRANK THOMAS PLEASE.

I think someone has "Exed" the photo to mark "this is me"

agree on the cap and looks like all the badges are artillery men (couple clearer)

Staffsyeoman "Gunner" could be simply a generic referent to "Artillery" rather than a specific reference to an artillery rank - I think he is a driver given leggings. He also appears to be wearing riding breeches rather than trousers which would also imply that.

I too see no good conduct chevron - I see a wound stripe.

Chris

Hi for what its worth I can see no good conduct stripe. Only the overseas service chevrons and the wound stripe...for a good example of where Good Conduct Stripe would be worn look no further than the three on the sleeve on my avatar

I would agree that the leggings strongly suggest a Driver however the breeches in and of themself would note exclude a gunner in the Royal Horse and Field Artillery as they were designated mounted troops and wore mounted accoutrments as standard. This did not apply to Royal Garrison Artillery where only Drivers wore breeches and the usual mounted troops paraphenalia

looks like a wound stripe to me.

Mick