Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bombers' 'flaming grenade' sleeve insignia

Bob Chandler

I'm doing a little research for a friend whose great-grandfather was a bomber in the 6th Connaught Rangers. I understand that as from October 1915, those men who had successfully attended a bombing course were entitled to wear a flaming grenade badge worn on the right sleeve just below the shoulder.

Could anyone provide me with an illustration of the insignia or point me in the right direction? As I say, it is purely for personal research and to give my mate an idea of what his great-grandfather would have worn.

Cheers

Charles

Charles,

I do have 2 illustrations by Mike Chappel that show a Sgt Bomber and Cpl Bomber who are both wearing the grenade badge you describe, the flames are red and the ball khaki. Let me know if you'd like to see the pics and I'll get some steam up for the scanner,

cheers, Jon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
...and one being worn by Cpl G C Miles, MM of 11/Royal Fusiliers

Is this correct,as i thought this was only worn on one side of the sleave,this picture showing the wrong one ?

Such a misuse is very common: RSMs and Adjts in the Great War were sometimes too busy to enforce minute uniformity.

Yes, all appointment badges upper right arm ONLY.

The pictures of Corporal (later Sergeant) Miles, MM show him wearing them on both sleeves (you can just make the one on the other sleeve out if you look carefully). I think there is another picture of him and some of his Bombing Section and all of them appear to have the badge on both sleeves. Battalion custom perhaps?

Grump - did you see the 8th Suffolk appointment badges I put on the cloth insignia post? A fetching shade of red with yellow/gold thread; not much conformity there either. Same division as Cpl Miles - maybe Sir Ivor Maxse was keen on diversity!

Cheers,

Taff

The pictures of Corporal (later Sergeant) Miles, MM show him wearing them on both sleeves (you can just make the one on the other sleeve out if you look carefully).

I have a period KOYLI SD which also has blue Trench Mortar bombs on both sleeves too.

Also: here's the March 1917 all-red item for comparison.

CopyofBombersBadge1917pattern.jpg

Best wishes,

GT.

• 1 month later...
Guest MD Anglerman

Here is one that I just picked up. Identified as used by Trench Mortarmen and introduced in 1916. It is my understanding that white flames would have been for officers. Anyone have any additional information on these?

post-49870-1258422645.jpg

post-49870-1258422656.jpg