Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MAJ Witte, German Battalion Commander at High Wood 1916

schrockd

Does anyone have a photograph of MAJ Witte, Battalion Commander III/26th German Regiment?

I have been doing research on my Great Uncle who served with the 16th KRRC (Church Lads) and was killed at High Wood on 15 JUL 1916. Having read "A Hell Called High Wood". MAJ Witte's Battalion was largely responsible for the failure of the the attack mounted that day by 100th BDE, 33rd Division against the "Switch Line" Trench. I would like to add a photo of MAJ Witte to my report.

I see that photos of MAJ Witte were made available on an earlier topic concerning MAJ Witte by Ralph J. Whitehead, but are no longer accessible on this website.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Does anyone have a photograph of MAJ Witte, Battalion Commander III/26th German Regiment?

I have been doing research on my Great Uncle who served with the 16th KRRC (Church Lads) and was killed at High Wood on 15 JUL 1916. Having read "A Hell Called High Wood". MAJ Witte's Battalion was largely responsible for the failure of the the attack mounted that day by 100th BDE, 33rd Division against the "Switch Line" Trench. I would like to add a photo of MAJ Witte to my report.

I see that photos of MAJ Witte were made available on an earlier topic concerning MAJ Witte by Ralph J. Whitehead, but are no longer accessible on this website.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I take an interest in 16th KRRC and have some research materials. Tell me you relative's name and service number and I will see what I can turn up. I am a member of the Church Lads Brigade Historical Group. Cannot help with Major Witte but, like you, have just been reading about him in Hell They Called High Wood.

Johnny Conn

I take an interest in 16th KRRC and have some research materials. Tell me you relative's name and service number and I will see what I can turn up. I am a member of the Church Lads Brigade Historical Group. Cannot help with Major Witte but, like you, have just been reading about him in Hell They Called High Wood.

Johnny Conn

Johnny:

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

My Great Uncle was L/CPL George Henry Tranter, Serial# C/1119. According to the Memorial Card (presumably sent by the C.L.B.), he was assigned to one of the platoons in "C" Company and was killed on 15 JUL 1915. I have obtained a lot of peripheral information concerning the Battalion's activites through such sources as the "33rd Divisional History", "With the C.L.B. Battalion in France", and extracts of the Battalion "Diary" and "Chronicles" (not to mention this excellent website), but nothing specific regarding my Great Uncle. I realize he met his end somewhere in the cornfield adjacent and west of High Wood; most probably from the intense machine-gun fire coming from High Wood and/or the "Switch Line" Trench.

I've attempted to upload a photo of the Tranter Family I believe was taken around May 1915 while he was visiting his family in High Wycombe, Bucks (fairly close to Denham where the Battalion was formed) shortly after the Battalion returned from Rayleigh. My Grandmother is the young girl in the center. My Great Uncle was born in Stockenchurch, Bucks in 1892 and raised in High Wycombe. He, as his Father and Grandfather before, were chairmakers. The Tranters attended "All Saints" Anglican church, so it is likely he was a member of "All Saints Company #691".

Dale

post-47114-1250266639.jpg

Johnny:

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

My Great Uncle was L/CPL George Henry Tranter, Serial# C/1119. According to the Memorial Card (presumably sent by the C.L.B.), he was assigned to one of the platoons in "C" Company and was killed on 15 JUL 1915. I have obtained a lot of peripheral information concerning the Battalion's activites through such sources as the "33rd Divisional History", "With the C.L.B. Battalion in France", and extracts of the Battalion "Diary" and "Chronicles" (not to mention this excellent website), but nothing specific regarding my Great Uncle. I realize he met his end somewhere in the cornfield adjacent and west of High Wood; most probably from the intense machine-gun fire coming from High Wood and/or the "Switch Line" Trench.

I've attempted to upload a photo of the Tranter Family I believe was taken around May 1915 while he was visiting his family in High Wycombe, Bucks (fairly close to Denham where the Battalion was formed) shortly after the Battalion returned from Rayleigh. My Grandmother is the young girl in the center. My Great Uncle was born in Stockenchurch, Bucks in 1892 and raised in High Wycombe. He, as his Father and Grandfather before, were chairmakers. The Tranters attended "All Saints" Anglican church, so it is likely he was a member of "All Saints Company #691".

Dale

I will see what I can turn up, Dale. Thanks for the information. Johnny

I will see what I can turn up, Dale. Thanks for the information. Johnny

Johnny:

Sounds great. I look forward to hearing from you.

Attached is the "Memorial" Card I just scanned. It comes in three separate pieces of paper (roughly 1" x 3" in dimension).

Dale

post-47114-1250269461.jpg

post-47114-1250269489.jpg

post-47114-1250269509.jpg

Would you believe that the last C/ number referred to with the original enlistments is C/1118.

Can you say if your uncle was entitled to the 14/15 Star?

I found a page in The Brigade for October 1916 - see attached. Will keep looking.

If you want a higher quality copy email me with your email address.

Would you believe that the last C/ number referred to with the original enlistments is C/1118.

Can you say if your uncle was entitled to the 14/15 Star?

I found a page in The Brigade for October 1916 - see attached. Will keep looking.

If you want a higher quality copy email me with your email address.

Yes, he was entitled the 1914-15 Star according to the Medal Index Card. One of the pages of he Medal Index reflects C/1118 (Rifleman George E. Buck). The numbers on this page go up to C/1129 (Rifleman Ernest Wheatley) being assigned to 16th KRRC. Unfortunately, this file is too big to attach here, but I can attach it to an e-mail if you would like a copy.

Based on his serial number, I figured he was among the last to enlist. At the time war broke out, he was engaged to be married. He may have waited until the last possible moment to enlist into the Battalion.

Yes, I would appreciate an e-mailed copy of "The Brigage for October 1916". I'm not quite sure where to find your e-mail address in this message traffic.

My Great Uncle was L/CPL George Henry Tranter, Serial# C/1119. According to the Memorial Card (presumably sent by the C.L.B.), he was assigned to one of the platoons in "C" Company

Dale

Dale,

I'm afraid I can't quite read the detail on the Memorial Card, but I have a group photo of 11th Platoon, 'C' Company, 16/KRRC taken at Denham in mid 1915.

It's a very poor quality scan, I'm afraid, but if it's your great uncle's platoon, it is at least something!

Cheers,

Mark

I tried to email you but could not. If you make several more posts you should be allowed to receive emails. If you click on the name conijoni and choose from the drop menu, you may be able to get me. I have some pictures of platoons of C company - they are originals and so will be of good quality. Johnny Conn

I believe you want Hans Witte. Here is his family, father: Oberst a.D. Carl Witte, brothers Fritz, Curt and the man on the right is Hans Witte, the officer you requested.

Ralph

post-32-1250301954.jpg

Dale,

I'm afraid I can't quite read the detail on the Memorial Card, but I have a group photo of 11th Platoon, 'C' Company, 16/KRRC taken at Denham in mid 1915.

It's a very poor quality scan, I'm afraid, but if it's your great uncle's platoon, it is at least something!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark:

Unfortunately, the copy of the card my Aunt sent me is a little faint. The inscription on the card reads as follows:

"In Loving Memory or L-Corp George Henry Tranter, 1119 C Company, 16th Battalion King's Royal rifle Corps CLB who was killed in action in France on July 15th, 1916, Age 24 years old"

The other side of the card has the quote: "Greater love hath no man that this--that a man lay down his life for his friends"

The photo you have of 11th Platoon sounds quite interesting, though I didn't see it attached to your message.

Dale

I believe you want Hans Witte. Here is his family, father: Oberst a.D. Carl Witte, brothers Fritz, Curt and the man on the right is Hans Witte, the officer you requested.

Ralph

Ralph:

Thank-you very much. After reading "A Hell Called High Wood", I was impressed with his initiative and tactical boldness. His photo will be an excellent addition to my report. Thanks again!

Dale

Hello Dale, It is a low resolution scan, if you need something larger that will print better let me know by a PM and provide an e-mail where I can send an additional scan. Glad to be of help.

Ralph

I tried to email you but could not. If you make several more posts you should be allowed to receive emails. If you click on the name conijoni and choose from the drop menu, you may be able to get me. I have some pictures of platoons of C company - they are originals and so will be of good quality. Johnny Conn

Johnny:

I tried going through conijoni, but I get an error message indicating I'm allowed to use that feature. My e-mail address is: daleschrock736@hotmail.com

I look forward to seeing the platoon photos. Thanks!

Dale

Hello Dale, It is a low resolution scan, if you need something larger that will print better let me know by a PM and provide an e-mail where I can send an additional scan. Glad to be of help.

Ralph

Ralph:

The photo looks pretty good, but if you can send it to my e-mail address that would be great. e-mail: daleschrock736@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Dale

Mark:

Unfortunately, the copy of the card my Aunt sent me is a little faint. The inscription on the card reads as follows:

"In Loving Memory or L-Corp George Henry Tranter, 1119 C Company, 16th Battalion King's Royal rifle Corps CLB who was killed in action in France on July 15th, 1916, Age 24 years old"

The photo you have of 11th Platoon sounds quite interesting, though I didn't see it attached to your message.

Dale

Dale,

Here you go ...

post-20192-1250439531.jpg

As I said, it's not high quality! Johnny (conijoni) may well have better versions.

I think the "1119" on your Aunt's card is more likely to refer to his Service Number of C/1119 than 11th Platoon :-(, so this may not be his platoon at all.

When you compare them to the officers in the centre, it looks like the Other Ranks are wearing the rifle green (i.e. nearly black) No 1 Dress rifles tunics rather than khaki Service Dress.

I have another picture of the whole 16th Battalion on Inspection parade at Denham, again appearing to be wearing the rifles dress tunic. I suspect the smaller units probably had group photos taken at the same occasion.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

The uniform was blue. It was a temporary uniform as the khaki was not available. They also used poles to drill as rifles were also in short supply.

Johnny

Dale,

Here you go ...

post-20192-1250439531.jpg

As I said, it's not high quality! Johnny (conijoni) may well have better versions.

I think the "1119" on your Aunt's card is more likely to refer to his Service Number of C/1119 than 11th Platoon :-(, so this may not be his platoon at all.

When you compare them to the officers in the centre, it looks like the Other Ranks are wearing the rifle green (i.e. nearly black) No 1 Dress rifles tunics rather than khaki Service Dress.

I have another picture of the whole 16th Battalion on Inspection parade at Denham, again appearing to be wearing the rifles dress tunic. I suspect the smaller units probably had group photos taken at the same occasion.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark:

Thanks for the photo. I concur with Johnny, the organization (as did many of the "Pals Battalions) received the surge blue uniform (I believe this was the homeland uniform for the territorial regiments). I understand it was quite unpopular as the men felt it made them look more like postmen than soldiers. It wasn't until the 16th KRRC was at Rayleigh in April-May 1915 that they received the issue "drab-brown" uniforms.

The Battalion photo you speak of, is it the one from the book "With the C.L.B. Battalion in France" written by the Battalion Chaplain, Reverend James Duncan (published 1917)? There is a fold-out photo included in the book of the Battalion fully drawn-up. If so, I recently acquired a copy of this book and the photo is fantastic.

I initially thought that the photo was taken after the Battalion received the drab-brown uniforms, but on closer inspection it appears that they are still wearing the surge-blue uniforms. This would make sense as many other photos I've seen were all taken by the same photographer, Ward's Studios, Uxbridge.

I have heard that there are other photos of the Battalion drawn-up in the streets of Rayleigh, but I've only seen one of these photos from an earlier posting on the Great War Forum.

Dale

post-47114-1250446451.jpg

Mark

The uniform was blue. It was a temporary uniform as the khaki was not available. They also used poles to drill as rifles were also in short supply.

Johnny

Doh! Of course they were - don't know what made me forget that!!! I'd only been reading about that earlier that day!

Senior moment :rolleyes:

Mark

Mark:

The Battalion photo you speak of, is it the one from the book "With the C.L.B. Battalion in France" written by the Battalion Chaplain, Reverend James Duncan (published 1917)? There is a fold-out photo included in the book of the Battalion fully drawn-up. If so, I recently acquired a copy of this book and the photo is fantastic.

Dale

That's the one!

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I.am also related to George Henry Tranter and read this post with great interest,any more info you have I would be very interested .I Came across him when researching the tranters of Stokenchurch Oxfordshire.

John Tranter.

Mark:

The other side of the card has the quote: "Greater love hath no man that this--that a man lay down his life for his friends"

Dale

John chapter XV, verse 13

Mark

John chapter XV, verse 13

Mark

Interesting. The composer, John Ireland wrote a piece for chorus and orchestra by that name. I figured it had to be a verse from the Bible, but being a bit of a 'heathen' I wasn't quite sure where it was found. THANKS!

Dale

I.am also related to George Henry Tranter and read this post with great interest,any more info you have I would be very interested .I Came across him when researching the tranters of Stokenchurch Oxfordshire.

John Tranter.

John:

Unfortunately, the Tranter were not inclined to speak about those who had died. The only other information I have about George Tranter is that he was engaged to someone named "Nellie" when he enlisted. My Mother can't recall her last name. Nellie remained close to the family for the remainder of her life. She never married.

Attached is a family tree showing dates of birth, marriage & death. I don't have information further back than this on the Tranters. Are you related to a sibling of George Tranter's Father (also named George Tranter) or Grandfather (Henry Tranter)?

I do have additional information concerning their second eldest son, Tom Tranter, served in the Royal Field Artillery during the Great War. I recently learned that he rose to the rank of Battery Sergeant Major and served in both France and Italy. Unfortunately, there is no information regarding what brigade or division he served with. A research handicap as his service records (if they survived the "Blitz') would reflect Royal Field Artillery but not the organizations he served in.

Dale

post-47114-1252587399.jpg

Thanks for the info about the Tranters of Wycombe ,I have a full family tree going back to about 1700.

George Tranter was the son of Henry Tranter (1834) & Catherine Barlow.

Then Thomas Tranter(1797)&Susanna Rixon,

Richard Tranter(1767)&Elizabeth Pearce,

Edward Tranter(1727)&Mary Austin, all born in and around Stokenchurch.

Tranters I have found in the Great War are my Grand father Albert,Wilfred Tranter(1895)no 2467 the hampshire reg.

William Richard Tranter(born 1880 kirlee India ,died 7th aug 1915 killed in action)no s/11638 Cameron Highlanders.

Charles Tranter(1885) no 7266 Royal Berkshire Reg.

George Tranter(1874) no 23110 25th Fusiliers.

Our family connection goes back to Edward (1727).

Thanks John.