Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC West tomorrow night

Soren

I just had a really bizarre experience I've just been filmed by BBC West on my stand just by the Menin Gate, going out tomorrow night (completely by surprise I might add so apologies for being unshaven).

I had the honour of being asked about Harry and my connection with him, no promises they'll use it, I just hope that I did Harry justice!

Soren

There's nothing about a programme on Harry Patch according to the BBC West schedule for tomorrow. You might be an item on Points West which is the local news programme at 6.30pm. You can get the programme on Sky channel 986.

Hi Iain.

Apart from Harry's recent letter to the Branch ref his own Memorial Inauguration Ceremony, I will also give notice of Harry's very last letter that he wrote 3 days before he died and sent to me, ref the Tank Memorial Ypres Salient. It will be an honour to share this first letter immediately and give notice for the second letter.

BBC Points West are now announcing live that they will be covering Harry's funeral tomorrow at 11.45 AM.

Best wishes.

Chris.

Chris

Do you intend posting Harry's two letters on the Forum for the rest of us to see?

Many thanks

Brian

I have 2 letters written to me by Harry.

The first is from Harry thanking the Ypres Branch RBL for our attendance at his Memorial un veiling. It is simply a Branch and Standard Bearer thank you letter.

The second letter was sent to me 3 days before Harry died and is possibly the very last letter that Harry drafted and signed. This is the situation regarding Harry's last letter to me:

About an hour ago, I received a phone call from BBC TV in the UK and I have confirmed that I can show and offer the letter regarding his Memorial Ceremony today however, I cannot reveal the contents of Harry's last letter as this letter is from Harry himself to salute the fallen tank crews that fought alongside him during his Battalions assault into Langemark. This letter is being read out publically at the Tank Memorial Ypres Salient Inauguration Ceremony by Jeremy Banning on October 10th as per my respectful offer to Jeremy. I cannot think of a more derserving person than Jeremy to have this honour! See http://www.tankmemorial.vpweb.co.uk/

After the Ceremony, the letter will be made public and placed into the Memorials archives and I will then gladly post on the forum. I hope you understand Brian.

Best wishes.

Chris Lock

Coordinator Tank Memorial Ypres Salient.

Thanks for posting the link Soren, very interesting, nice to meet you last week, got the sanctuary wood print framed up and in pride of place at home !,

kind regards and best wishes,

John.

Nice one Soren. Great tributes by you, Iain and John there.

I feel it is starting to dawn on many of us today, the day of Harry's funeral on what we realy have lost forever.

We will remember him.

Chris.

Just got back from the service and finally met Brian Curragh (and family). I think I saw John Flook (JRF) too!! Not much chance of taking pics in the cathedral but here's a few from outside.............

A Frenchman came as a French soldier...........

dscf6018.jpg

This has to be worthy of a caption contest!!!

dscf6020.jpg

I've just checked the BBC & ITN sites - they've got 2 minutes or so of footage (I saw my bold spot!!). So far Sky News has only a couple of photos.

I have just been speaking to John Maguire, the BBC Points West Journalist that has reported on this from over here in Belgium. He tells me the whole half hour Points West programme tonight on after the main BBC news will be dedicated to Harry Patch.

Best regards

Iain

There's also supposed to be a special programme on BBC2 tonight covering the service. Perthe Radio Times, at 7pm there's a 30 minutes prog on Henry Allingham then at 7.30 one for Harry.