Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Patch, The Last Tommy - BBC1 Sunday 9th August...

Chief_Chum

Just a quick message to let you know that the final part of the BBC1 ‘Last Tommy’ Trilogy will be shown next Sunday, 9th August.

We filmed the last part over three years ago and the BBC have been sitting on it waiting so that they could rename the last part, ‘Harry Patch, The Last Tommy’. Personally I would rather they had shown it while he was still alive but never mind.

The footage I have seen is excellent; every bit as good as in the first two parts. It does not just cover Harry’s story; several of the last Veterans of The Great War are featured. Part three tells what happened to them after the war.

I hope you enjoy it and find it a fitting tribute to the last of the many.

With best wishes,

Taff

post-1565-1249250530.gif

post-1565-1249250545.gif

Just a quick message to let you know that the final part of the BBC1 ‘Last Tommy’ Trilogy will be shown next Sunday, 9th August.

We filmed the last part over three years ago and the BBC have been sitting on it waiting so that they could rename the last part, ‘Harry Patch, The Last Tommy’. Personally I would rather they had shown it while he was still alive but never mind.

The footage I have seen is excellent; every bit as good as in the first two parts. It does not just cover Harry’s story; several of the last Veterans of The Great War are featured. Part three tells what happened to them after the war.

I hope you enjoy it and find it a fitting tribute to the last of the many.

With best wishes,

Taff

Nice one Taff

Well worth the wait, I'll bet.

Thanks for letting us all know the crack.

Dick

Taff,

Thanks very much for the notification. Any idea of the programme time?

Thanks,

Ian.

Hi, I don't live in the UK anymore. Is there any way I could get copies of these three docs? Does the Beeb sell them online? Or is there some kind soul out there who could take the trouble to record them? Thanks.

Hi Powis,

It would amaze me if, given the current interest in the last of the Great War Veterans, the BBC didn't release all three programmes on DVD.

If they do I am sure Forum members will post the details on here.

Taff

...and a scene cut from the final film; Arthur interrogating German officers to find out what happened to the SOE girls who were captured.

post-1565-1249809053.gif

realy good Taff, Glad I had a spare ticket for you guys on Thursday! Quite a day

Matt

Watched the programme and it was a fitting conclusion to a great series.

I am going to use this as part of my Remembrance work in November at school

A definitive closure

John

Greatly enjoyed the programme Taff. I am surprised at the lack of comments about a programme so close to GWF members’ interest. I did think the programme was broadcast at rather a funny time – 8 or 9pm would undoubtedly have achieved much better viewing figures. I bet Harvey is a bit frustrated after all that work and that long wait between shooting and transmission. Lovely to see the lifeboat launch too. It seems so long ago that it was quite refreshing to revisit the day. Many congrats to you on the recreations scenes too.

For those who didn’t watch it, here is the link on the BBC iplayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00m5...The_Last_Tommy/

Highly recommended viewing.

Just watched this programme as sky + it. A very good programme as of course was the original series. Nice to learn more about the other veterans as well as Harry. But if i'm totally honest towards the end when seeing all the scenes with Harry in and ending with the shot of him i was sobbing my heart out. I never knew him personally but from tv like this and his book like many more it felt like he was one of the family and everyone had a connection with him and alot of love and admiration. I thank god for sending us Harry and for Harry's never ending message of peace & reconcilliation. May you be at peace now & forever more

Wayne

I'm glad you all enjoyed it.

Jeremy - I agree about the timing; 6pm on a Sunday was a very odd time. Plenty of people told me they missed it as they were expecting it to be shown later in the evening. It's not the first time that Great War programmes we have made have suffered at the hands of TV schedulers but I suspect that it had to be squeezed into an available gap once the events of the last few weeks had unfolded.

It was a nice blend of interview/reconstruction and documentary. The RNLI sequence and the final trip to Flanders were great. I'm sure Harry would have been pleased.

The scene where Arthur Halestrap was offered the young German girl by her parents was particularly poignant for us as the old German couple were played by Jerry and Jose who own the farm where our reconstructions took place. Sadly Jose died after a long battle with cancer earlier this year.

It is always a pleasure working with Harvey the director. We have just finished shooting a programme with him about the women of the Air Transport Auxiliary who flew aircraft from the factories to the squadrons in WW2.

Martin - thanks again for the tickets. Six Chums managed to make it into the Cathedral for the service. The other Chums had a great view from their vantage point directly opposite the Cathedral door. It was a super service and a day none of us will forget.

Cheers,

Taff

Hi, I don't live in the UK anymore. Is there any way I could get copies of these three docs? Does the Beeb sell them online? Or is there some kind soul out there who could take the trouble to record them? Thanks.

i have recorded said items on to DVD if you would like a copy please PM me for details...Kind Regards Russ.

i have recorded said items on to DVD if you would like a copy please PM me for details...Kind Regards Russ.

Thanks very much, Russ. How best could we get these to me? Perhaps you could send a copy to my parent's address in Wales and I could mail you a money order to cover any costs.

David (Powis)

Dave,i have tried to send you a PM but you havent configured your settings to recieve PMs. :)