Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos of Kosturino and 10th Irish Div Memorial

roughdiamond

Hi All

I'm relatively new to this so please bear with me, I'd be interested to see photos of the Battle of Kosturino site, 10th Irish Div memorial if anyone has any, I've google imaged the memorial with no luck, my main interest is the 5th Connaught Rangers with whom my Great Uncle was killed serving with on 07/12/1915.

I'll enter his details on the soldiers forum.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Simon the link worked perfectly and the photos are excellent.

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam,

Try and look at Under the Devil's Eye by Alan Wakefield and I. Alan's chapter on the fighting at Kosturino is quite detailed. Incidentally, the village of Tartali where the 5th Connaughts spent some time prior to the battle still exists - it is pretty interesting.

The CO's diaries papers (Col Jourdain) and photos of the period are held here at the National Army Museum. Some of the pictures are also held by the IWM.

All the best

Simon

Hi Sam

You are in luck as there are a few excellent resources available (the best pictures are probably the link in the middle of this waffle but I thought I would point you at everything I have come across just in case!)

First is the link that Simon pointed you at - this is excellent for the secondary positions on Crete Rivet and Simonet

(Simon - I couldn't see the attached image - don't know if others can - was it the picture showing the troops in the trenches/sangars on the ridge or it something else?)

As Simon also says the IWM holds a number of period photos of the positions and some of the towns around them.

Try http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/qryImages.php

and then search for Jourdain or Kosturino - either search brings up essentially the same photos but there is the odd extra one or two that come up with each

Just small pictures I'm afraid, but you can purchase any you may be particularly interested in from the IWM

Next is google maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps) - Make sure you have the Labels ticked at the top right of the screen - zoom in on the bottom right hand corner of Macedonia until you have Strumica at the top, Valandovo at the left and lake Doiran at the bottom and then make sure you have Photos ticked which is under More at the top right of the screen

You will see a few interesting pictures of the area. The memorial is the picture on the T junction just to the right of Valandovo. There is also a very interesting picture of Ormanli, Rocky Peak and the Kosturino ridge from the Bulgarian side to the right (its the second one over) of the road between Valandovo and Strumica.

These pictures are always been added to (the last is very recent), hence why I've suggested how to find them rather than simply attaching them

However, the best pictures of the primary position on Kosturino ridge are available on http://www.flickr.com/ courtesy of gearoidoh

Search for Kosturino and then click on gearoidoh which is a link below either of the photos

There are some superb pictures of Rocky Peak and the views from the ridge to the North and West

Not directly relevant to what you are looking for but very interesting are some pictures of the other villages in the area that you will find mentioned in the accounts (Memesli, Ormanli, DorLombos). Go to http://picasaweb.google.com and serach for memesli

Click on one of the photos and then select the Album link at the top right of the page szkoly tureckie_strumica

You will find about 60 photos from a Polish gentleman's visit to the three villages (text in Polish but the village names are obvious)

You may also be interested in the pictures available at http://salonikabattlefieldtour.com/gallery.html

The Memorials and cemeteries link has a picture of the memorial and another which shows the view South from it

There are a few buildings at the end of these pictures that I would be very interested if anyone knows what they show - particularly if one is the building used as the hospital in Dedeli - my grandfather was a doctor with the 10th Irish there

Plus if anyone knows of a photo showing Dedeli pass, particularly the "yellow house" at the top of the pass I would love to see it!

Happy viewing, and thanks to the generous people, particularly gearoidoh, who have put the images on the web!

AndyR

PS if any of the above failed to make sense or to work - please let me know and I will try to help

Thanks Simon and Andy, fantastic help, I've ordered "Under the Devils Eye" from Waterstones and they're trying to get me a copy, I've also been on the "Salonika Campaign Society" site and noticed that in their magazine "The New Mosquito" Issue 2 has a Unit history of the 5th Connaught Rangers and Issue 3 has photos of them so I'm going to order back copies, and most likely join the society.

I take it Simon you're the one who's a regular contributor?

Again thank you

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sam,

Yes, I used to edit the newsletter.

Sorry about the delay in responding- I just moved to new Zealand.

All the best

Simon Moody

Ps If you csan get a copy of Under the Devil's Eye - enjoy. We enjoyed writing it!

Hi Sam,

Try and look at Under the Devil's Eye by Alan Wakefield and I. Alan's chapter on the fighting at Kosturino is quite detailed. Incidentally, the village of Tartali where the 5th Connaughts spent some time prior to the battle still exists - it is pretty interesting.

The CO's diaries papers (Col Jourdain) and photos of the period are held here at the National Army Museum. Some of the pictures are also held by the IWM.

All the best

Simon

I think Simon means Tatarli - a lovely friendly little village

As for copies of Under the Devil's Eye - they are currently advertised second hand on the web for around £400 .... I could probably let you have mine for £350 .......

Just keep looking and eventually a cheaper one may pop up OR try an inter-library loan and borrow it.

• 4 months later...
I've ordered "Under the Devils Eye" from Waterstones and they're trying to get me a copy,

Out of interest did you ever get it from Waterstones?

• 3 weeks later...
Out of interest did you ever get it from Waterstones?

Hi Corisade, sorry it took so long to get back to you, the answer is no, they couldn't get a copy, I pointed out to them that "they shouldn't advertise the book for sale if they don't have and can't get it", I was asked if I wanted to "speak to their supervisor", I politely declined.

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

I just got the the same reply from Waterstones, that they could not get the book, even though they advertise it.

It took 2 months from ordering to telling me I could not have it - seemd too good to be true selling at cost, and indeed it was!

Guys

As I finally have some time free from other Macedonia based projects, I am about to approach a couple of publishers regarding a reprint of Under the Devil's Eye. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted.

ALAN

Guys

As I finally have some time free from other Macedonia based projects, I am about to approach a couple of publishers regarding a reprint of Under the Devil's Eye. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted.

ALAN

Cheers Alan

If it comes off, any chance of a PM?

Sam

Alan

Good luck with brokering a reprint.

The fact that copies are in the $350 to $450 range on Amazon.com today should show publishers that there is interest in the book only first published in 2004!