Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal West Kents at Schwaben Redoubt

Guest johnmarshall1962

Guest johnmarshall1962

I am trying to find out more about the circumstances of the death of a soldier in the QORWK Regiment. He was Private FA Medhurst No. G2164 of the 7th Battalion and was killed on 30th September 1916 in the fighting for the Schwaben Redoubt. He is buried in the Mill Road Cemetery.

I have examined the battalion's war diary for that day but the main problems are 1). not knowing which company he was in, and 2). not knowing the whereabouts of various 'points' mentioned in the war diary. These are: points 19, 39, 45, 65, 86, 89. I assume that they refer to sections of British trench but that may not be the case. Are there maps which show these 'points'?

Any information would be gratefully received.

John

John,

They're positions in and around the redoubt themselves. For instance point 39 is within grid no 20.

Look at this map:

Schwaben1916.jpg

You're in luck as I'm researching someone who fought in the 8/East Surreys. This is from the Official History:

‘On the front of the 18th Division, the 8/Suffolk, occupying the right of the 53rd Brigade, the upper portion of Midway Line, was relieved by the 6/R. Berkshire in the early morning. Br General Higginson decided that the 7/Queen’s, in the southern face of Schwaben was in no condition to attack; few of the battalion had had any sleep since the battle began, and most of the officers and N.C.O.’s were casualties. The day was therefore devoted to reorganisation and consolidation of the position, the 8/East Surrey relieving the Queen’s at night.

The narrow 54th Brigade front was the scene of a continuous struggle. At 6.30 A.M. the 7/West Kent began to take over the whole line from the western face of the Schwaben Redoubt to the German front system. There was fierce fighting during the relief, and by 7.30 A.M. a hostile bombing attack recaptured a trench junction north west of the redoubt. On the western face of Schwaben the combat continued all day, with heavy losses on both sides. German bombing attacks, each preceded by a bombardment, failed to make much impression on the West Kent, who attacked in their turn at 10 P.M., but the ground they gained could not be held, as the supply of bombs ran short. The battalion was called upon to relieve the 74th Brigade in the German front line, and this operation was completed by 3 A.M. on the morning of the 30th September. Br. General Sir T Jackson had now assumed command of the whole divisional front, held by the 6/R. Berkshire and his own 8/E. Surrey and 7/R. West Kent.

The 18th Division was again heavily engaged, for at dawn a German counter-attack caught the East Surrey before they had time to settle down and drove them from the southern face of Schwaben. The position was promptly restored with the bayonet, but meanwhile the West Kent had been forced back down the western face, which remained in German hands. At 4 P.M., under cover of a heavy barrage, the East Surrey attacked the northern face, advancing astride the trenches on the right and across the open on the left.

The assault was successful, the whole of the northern face being occupied, but farther to the left, two platoons of the 7/Buffs, supported by the West Kent, could make no progress up the western face. The inevitable counter attack came at 9 P.M., when the tired East surrey in the north face were assailed from the west. They fought gamely, but were obliged to give ground as far as the entrance to Stuff Trench where they held on.’

If you want any more info then please don'y hesitate to PM me.

Steve

Also see this OH map from 3rd September to see the position of the Schwaben Redoubt.

SchwabenOH1916.jpg

Steve

Guest johnmarshall1962

Dear Steve

Thank you so much for all this - fantastically helpful & I'm most grateful to you.

Best wishes

John

Also see this OH map from 3rd September to see the position of the Schwaben Redoubt.

SchwabenOH1916.jpg

Steve