Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stowasser Brown Leather Leggings

BSM

Many images exist of British and Commonwealth troops wearing the Stowasser Pattern leather leggings. These leggings have spiral strapping from the base to the top where there are 2 buckles for securing same.

From the Australian point of view this item of leg protection was worn by both mounted troops and drivers in Mechanical transport Units. Has anybody in the Forum sighted an actual "Authority" or other official document describing or listing the introduction or origin of the "Stawasser" Pattern?

Hello BSM

From the 1911 Dress Regulations, it seems that brown Stohwasser leggings were virtually universal wear (with ankle boots) in service dress, for officers below the rank of colonel, except for dismounted officers of RE and infantry. Colonels and above could wear either butcher boots, or ankle boots with black Stohwasser leggings.

Drss Regs 1900 refers to leggings "as worn by the men" and as having one strap and buckle at the top, and laces. Dress Regs 1934 refers to leggings "of sealed pattern" with laces and six studs, but not straps. Neither of these use the term Stohwasser.

Ron

Hello BSM

From the 1911 Dress Regulations, it seems that brown Stohwasser leggings were virtually universal wear (with ankle boots) in service dress, for officers below the rank of colonel, except for dismounted officers of RE and infantry. Colonels and above could wear either butcher boots, or ankle boots with black Stohwasser leggings.

Drss Regs 1900 refers to leggings "as worn by the men" and as having one strap and buckle at the top, and laces. Dress Regs 1934 refers to leggings "of sealed pattern" with laces and six studs, but not straps. Neither of these use the term Stohwasser.

Ron

Ron thanks much for the notes. In the ACMF, the first reference I have turned up to "Stowasser" (I note you spell it differently) was in our 1903 Dress Regulations. They reappeared in the 1906 regs....see below...which were later modified for 1912. This would have been the basis for the First AIF. Whilst both your Regs and ours mention Stowasser as the type or style there is no indication as to the origin or meaning of the word as it applies to leather leggings.....any thoughts???

Whilst I have a copy of the relevant 1906/12 Regulations this extract from a paper prepared by a friend of mine put it rather succinctly. Regards....Rod

Officers The use of Stowasser leggings for Mounted Officers became the norm as part of the 1906 Dress Regulations, particularly in Commonwealth Pattern Full Dress, and Service Dress.

By MO 362 of 1908 the Australian Volunteer Automobile Corps were allowed to wear brown leather leggings, Stowasser pattern. The wording of this regulation does not specify a difference between officers or ncos and men.

MO 119 of 1909 noted “Approved pattern leather leggings and lace boots may be worn by all arms, in lieu of butcher boots, black with blue pantaloons, brown with cord pantaloons.” These were adopted by Light Horse Officers, RAA, Engineers, Infantry, AASC, and AAMC.

I have an idea that the original Strohwasser leggings were originally a pattern worn by the Austro Hungarian army Can't find the reference I am afraid.

Rod

I had assumed that they were named after the man who either invented/designed them or popularised their use, like Wellington boots or the Sam Browne belt.

I also have a copy of the Canadian Militia dress regs for 1907 which specifies them for staff officers, officers of mounted services and mounted officers of other services. Black with blue pantaloons, brown with service dress.

These regs, like the British ones, use ythe spelling Stohwasser. I only have a small German dictionary but I can't find anything which suggests its etymology. Wasser is water, of course.

Ron

PS in "The Austro-Hungarian Army 1914-1919" in the Almark paperback series there ae two or three illustrations of Austrian officers in service dress wearing leggings with a very obvious strap wound helter-skelter fashion around them. This might confirm an Aus-Hung origin.

Has anybody in the Forum sighted an actual "Authority" or other official document describing or listing the introduction or origin of the "Stawasser" Pattern?[/size][/font]

BSM,

I always thought that Stohwasser leggings were first worn in the Boer War. I could be wrong though in the absence of any regulations.

Scott

EDIT- Just noticed Ron's reference to the 1900 Regs.

Here is a copy of the 1899 Stohwasser & Winter's US patent:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OsN1AAAAE...lt&resnum=7

This identifies them as London based. My guess is that use of the legging began with the British in the Boer War, then spread to other Commonwealth forces.

Well what a gem of information John has provided (in my humble opinion). Thank you all for your comments and I would say that John from the US has hit the old nail right on the head so to speak. 1899...as others suggested, the pattern has been around for quite some time. Interesting to note, from my perspective, is the difference in spelling in our Regulations. Interesting because they would have had a strong English influence when drawn up. I'm in the latter stage of a book on the AIF MT and whilst puttees were worn by drivers, leather leggings were predominant hence my interest. The style varies from the diagram in John's Patent find but evolution is to be expected plus the fact that post Federation most of this kit was manufactured in Australia.....thanks again....Rod

Military Uniform Changes.HC Deb 24 November 1902 vol 115 cc241-2 241

§ MAJOR RASCH () Essex, Chelmsford I beg to ask the Secretary of State for War whether his attention has been called to the fact that, owing to the alterations in uniform ordered by the authorities, officers have had to supply themselves with a fresh sash (the pattern approved in January, 1902, having been changed), new fronts to their frock coats (the width between buttons having been altered), spat putties in place of gaiters (since which spat putties are not regulation), new sleeves to the service coat with badges of rank, and a new service greatcoat during the past twelve months; and will he say who is responsible for these alterations.

§ MR. BRODRICK As regards the sash no alteration has been made in the pattern since January, 1902. The alteration of the distance between the buttons in the frock coat was for the purpose of improving the appearance. As regards spat putties, they were made regulation on the introduction of the service dress, and remain so, except for mounted officers of dismounted units who asked for and were granted permission to wear the ordinary putties without spats. The pattern legging for mounted units is not yet settled: and meanwhile officers are allowed to wear the Stohwasser gaiter or puttie. The badges of rank have been altered because the former patterns were not sufficiently distinctive, but new sleeves are not required for the service coat. The new service great-coat became a necessity on the introduction of the service dress. Certain alterations in dress have been deemed necessary by the military authorities, but it si desired to reduce these changes to a minimum.

§ MAJOR RASCH May I ask the right hon. Gentleman how an officer can live on his pay and defray the cost of all this millinery?

Just got around to taking a couple pics of my pair of Stowasser gaiters. Patent stamp is faint but name Stowasser and Winters Conduit Street is clear enough.

stow1.JPG

stow2.JPG

Here's the British patent for Stohwasser & Winter - again 1899 - and they residents of 39 Conduit Street, London.

Stohwasser Patent

Best wishes,

GT.

Thanks GT for the additional info. Unable to open the link at this time (site says it has a back end problem??) so will check it out later. Rod

Just got around to taking a couple pics of my pair of Stowasser gaiters. Patent stamp is faint but name Stowasser and Winters Conduit Street is clear enough.

John, mate thanks again. Must admit I had not put a lot of effort into the search but given the different spellings (with and without the "H") the level of difficulty went up just a tad! Nice detailed image. Note the "H" in the manufacturers stamp. Are they US issue? Australian versions that I have seen (and I have a couple of pairs stashed somewhere - we move recently) are made of smooth leather and don't have the "orange peel" finish. Rod

While there is discussion regarding Stohwasser leggings- were they also worn by German officers in East Africa?

Scott.