Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Carshalton War Memorial, Surrey

ASA1

Hi everyone,

I have set up a website about the men from Carshalton in Surrey who gave their lives during the war and are commemorated on the local war memorial.

The website address is www.carshaltonwarmemorial.webs.com

If anyone has any further information about the men on the memorial, please get in touch either here or via the website.

Many thanks.

Regards,

ASA1

Nice site and well laid out - just wondering why the debt management ad. has prime location?

One of the drawbacks of free hosting I'm afraid!! - no say on ad content or position...

Thanks for posting ASA1 and well done.

Have spent the odd evening in The Greyhound looking across the ponds thinking about the chaps on the memorial. I know a couple of them are on the Royal Mail memorial at Sutton Delivery office if its of any use to you.

regards Stuart.

Cheers Stuart - I wasn't even aware there was one there. Whereabouts is the memorial and I'll have a look next time I'm up that way?

ASA1

I'm afraid the memorial is within the the Royal Mail delivery office and is out of bounds to members of the public. It's inscribed with the names of those postman who died in the Great War. I worked there some years ago and still have a couple of contacts. I'll try and get a photo if it's of use,

regards Stuart

Thanks Stuart, if its not too much trouble...

ASA1,

Nice website, many thanks.

Regards

ASA1,

excellent website. I have some photographs in my collection that may be of interest. In particular Tom Bradbury of the Scots Guards. I will post them tomorrow and you are welcome to use them on your website. I also have a few bits relating to the Sutton and Wallington War memorials.

Simon.

ASA1

Here is the photo as promised.

regards Stuart

post-25579-1247146222.jpg

David, Stuart and High Wood -

Thank you all for your posts, and sorry for the delayed response. All information is greatly appreciated.

High Wood - thanks for the postcard, amazing. I will post it on my site shortly. Some of the men on the Carshalton memorial are also commeorated on the Sutton and Wallington memorials.

Regards,

Andy

Andy,

pm me your email address and I will send a higher definition photograph for your website. There were several other photographs that came with the one that I posted. The first is of a Scots Guards soldier, presumably one of Tom Bradbury's mates.

post-6480-1247172113.jpg

The next two are soldiers of the ASC and were sent to Miss E Bradbury. The first has, "with best love Tom". The second says, My dear Edie I am writing to you. I have got a good job. Will tell you in letter. Best love Tom".

I do not know if Tom Bradbury served in the ASC before joining the Scots Guards or wether it is a different Tom.

post-6480-1247172452.jpg

post-6480-1247172503.jpg

Cheers high wood.

Not sure if that is the same tom. According to the newpaper report I have reproduced on my site, Tom Bradbury was 27 in 1915 and had already served for 12 years. Unfortunately I don't think his service record survives. His medal card only shows the Scots Guards, also a disembarkation date of 13th August 1918.

I tried to send you a PM but it wouldn't work for some reason. My email address is shown on the 'contact me' page of my website.

Regards,

Andy

Andy,

Have sent you an e-mail with pictures of a higher definition of the memorial at Sutton,

Stuart

Hi everyone,

I have set up a website about the men from Carshalton in Surrey who gave their lives during the war and are commemorated on the local war memorial.

The website address is www.carshaltonwarmemorial.webs.com

If anyone has any further information about the men on the memorial, please get in touch either here or via the website.

Many thanks.

Regards,

ASA1

I have Photos and personal info on Men on the Memorial ,please PM me for details.One Carshalton Lad is also commemorated on the memorial at Croydon Bus Garage.