Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd I.L Coy, Middlesex Regiment

7KRRC

I have two campaign medal for a corporal of the 2nd I.L Coy, Middlesex Regiment. What does the "I.L" stand for? Plus what did this company do during the war? :huh:

Thanks for looking!

IL stands for Infantry Labour. This was a company that usually contained sons of "alians". What was the corporal's name?

Myrtle

Schumacher

IL stands for Infantry Labour. This was a company that usually contained sons of "alians". What was the corporal's name?

Myrtle

Whilst we're on the subject...his page on the medal roll shows these other surnames.........Schwenk, Hayward, Kropf, Braeske, Klaas

Soldiers of alian parentage, were sent to the works battalion of the Middlesex known as the 30th Middlesex which was eventually known as the "Kaiser's Own." The battalion was formed in July 1916 and was followed by a second, the 31st Battalion in September 1916. Four Middlesex Infantry Labour Coys were sent to Flanders to work on repairing roads and railway lines in early 1917. Cpl Schumacher, who I presume was Henry Schumacher, would have been amongst these men.

Myrtle

• 10 years later...

useful post - Ive just got medals to a chap in the 7th IL Coy who indeed has a German/Austrian name