Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC gravestones

alf mcm

Can anyone tell my why it is that on some CWGC gravestones the regimental badge is located above the cross, and in others the badge is superimposed on the cross. Did the design change after a certain date?

Regards,

Alf McM

Each regiment was given the choice of which design to use for their casualties. Some chose one, some chose the other.

Each regiment was given the choice of which design to use for their casualties. Some chose one, some chose the other.

Thanks Terry, that makes sense.

Regards,

Alf

Just last week I saw this for the first time. The headstone I saw is at Adelaide Cemetery, Villers-Bretonneux, and the soldier is from the 40th Battalion AIF. I expect that all of the 40th Battalion AIF would have chosen this design. I asked our tour guide about it and he said he had never seen it before. So it is good to have an explanation. Many thanks

regards

Judy

I have just seen a photo of a headstone of a member of the 40th Battalion AIF with the Rising Sun Badge above the cross whereas the one I saw at Adelaide Cemetery had the Rising Sun Badge inside the cross. However I now realise this is not the same as a Regimental Badge as previously explained above. However I still wonder why this difference in the placement of the Rising Sun Badge.

with thanks for all suggestions

kind regards

Judy

There also exists a stone with the Canadian maple leaf badge in the centre of the cross.

I asked the CWGC headstone 'expert' at their factory in Arras about these and he had no explanation other than their being either experimental or possibly a stonemason's error; hence their scarcity.

Many thanks Terry. Even if there isn't an explanation it's good to have an 'answer' as it were.

Judy

Hi

I think it is quite random as to whether the Badge is above a cross or within but I have never seen an Unknown soldier whose regiment is known in any form other than badge above the Cross but with Gunners where the on the cross is the norm the unidentified gunners can be found with the badge in a triangle.

There is a strange one in Ancre British cemetery where the badge is below the cross but I cannot find my copy of the Stone.

Peter

Heres 2 that appear to be random.

• 4 years later...

Hi

I think it is quite random as to whether the Badge is above a cross or within but I have never seen an Unknown soldier whose regiment is known in any form other than badge above the Cross but with Gunners where the on the cross is the norm the unidentified gunners can be found with the badge in a triangle.

There is a strange one in Ancre British cemetery where the badge is below the cross but I cannot find my copy of the Stone.

Peter

That has to do with the amount of lines of text (incl. epitaph). If there are too many lines, they have to put the badge on top with the small cross otherwise there wouldn't be enough space for the text.

Sorry but I do not understand your statement in post 12 with my quote. My first para refers to unidentified by name which have no inscription, I did not explain well the stone referred to in the second para so will attach a picture

Peter

post-14342-0-16236900-1382587992_thumb.j