Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer Training School, Etaples

paul.hickey

I have aphoto of Lt Leo McCartin MC 16th Btn AIF, with two British officers. On the back it says

"25/10/16 Taken when at M C School Paris Plage". I understand that this is at Estaples near the 'Bull Ring' ?

I havent been able to track down any useful info or pictures re the School, Paris Plage, Estaples, the Bull Ring etc

Does anyone have any info, please ?

Hello Leo

I think it is more likely to be the MG or MGC (machine gun corps) School which was just up the coast from the Etaples base. Lewis Gunners from the infantry were trained there, as well as the Vickers gunners of the MGC itself.

Ron

The Lewis Gun School was at Le Touquet Paris Plage, which is on the other side of the River Canche from Etaples. The site was on what is now the southern side of the golf course. With regard to the Bull Ring at Etaples., there appears to have been two of them; one below Etaples military cemetery which is the one mainly referred to, and a second on the ridge above Etaples.

TR

• Admin

Hi was at Etaples in December, nowadays Paris Plage is about a 20 minute drive from the cemetery. The MGC depot was at Camiers which is north of both locations, though it's easy to imagine machine gun practice over the sea at Paris Plage. brrr! not quite barbie weather!

A contemporary map of the depot at Etaples is here http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/gwa/document/9127?REC=5

Ken

Re: Lt Leo McCartin MC - 22nd Battalion, AIF

Thanks for your help with this.

On looking closely at the writing I can see that it it probably is "M.G.School, Paris-Plage".

This fits with a document that we got from the War Memorial - a copy of an application that he made to join the Flying Corps, where he lists under Qualifications: "Lewis M.G.School at La Torquay France and a fair knowledge of Vickers Gun".

Was this an Australian or British training school - probably the latter (?) since the photo on the front of the card is of Leo with two British Officers. Can you direct me to a specific Unit name,any photos, records etc of this Unit.

Looks like we wont be visiting there in December!!

Thanks again

Hello again

It should be LE TOUQUET, which is the town next to Paris-Plage. I believe that the School served the British and Dominion forces.

Ron